Windows 10 News and Announcements...

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by jclausius, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    A somewhat random post, but these are the registry settings & values you want enabled if you want to ensure that retpoline is enabled in your Windows 10. (I'm partially writing this here so I can link the picture to a Guru3D forum, as it only accepts url's rather than uploading images)
    retpoline.jpg

Also, I found out that by using InSpectre to disable & then enable Spectre protection - it doesn't play nice with the retpoline patch, in as much as it doesn't revert the registry back to all the correct values if you decide to re-enable Spectre protection. If you want retpoline functionality to go back to normal after disabling & then re-enabling Spectre protection using InSpectre, then you'll need to use RegEdit to go into the registry and make sure both of these entries have the values listed in the pic above (InSpectre will leave one of those variables with the wrong value).

Spartan likes this.
  2. pete962

pete962 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Actually Win10 should not start update without user approval and it should rollback to last good configuration from the very beginning, in case of no boot, wasn't that already implemented in Win7 ? I could swear I've seen that option somewhere, but haven't have any issues with Win 7 for years, so not remember details.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  3. jclausius

jclausius Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    "Microsoft Asks Users to Call Windows 10 Devs About ALT+TAB Feature"

- Microsoft has started to display notifications in the Windows 10 Action Center asking users to have a phone call with Microsoft developers and provide direct feedback about the ALT+TAB feature in Windows.

- Windows 10 product team is looking to "understand our customer needs" and would like to have an anonymous 5-10 minute phone call with the user.

- ...the phone call will be with Microsoft engineers to discuss how users use the ALT+TAB feature to switch between apps.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...o-call-windows-10-devs-about-alt-tab-feature/

They just can't leave some things well enough alone. And since they're thinking about possible design changes, let's redesign an automobile so that foot pedal on the right is the "right" turn signal and the foot pedal on the left is the "left" turn signal. Oh, and also, let's redesign the screw so a clockwise turn will loosen a screw.

I guess on the bright side is it doesn't say they're going to get rid of ALT-TAB altogether. SMH

Aroc and Papusan like this.
  4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Windows Calc Source-Code: A Nightmare…
    Posted by Borncity.com | March 24, 2019

[​IMG]
    Windows Calc app is located on billions of computers, because it is sipped with Windows. Recently the source code of the program was released as Open Source on GitHub. Some people have inspected the program code, and came to the conclusion, that’s a nightmare. Memory leaks, clipboard content goes to Microsoft server, calculation errors and more.

5. jclausius

Reputations:
    "From alert to driver vulnerability: Microsoft Defender ATP investigation unearths privilege escalation flaw"

- third-party kernel drivers are becoming a more appealing target for attackers and an important area of research for security analysts

- Computer manufacturers usually ship devices with software and tools that facilitate device management. These software and tools, including drivers, often contain components that run with ring-0 privileges in the kernel

- We traced the anomalous behavior to a device management driver developed by Huawei

- Starting in Windows 10, version 1809, the kernel has been instrumented with new sensors designed to trace User APC code injection initiated by a kernel code, providing better visibility into kernel threats like DOUBLEPULSAR

https://www.microsoft.com/security/...d=_qfa3gxmmgwkfrzslxcm9pyfc6f2xmkntu030m3eu00

"How Microsoft found a Huawei driver that opened systems to attack"

- Huawei MateBook systems that are running the company's PCManager software included a driver that would let unprivileged users create processes with superuser privileges

- The insecure driver was discovered by Microsoft using some of the new monitoring features added to Windows version 1809 that are monitored by the company's Microsoft Defender Advanced Threat Protection (ATP) service.

- Windows 10 version 1809 included tracing designed to detect DOUBLEPULSAR-type backdoors. DOUBLEPULSAR is one of the many techniques devised by the National Security Agency and subsequently leaked.

Kudos to the Redmondians on this one. Gotta give credit where credit is due.

Papusan and Vasudev like this.
  6. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    It means they can pinpoint any threats and get advanced response within an hour to get detailed analysis and action.
    19H1's Defender is on-par with Kaspersky Free but as usual Defender sometimes runs slow on low end system with HDD and RAM. Kaspersky simply is flawless.

jclausius likes this.
  7. jclausius

Reputations:
    Part of the credit goes to their discovering and reporting the vulnerability to begin with.

Vasudev likes this.
  8. Papusan

Reputations:
    I have Kaspersky Free in a couple of my machines. I still hate that slow GUI startup. Amazing that Kaspersky never bothered fix this mess. You say simply Flawless? Nope!
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...tion-oct-dec-2018.827442/page-2#post-10878484

Vasudev and jclausius like this.
  9. Papusan

Reputations:
    Over Half of Windows 10 Users May Never Update to Version 1809

----------------------------------------------------------------

Windows 10 V1809 will not come and the V1903 will not be available April 1, 2019
    Published on March 28, 2019 by Günter Born
    [​IMG]
    Microsoft is in the final spurt in terms of release of Windows 10 version 1903. What I can say: The release is not on April 1, 2019, for a very specific reason. And Windows 10 version 1809 will never be widely distributed - it's sort of the 'Failure Function Update of the Year'. Here are a few (not always serious) information, with a strong background.

10. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Kaspersky free is deprecated :oops: I switched to KSC Free on my sis's but v1803 is bugged so I need to update to v1809 beta build, I'm holding it off to v1903 public release.