Windows 10 News and Announcements...

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by jclausius, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    People should be thankful that the downgrade to 2004 is being blocked by their settings.
    Two cliche expressions come to mind that are fitting:
    - Never look a gift horse in the mouth.
    - Be careful what you ask for. You might actually get it.

Was there something in the article @Papusan link relating to the Mail app? I did not notice anything relating to it. Did you discover some disturbing news about the Mail app? I don't use it, but I know some folks do.

Vasudev and Papusan like this.
  2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I do use Mail app then again, it doesn't make sense to ship faulty UWP apps that don't work so I'm removing it to save some 200MB on Iso.

Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  3. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Ah, yes. That makes good sense.

Having been an Outlook user (and a very happy one at that) since it was first released in Office 97 I find myself in a bit of a dilemma. Outlook Express was also an excellent free email client. Probably still to this day the best one other than Outlook. Finding a decent email client is a real problem. I don't think a truly good alternative to Outlook even exists.

Outlook is really the only product that remains in Micro$lop's product line that I find compelling. I hate that I am so reliant on it because my goal is to ultimately eliminate Micro$lop completely and transition to Linux 100%. I'm not happy about that at all, but I am more unhappy at the thought of putting up with more crap and idiotic nonsense from Micro$lop. crApple/Crapintosh hardware and software garbage will never be something I view as an acceptable option, so that's where it leaves me. Things could have turned out great. Micro$lop used to be a great company that offered great products and I am sad to see where we are today. Linux isn't great either, but I view it as the lesser evil among the three options available.

On Linux, the situation with finding a good email client is no better, and I'd even go as far to say it is worse. Evolution is probably the best, followed by Geary. Evolution and Geary are very similar to the free Micro$lop Mail app. None of them are great products. Thunderbird absolutely sucks. I'd just use webmail to avoid it. I hate using webmail.

TL;DR - Outlook is the only decent email client that exists. None of the alternatives are good.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
    Vasudev likes this.
  4. Vasudev

Reputations:
    I recently started using paid Outlook on MSO Pro 2019 otherwise I used Thunderbird (still being used on Linux). Lately, outlook 2019 is super slow on branch 1909 and it is slower than thunderbird. Dunno the reason, everything opens slowly or never opens at all! Being observing it on Outlook mobile on iOS(Mom's) and Android(Mine).

5. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Yes, Outlook can be slow, especially when I have 6 email accounts storing messages locally dating back 10 to 15 years, LOL. It's an attractive UI and superior organization that it offers that keeps me hooked on Outlook. With Thunderbird it is what I consider to be an extremely unattractive UI that turns me off. I value function and performance most, but if I do not like how something looks I won't use it even if it works well. I'm just kind of weird that way. I would hate Windows 10 even if it had none of the garbage that I despise and was exactly the same as Windows 7 under the hood simply because I consider it extremely disgusting-looking without massive tweaks to make it aesthetically closer to resembling the Windows 7 desktop environment.

6. Jdpurvis

Jdpurvis Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I agree about Outlook's organization - and integration with Office is helpful as well. So, I continue to use it in the work environment. I think it is great if you are linking with an Exchange Server. However, I have had multiple problems with my two personal email accounts (gmail and verizon.net). Repeated requests for two factor identification, crashes, needing to uninstall and reinstall to get it too fetch mail. The biggest pain was that Outlook kept changing email servers on me based on some old data it had that said Yahoo was serving Verizon.net (it did at one time, but not presently. So I switched to Thunderbird for personal email. It works consistently and much faster than Outlook (outlook would take several minutes before getting the first email from Verizon, even in the absence of any other email accounts. I had several wasted calls with Microsoft trying to get Outlook fixed to no avail.

7. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Yes, I have encountered some of that nonsense as well. Many of the issues with Micro$lop products revolve around their feeble efforts to make things "secure" and it seems the cure is often worse than the disease.

I think I finally have the two-factor authentication mess figured out with Gmail and Yahoo mail. Certainly has been inconvenient. Gmail and Yahoo also give me more fits on my laptop when I travel due to the geolocation bull crap. My desktop at home never misses a beat, but as soon as my laptop is in a new place far from home I start having random access issues and warnings about my account being accessed from a new location. I really hate that nonsense.

I really do hate Thunderbrid because of how it looks. I'd probably just endure the hassle of using only webmail before I would embrace Thunderbird. If they made it look and feel like something very similar to Outlook I wouldn't have an issue with it. It makes me feel like I am using a Linux software product that was released in 1995.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
    Vasudev and Papusan like this.
  8. epguy3

epguy3 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    https://www.zdnet.com/article/micro...10-2004-update-for-surface-devices-after-all/

https://www.thurrott.com/mobile/mic...s-are-not-getting-windows-10-version-2004-yet

https://www.neowin.net/news/windows...still-not-be-removed-for-many-surface-devices

9. Vasudev

Reputations:
    I fixed the issue after disabling indexing for my emails. Haha..
    Also I made Thunderbird look better with Thunderbird conversation addon much better than classic Thunderbird.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  10. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    For the first time I have seen a useful app from Windows Store:D

Misterious new AppManager app uninstalls even Cortana windowsreport.com | Today

How can you uninstall an app in Windows 10? There are more methods but probably the quickest is to open the Settings > Apps option.

Well, there's a new app in the Microsoft Store, developed by
    Explorer Intern Project‬ that does that and more. Learn more from our article below
    .................................................................................................................
    Maybe stop the use of free paid guinea pig and rather start hire some competent engineers:D
    [​IMG]
    Windows 10's Feedback Hub: A forum for political trolls, spammers bleepingcomputers.com | Today

When Microsoft made the Feedback Hub universal app available to Windows 10 Insiders in March 2016 and generally available two months later, the plan was for the app to be the perfect tool for users to report issues and share suggestions on how to improve Windows experience for all customers.

However, as reported by users over the weekend and as BleepingComputer was able to confirm, the Windows 10 Feedback Hub is also now being used as a spam platform and a forum by political trolls.

..............................................................................................................

[​IMG]
    Windows 10 version 2004 upgrade remains blocked for many devices windowslatest.com | Today

Windows 10's May 2020 Update, also known as version 2004, was released to consumers and businesses on May 27. Microsoft said that the May 2020 Update is available for users who wanted it through...

..........................................................................................................

Windows 10 v2004 fails to install with Media Creation tool for some users winaero.com | Today
    no comments

It looks like Windows 10 version 2004 has one more issue. A number of reports are circulating on the Internet that Windows Media Creation tool fails to upgrade the OS to the latest Windows 10 version 2004.

Vasudev and Spartan@HIDevolution like this.