Windows 10 News and Announcements...

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by jclausius, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    I have never seen so many bugs in any build like this. This had a very long beta/preview program going on too! :rolleyes:

2. jclausius

jclausius Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    It is been a SAD, SAD drop from where this company once stood. What I don't know is if the population in general knows how bad it is?? For me, it's now 100% Linux all the way!

Fire Tiger and Papusan like this.
  3. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    There is zero reason for upgrade to this mess. Maybe around Christmas time or the spring 2021 for those with regular Windows versions. But I expect the buggy problems will continue in same way as with 1903 when 1909 came out from the small patch. We suddenly got two almost identical versions with same problems. No thanks.

jclausius and Fire Tiger like this.
  4. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Storage spaces issues?? I need to go home and turn my Server updates off

jclausius likes this.
  5. Papusan

Reputations:
    Why not use the few engineers they still have to fix current versions? Build a new Win 10 version on top of their new released buggy mess will only make the coming OS equal messy! Doomed to fail!

[​IMG]
    Microsoft announces Windows 10 version 20H2 update windowslatest.com | Today

Microsoft has made it official: Windows 10's next update will now be officially known as Windows 10 version 20H2 and it would be a minor release with a focus on quality improvements... As we noted above, Microsoft hasn’t committed to an official release date for Windows 10 version 20H2 update to the millions of PCs who aren’t in the Insider beta testing program.

About a month after Microsoft began shipping the new and shiny Windows 10 May 2020 Update, the company announced Tuesday that it’s begun shipping the first builds on its next feature release: Windows 10 20H2.

jclausius likes this.
  6. Papusan

Reputations:
    It seem's Microsoft is in need for more test machines to help fix their new buggy OS version:)

Microsoft Begins Force Installing Latest Windows 10 Version 2004 on Some Devices wccftech.com | Today

In an update today, Microsoft has announced that it has started to train its machine learning based process that is used to automatically update devices that are approaching end of service. This means v2004 surprise is coming for those of you still running Windows 10 versions from 2018 and earlier.

[Updated List] And It Begins… All the Windows 10 v2004 Known Issues as Confirmed by Microsoft Itself | Today
    [​IMG]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

[​IMG]
    Windows 10 2004 may break Storage Spaces, avoid using chkdsk bleepingcomputer.com | Today

Microsoft says that users could experience issues using or accessing Storage Spaces configurations on some devices after updating them to Windows 10, version 2004, or Windows Server, version 2004.

No workaround available

While at the moment there is no workaround to prevent these issues from affecting some Storage Spaces configurations after applying the May 2020 Update, users can still access their data by marking them as read-only to continue using them.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
    jclausius, 6730b and Fire Tiger like this.
  7. epguy3

epguy3 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    and now Microsoft will be resuming the offering of "Optional" Win10 updates starting in July 2020 after pausing them last month

"Resuming optional Windows 10 and Windows Server non-security monthly updates"
    https://techcommunity.microsoft.com...-and-windows-server-non-security/ba-p/1471429

"Microsoft to resume Windows optional cumulative updates in July" - from Bleepingcomputer
    https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...-windows-optional-cumulative-updates-in-july/

and that MS Defragger bug in 2004/20H1 is still there (let's not forget about that, Papusan):
    https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...t-defragger-bug-defrags-ssd-drives-too-often/

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
    Papusan likes this.
  8. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Well that sucked, I just tried to update to the new 2004 version - it appeared automatically in my Windows Updates so I didn't do it manually. I mean I did choose for it to be installed, just I didn't do it manually. Anyway, the update failed and I ended up in a boot loop where it was trying to repair the startup, but it couldn't. Of course I did a Macrium Reflect backup of the small OS partition before I started the update procedure, and I went into a USB booted Macrium Reflect to restore the image of the backed up OS partition. It carried out that restoration sucessfully but then I was stuck in the same boot loop again. So I went into the BIOS and looked at the different boot options and my Sabrent NVMe drive wasn't even listed (which is my OS drive)! So I go into some more boot options and managed to find a kinda obsure part of the BIOS where I could choose whether to use an old redundant boot partition of one of my SSD's that are in there (from another PC) and thankfully also showed the boot partition of my Sabrent NVMe drive - so I selected the latter which brought the Sabrent boot partition up as an option in the main section of the BIOS. I then rebooted and my PC is finally back to normal! I have a feeling that the update to Windows version 2004 would have worked if I had done this last step when it was stuck in the boot loop the first time, but it's still an error in the 2004 update process. As it stands I am still on version 1909 - given my experience I'll be staying on this one until they force me to install version 2004 then! And if they haven't resolved this error in their update process by that point, at least I'll know I can probably get the new update installed by doing that last step I described to select Sabrent boot partition in UEFI BIOS. Windows update process should be messing with my BIOS though. Fail from Microsoft.

EDIT: Actually, it's not fixed, I get an error each time I restart the computer - then if I select "Recovery" it boots fine and is usable until next restart. The "Recovery" process is very quick though, as quick as pressing the button almost. Something wrong though, ideas? I'll update with the error code. Here's a pic of the error code at each startup:
    IMG_20200618_200751181.jpg
    Pressing Esc for recovery works and allows me to boot into the desktop but I have to do this each time I restart the PC, any ideas on how to fix?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
  9. Papusan

Reputations:
    See if you find something here... Windows 10 May 2020 Update common problems — and the fixes

................................................................................

Windows 10 version 2004 slams into a Storage Spaces brick wall woody on windows | Today
    According to official sources, the latest Windows upgrade contains a bug in the Storage Spaces feature. Information, as usual, is sketchy. We have no idea what triggers the bug, or whether rolling back to 1909 will fix it, but .... why is Microsoft still driving this train wreck?

Given the likely severity of the problem, Microsoft should yank version 2004 now, and hope that more people don’t lose their data. It isn't enough to hide behind an upgrade block.

Microsoft shouldn’t have shipped Win10 version 2004.
    Delaying the ship date is the first item in my list of Five steps Microsoft should take RIGHT NOW to help us through the pandemic, published two months ago. There are no feature upgrades worthy of the term – version 2004 primarily re-arranges the chairs on the deck. In the “tick-tock” new Win10 scheme of version upgrades every six months, this one doesn’t tick. It thuds.

After fives months of testing the final version of Win10 version 2004, we get this.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
    Robbo99999 likes this.
  10. jclausius

jclausius Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    "Microsoft releases cumulative updates to fix Windows 10 print error issues "

- Over the weekend, Microsoft acknowledged a print spooler issue that was caused by last week's Patch Tuesday updates.

- The issue affected all supported versions of Windows, including Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 versions 1507, 1607, 1709, 1803, 1809, 1903, 1909, and 2004.

- Today, the Redmond firm is releasing cumulative updates to fix the issue, but only for some of the affected versions. Versions 1909 and 1903 are getting KB4567512, version 1809 is getting KB4567513, and version 1803 is getting KB4567514. As of right now, there's no solution for Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 versions 1507, 1607, or 2004.

https://www.neowin.net/news/microso...-updates-to-fix-windows-10-print-error-issues

If you first break it, fix and fix again.

Papusan likes this.