Windows 10 News and Announcements...

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by jclausius, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    A follow up on
    Windows 10 Update Causing Severe In-Game Performance Issues Tomshardware | Mar 7, 2019

Windows 10 Update KB4482887, has been confirmed by Micro$oft to severely hamper performance in certain games.

upload_2019-3-7_23-52-20.png

---------------------------------------

And of course... Why not screw up Windows Server 2016 as well?:rolleyes:

Blue screens acknowledged with the latest Server 2016 second February cumulative update, KB 4487006 Askwoody.com | Mar 7, 2019

Micro$oft has just acknowledged a Blue Screen error in Server 2016 if you install the “optional non-security” February patch, KB 4487006:

In some cases, Windows Server will stop working and restart when hosting multiple terminal server sessions and a user logs off. The faulting driver is win32kbase.sys.

Microsoft is working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release.

Yet another reason why you should avoid the second monthly cumulative updates until they’ve been vetted and rolled into a “real” Patch Tuesday cumulative update.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  2. jclausius

jclausius Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
  3. pete962

pete962 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Since worldwide new pc shipments in 2018 were about 260 million, September to March is about 6 months, so that's about 130 mln pcs, take out about 10 mln pcs for mac and Linux, so I'm still missing about 20 mln, what happened to those since you can't install old windows on new hardware without major driver issues, or can you? That's assuming no one downgraded to Win10 from previous versions.
    I'm not sure what's MS bragging point is here, that they didn't completely kill PC yet?
    It seems obvious MS didn't ask Mr. Fox and many other members here their opinions, but still seems like this customer satisfaction is a bit of a stretch.

jclausius and Papusan like this.
  4. GrandesBollas

GrandesBollas Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What I can't shake is the total and complete lack of accountability. MS OS is pervasive, world-wide. Yet, MS is able to publish updates that are broken, impact performance and who knows what else. MS is a monopoly. No doubt. There is no real competition such as AMD/Intel.; AMD/NVIDIA. When Standard Oil/AT&T had this kind of market power, breakups were not long in coming.

Ashtrix, jclausius and Papusan like this.
  5. pete962

pete962 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm not trying to excuse MS for their messups at all, but complexity of Windows 10 software itself, various versions they need to support and all different hardware that exists and need to be supported, makes it kind of difficult to test every combination and make sure it works perfectly, so I would expect some errors to slip by. For the record I experienced numerous errors myself, due to bad updates, to the point of computer not booting up. What really gets me is lack of user control over those updates. I know some updates are bad and some security updates I need, but I can't choose and actually there is no official way of stopping those updates. So I get bad update, restore computer back to normal and it updates again with no official way to stop it. WTF

6. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Man I miss Windows 7 when you would hit check for updates, then see a list of update categorized with OS updates, security updates, driver updates, and you can simply hide the ones you don't want. Wasn't life so beautiful?

Aroc and jclausius like this.
  7. GrandesBollas

GrandesBollas Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I work in an industry where lack of adequate software quality assurance means the difference between someone going home at the end of the day. MS's behavior in forcing updates to users whether they requested them or not is no different than having an outside organization take control of all user choices. $6000 is a lot of money to say to someone, "come and get it."

Best we can do is protect ourselves and delay the inevitable. Looking forward to the day MS pushes an update on person or organization of authority, resulting in catastrophic disaster.

Lack of software quality assurance will surely get you there:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Therac-25

jclausius likes this.
  8. Papusan

Reputations:
    If they can't test their patches and OS properly they should stop push for two major updates each year (Windows as services is a huge mess). A good start is to hire more PAID employees instead of relying on guinea pig + only one major update every year. What they throw out now doesn't woks.

Edit.
    Microsoft's data-focused approach to Windows Updates requires an update Ghacks.net | Mar 8, 2019
    Microsoft uses a data-focused approach to determine if updates are ready for wider distribution and it appears that the company is very content with the approach.

Issues of recent updates suggest that Microsoft may need to rethink its strategy when it comes to Windows Updates.

Microsoft started a new series on the official Windows Experience blog some time ago in which company representatives lift the veil in regards to the company's strive for quality.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
    Ashtrix and jclausius like this.
  9. Papusan

Reputations:
    Windows 10 to Automatically Remove Updates That Cause Problems bleepingcomputer.com | Mar 11, 2019

Windows 10 will automatically uninstall Windows updates that cause startup failures due to incompatibility or issues in new software according to a support document published by Microsoft today.

Windows updates will be automatically removed when Windows detects that it has recovered from a startup failure after all other "automatic recovery attempts have been unsuccessful."

In addition, as a countermeasure for future issues caused by the uninstalled updates, Windows will also blacklist them from installing during the next 30 days.

Aroc and Robbo99999 like this.
  10. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    That doesn't sound like a bad move, should be useful for folks that aren't too tech savvy and don't have drive images that they can apply easily.