Windows 10 News and Announcements...

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by jclausius, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Wipe the error log with Bleachbit,CCleaner,wise cleaner and Dism++. Re-check and you will not get that pesky error log stating driver and critical updates failed to install. There's no compulsion to update drivers every now and then. I changed my policy recently and update driver when new W10 is released after GP testing from Ultra Male and others. Once they give green signal I jump on it.

2. pete962

pete962 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks for the advice, but any particular reason why you're suggesting 4 application to clean error logs or do you mean either one? I used DISM++ which does the job, CCleaner I have not updated since last spring and didn't even know it can clean error logs until now, Bleachbit I haven't run for a while but running now, wise cleaner I'm not familiar with.

3. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Maybe Micro$h4ft should re-do their mess and go for maximum 1 major OS update each year?
    [​IMG]
    Windows 10 1809 Finally Hits 21% Adoption Rate As We Await the Release of Version 1903

--------------------------------------

Windows 10: New study shows Home edition users are baffled by updates Zdnet.com | February 26, 2019
    How annoying are Windows 10's automatic updates? In a new study, a group of UK researchers report that users of Home edition experience unexpected restarts and inconsistent installation times, caused by inappropriate defaults and inadequate notice of pending updates.

The single biggest complaint about Windows 10 is its approach to security and feature updates. Monthly cumulative updates and twice-yearly feature updates are downloaded and installed automatically, which can result in unexpected reboots that disrupt productivity and risk the loss of unsaved work. That pain point is particularly acute for anyone running Windows 10 Home edition, which lacks any controls for delaying and deferring those updates.

jclausius and Robbo99999 like this.
  4. Papusan

Reputations:
    Windows 10 loses share as Windows 7 makes significant gains Betanews.com | Mar 1, 2019
    [​IMG]
    There are lots of ways to measure Windows share including StatCounter and Steam. Like most other tech sites, BetaNews has always focused on NetMarketShare, and at the start of the year the analyst firm finally reported that Windows 10 had overtaken its main rival, Windows 7 (a move that was a long time coming seeing as others had reported this happening months earlier).

In January, the new OS consolidated its lead, but in February things were far less rosy for Windows 10...

hmscott, Ashtrix, jclausius and 3 others like this.
  5. Raiderman

Raiderman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Cant wait for that day when Linux overtakes Windows, or anything at the top besides Windows 10.

6. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    We'll wait for our grandchildren to grow up and ask them which they like, I hope they don't say iFruit. Linux market share might be 15%

Ashtrix likes this.
  7. Raiderman

Raiderman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    True, but its nice to dream. Would be nice to have a viable alternative to windows.

Ashtrix and Papusan like this.
  8. Papusan

Reputations:
    Ashtrix, Raiderman and jclausius like this.
  9. Raiderman

Raiderman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thats actually pretty cool. Reminds me of the hacks we did on the HTC WinMo Phone.

Ashtrix and Papusan like this.
  10. Papusan

Reputations:
    Win10 1809 second February cumulative update, KB 4482887, blamed for “crazy” performance drops in some games Askwoody.com | March 6th, 2019

Microsoft hasn’t acknowledged the bug yet, but it looks like the second February cumulative update (the “optional, non-security update”) for Win10 version 1809, released on March 1, is clobbering some games.

Moral of the story: Don’t go clicking Check for updates! That’s the only way you’re gonna get this “optional non-security” cumulative update.

Man, and I had hoped that the extended 1809 testing rounds would catch this kind of junk.

jclausius likes this.