Windows 10 News and Announcements...

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by jclausius, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    More like this?:rolleyes:

macOS Catalina 'BAD MAGIC! iBoot panic header 'bug
    Published on January 21, 2020 by Günter Born
    [​IMG][ Deutsch ] Apple users are currently suffering from a bug in macOS Catalina that occurs during a new installation. Those affected end up in a hanging boot process because macOS Catalina is not found. The entry “BAD MAGIC! (flag set in iBoot panic header), no macOS panic log available ”, ie no macOS is found.

jclausius, Raiderman and Mr. Fox like this.
  2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I'm not up to speed on this enough to say one way or the other, but it seems the T2 subsystem is trying to rewrite the boot command and is leaving off an extension or setting it wrong, or perhaps not decrypting binaries correctly - or not doing it at all.

BAD MAGIC usually refers to the /etc/magic entries being referred to and being not found in the context of the request.

For example, the first time I helped a researcher port their fortran source to UNIX (BSD) (fortran that was originally from an undeclared system OS), the poor guy was already nervous about the whole idea of UNIX - he had heard of the obscure error messages and difficulties in debugging development.

I had been working for a long time to get him comfortable enough using UNIX - I held classes for him, other scientists, and staff - and he had to request time to do the "port".

We had just transferred the source code (I even had to install IP/TCP in their system(s)) to be able to transfer the source code - tape formats were incompatible - and after all this build up, he started the compile for his code now on UNIX in his account.

He hit return on the command line, and UNIX returned...:

BAD MAGIC NUMBER

Of course he was shocked, and that completely validated his fear of UNIX all in an instant.

He laughed for a long time, and said "he needed that". It broke his tension.

He had forgotten to rename his source files from .f to .for (this was 1980/81 well before f90), and the system was complaining it couldn't find that extension as a valid "magic number". "Unknown File Type" might have been a more user friendly error...

Linux Magic Numbers
    https://www.garykessler.net/library/magic.html

magic - Format of the /etc/magic file
    https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSLTBW_2.1.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r1.bpxa500/mgc.htm

Fortran Wiki - File extensions
    A more modern treatment of fortran source extensions
    http://fortranwiki.org/fortran/show/File+extensions

IDK if there is some kind of similar simple answer to the MacOS boot issues, but I wouldn't be surprised to find a simple naming error - or it could be a more serious corrupted binary stream edited by the T2 chip, maybe it passed an encrypted stream to the OS - like it should have instead passed the unencrypted stream after being decoded by the T2 subsystem.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    jclausius, Raiderman, joluke and 2 others like this.
  3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Becoming more like Apple is, in large part, what helped make Windows 10 such an absolute suck fest. The harder they try to be similar to Apple, the worse they get. They should try harder to be NOT LIKE Apple and maybe aspire to be as great as they used to be when being NOT LIKE Apple was a business model. That was before Windows 8.X was vomited onto the world. Many people that love PCs hate Apple, so that would be doing the exact opposite of what made them great to start with. Bill Gates pursuing other interests and leaving Micro$lop in the hands of incompetent people resulted in the decline of all things Microsoft.

Unfortunately, this happens with many companies. When the people that make a business great go do something else things begin to unravel. Successors don't have as much skin in the game as the founders do.

Apple's quality, innovation and reputation have declined significantly since Steve Jobs passed away and the baton was passed to idiots.

Or, maybe the real reason for the decline of Microsoft and Apple is the abject stupidity of the masses and how low the bar has been set by modern consumers. At this point it is simply obvious: Old tech dudes rock.
    Two thoughts...
    1. They have already demonstrated malicious intentions and a tendency to commit digital genocide. On this basis, it comes as no surprise and one cannot deny the possibility that malice toward those that refuse to embrace Windoze OS X precipitated these bugs. They may be intentional but done in such a way they can get away with pretending they were accidental.
    2. Because they cannot even get things right with their latest abortion OS, we should not have a surprised look on our faces that they botched up Windows 7's last updates. This demonstrates their incompetence is universal and agnostic.
    Neither possibility reflects positively on them.

I stopped allowing the automatic push of updates before Windows 8.X was released. The notion of "security" isn't even remotely as valuable as a computer that actually works correctly. Botched updates are more frequent than they ever have been, but they're by no means a new and unusual phenomenon. When the world's PCs are indiscriminately updated by zombies that take a Procrustean approach to everything they do, the world will have zombie PCs.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    0lok, jclausius, Raiderman and 2 others like this.
  4. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    Windows Insider Preview Build 19546 has a nice addition to the calculator:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Definitely could have used it when I was in uni.

5. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    If you need something like that, it's certainly a blessing to have it. I just wish they would burn more calories on making the OS a better product, with added-value features that are more relevant to almost everyone.

Raiderman, jclausius, Papusan and 2 others like this.
  6. joluke

joluke Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    " Finally I can put my math knowledge to use with windows! This is going to be for great usage" <- said no one ever

Wasting time on features no one will use..

Nice!

7. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    If you don't need it, doesn't mean no one else does.
    I personally used Wolfram Alpha and Microsoft Mathematics a lot back in the day, but if this feature was there I would have definitely used it. And most likely a lot of other people who had to study math as part of their curriculum, which isn't a small number.

I will agree with Mr. Fox that Windows 10 clearly has a lot of other problems, but it doesn't mean that MS can't add other "less mass market" orientated features. It's not like there's only one person at MS who works on Windows 10...

hmscott, Papusan, Mr. Fox and 2 others like this.
  8. joluke

joluke Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I was being ironic..

I know there are people who use it..

Spartan, killkenny1 and Papusan like this.
  9. pete962

pete962 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Great idea, let's have MS Windows be more like Apple and for starters have Windows 10 work only on MS Surface or other MS genuine hardware like Xbox, why bother to make Windows work on all the other computer models? So much simpler and easier to write drivers and other code. And since I seem to be on a roll, I just got another, even better idea: Instead of waiting for MS to turn into another Apple like company, IF I want my computer to work like MAC, maybe I should buy MAC instead of PC, just saying.
    As far as calculator having now graph function: no big deal, but frankly what took them so long? graphing calculators have been around for ages, now just watch my words MS going to create Power Toys for Windows, blast from the past.

Raiderman and hmscott like this.
  10. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    [​IMG]
    Microsoft's IE Zero-day Fix is Breaking Windows Printing bleepingcomputer.com | January 26, 2020
    Microsoft's temporary fix for a recently disclosed Internet Explorer zero-day vulnerability is causing numerous problems in Windows, including breaking printing for some users...

Second one for the day...
    Windows 10: Installation problems with update KB4528760 due to missing Connect app borncity.com | Jan 26, 2020
    [​IMG]
    [ English ] The cumulative update KB4528760 for Windows 10 version 190x causes installation problems for some users. It is believed that uninstalling the Connect app included with Windows 10 could be the cause.

jclausius and hmscott like this.