Windows 10 News and Announcements...

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by jclausius, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Why don't you use my ISO which has no Cortana to start with and none of the other Windows bloat like no Defender, no System Restore (which never works when you need it), no error reporting, nothing except telemetry is there to keep the Windows Store app working for those who need it.

Download Ultra Male Windows 10 1903 De-Bloated ISO

Here is the full update list and installation order for new installs:

1) SSU (Servicing Stack Update) KB4515530 = http://download.windowsupdate.com/c..._572b7f6f7d1a35235af602b277ed367b3aa34747.msu

2) CU (Cumulative Update) KB4512941 = http://download.windowsupdate.com/d..._64df2a98aeeaa474a08df917a95ad65e0ace2bf0.msu

3) .NET Framework Cumulative Update KB 4511555 = http://download.windowsupdate.com/c..._3bc6de4acbedeaf691af9017b405682423fcf726.msu

4) Adobe Flash Player Update KB4503308 = http://download.windowsupdate.com/c..._b6478017674279c8ba4f06e60fc3bab04ed7ae02.msu

5) Microcode Update KB4497165 = http://download.windowsupdate.com/c..._e92ee95ee2475f99cf927e20f20c8c0cb746e897.msu

jclausius, joluke and hmscott like this.
  2. pete962

pete962 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    One of my computers is dual boot, I booted into win7 went to Win10/windows/systemapps folder, deleted cortana folder, rebooted into win10 and no more cortana and no problems so far. Start search doesn't work at all, but wasn't working anyway due to bing, so all is good. Thanks Ultra Male, I'll try your ISO next big update, but now that I know how to fix it, less trouble than updating whole system, especially that last 3 major updates they all failed, I had to do restore, disable internet and start over. Takes almost whole day. Now where is my Linux stick to fix second computer. BTW Now I remember why I set up dual boot on most of my computers.

jclausius and hmscott like this.
  3. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Windows 10 V1903: Search and Cortana bug in update KB4512941 confirmed (5.9.2019)
    Published on 5 September 2019 by Günter Born
    [​IMG]
    Microsoft caused the error in update KB4512941, which damaged the desktop search and a high CPU load by the voice assistant Cortana few days ago, officially confirmed for Windows 10 version 1,903th

Confirmation by Microsoft, what can you do?
    As of September 5, 2019, Microsoft has now added the following text to the support article for KB4512941 (thanks to the German and English blog readers for the note).

CPU usage from SearchUI.exe may result in a small number of users receiving Windows Desktop Search and may see high CPU usage . This issue only appears on the Web using Windows Desktop Search.​

Microsoft expects a small number of people affected and hopes to release a fix by mid-September 2019. If you are affected by this error, you should simply uninstall the update via the Settings app (Update History) or Control Panel.

Robbo99999, jclausius and hmscott like this.
  4. 6730b

6730b Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    toughasnails, Papusan and hmscott like this.
  5. jclausius

jclausius Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    6730b, Papusan and hmscott like this.
  6. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Microsoft says the two “Exploited” security holes in the September patches aren’t actually exploited
    Posted on September 12th, 2019 at 13:49 woody Comment on the AskWoody Lounge
    I took a lot of flak over this on Twitter.

In this month’s Patch Tuesday crop were five potentially dangerous security holes — two listed as “Exploited” (meaning Microsoft has seen working exploits using the holes) and three listed as “Publicly disclosed” (meaning someone has posted something about the hole).

As I said at the time, none of these are a big deal. The publicly disclosed security holes are deemed “Less likely” to be exploited. The exploited security holes were a big mystery — I couldn’t find any substantive information about them. That’s not particularly alarming because Microsoft frequently fixes security holes that are being used in very specific targeted attacks, and won’t see light of day for months or years, if ever.

Now I know why I couldn’t find anything other than a rehash of Microsoft’s explanation. Without any notification, Microsoft has changed the entries for both CVE-2019-1214 and CVE-2019-1215 so they’re no longer listed as “Exploited.”

At the same time we have a verified, acknowledged Search bug in the Win10 1903 patch, and there are several additional problems that haven’t yet reached critical mass.

There’s a reason why I recommend that you hold off on updates.

It’s not an isolated incident. This kind of thing happens every month.

Yeees, Right in time due all flaws/Bugs. Maybe this is a hidden message from Microsoft? They in short say this.. Hold off on the updates/No need to update at the moment due we have screwed up the whole OS with a lots of bugs:vbbiggrin: All of you should follow the good advice in Blue text!

7. pete962

Reputations:
    Personally I don't think search bug, which I have on both Win 10 laptops is a bug at all and you may disagree with me, but I think it's a sabotage done on purpose. The fact that enabling Bing in search fixes the search problem and that it was reported to MS before broken KB was released and yet not listed in the errata until later makes me believe it's not coincidence. Ether that or complete incompetence on MS part, probably both.

Papusan, joluke and hmscott like this.
  8. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    All the MS developers are probably locked into using Bing and all MS oriented services, so they all thought every thing was working fine - and the one person MS has testing compatibility with Google was out on vacation this time around. :)

Papusan and joluke like this.
  9. joluke

joluke Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Both for sure

Papusan and hmscott like this.
  10. pete962

Reputations:
    Seems like there is another bug in start search acknowledged by MS, this one is reported after the update, which was supposed to fix the previous bugs, but sounds similar to original bug caused by disabling Bing. So if I have it right, originally Cortana/search was running CPU at 25-50% even on idle computer and if you disabled Bing start/search didn't work at all. I had both bugs on both of my Win10 laptops. MS admitted to bugs, issued patch on 9/10 and fixed Cortana high CPU usage, but it seems broke search function again. Seems like Comedy Central show, pass the popcorn please.
    forgot to post link to fix the search error: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4520146/fix-problems-in-windows-search

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019 at 11:33 AM