Windows 10 News and Announcements...

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by jclausius, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Microsoft Contractors Have Listened to Xbox Recordings For Years Tomshardware.com | August 21, 2019

Microsoft contractors have been recording and listening to pieces of audio from Xbox users as far back as 2014, according to Vice News. The audio was recorded as part of an effort by Microsoft to improve the voice command features on the Xbox. Contractors began to record and listen to users during the launch of the Microsoft Kinect system in 2014 and continued through the company’s switch to the Cortana virtual assistant, which was released in 2016.

Microsoft joins a list of tech companies including Apple, Amazon and Facebook who have recently faced criticism for their use of human contractors in an effort to improve virtual assistants. Microsoft recently updated their privacy policy to explicitly indicate that humans might listen to recordings, while Facebook pledged to stop using contractors all together.

6730b, Vasudev and hmscott like this.
  2. Papusan

Reputations:
    Yeah, nothing new from the Redmond HQ. Same old... Maybe they need adding more Telemetry?:rolleyes:

Microsoft Blocks Windows 10 1903 Update on Zebra Rugged Tablets bleepingcomputers.com | August 24, 2019

Microsoft introduced a new compatibility hold to block users of Zebra XSLATE B10 rugged tablets from installing or updating to Windows 10, version 1903 or Windows 10, version 1809.

Redmond was prompted to add this new Windows 10 update block by multiple reports received from XSLATE B10 tablet users stating that the "touch may stop working on the devices after restarting the device."

Vasudev likes this.
  3. Rodster

Rodster Merica

Reputations:
    The words, Windows and quality are an oxymoron.

Primes, joluke, Papusan and 1 other person like this.
  4. 6730b

6730b Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  5. Papusan

Reputations:
    I love it:D

More Windows 10 Privacy Concerns: Irish & Dutch Regulators Begin a New Investigation That Could Lead to Over $4 Billion in Penalties
    https://wccftech.com/microsoft-billion-fine-windows-10-privacy-investigation/

The Irish DPC will now investigate the matter and, if found guilty, the company could face a fine of over $4 billion since GDPR allows penalties of up to 4% of a company’s annual global turnover.

In response, Microsoft has said that it has introduced new privacy controls to Windows 10. While that is true, many of Windows 10 users are still wary of the company’s data collection practices. The privacy activists believe that the company doesn’t receive consent in the right way and encourages users to give it consent. As TechCrunch noted the Windows maker uses Cortana to push users into giving consent, including prompts that say “if you don’t agree, y’know, no Windows!”

$4 billion is too low. Make it double or tripple. U.S citizens (or better say every countries citizens) should thanks EU Regulators - GDPR for putting privacy on the agenda.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    joluke, 6730b, Vasudev and 2 others like this.
  6. jclausius

jclausius Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    "Microsoft investigating bug causing high CPU usage with Windows 10 update KB4512941"

- The bug is causing CPU usage to spike for some users, and it's related to SearchUI.exe.

- There's no official fix as of yet, but Microsoft says it will "provide an update in an upcoming release.

https://www.windowscentral.com/micr...ng-high-cpu-usage-windows-10-update-kb4512941

No wonder benching scores are garbage on Win 10.

Vasudev, joluke, hmscott and 2 others like this.
  7. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Thanks, I'll leave it alone!

jclausius likes this.
  8. pete962

pete962 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes, I have that bug on both of my win 10 laptops, both run CPU at max GHz complements of Cortana and MS also completely broke search function in start menu, apparently it's a punishment for not enabling bing search (WTF do I need bing search if I'm looking for file on my computer? If I need web search, I'll search using web browser) and yes search works fine if I enable bing. I don't know, woman sued McDonald for burning herself while driving the car and drinking hot cofee, why those MS idiots are not sued ? BTW MS was well aware of those issues in beta testing, since it was reported to them before KB was publicly released. Anyone has instructions how to remove that Cortana garbage and yes it supposed to be disabled by OOSU ?

jclausius, joluke and hmscott like this.
  9. Papusan

Reputations:
    There are several ways to Paradice. O&O Shutup10, WPD etc. As well https://www.howtogeek.com/265027/how-to-disable-cortana-in-windows-10/
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...stallation-guide.781178/page-81#post-10947503

10. pete962

pete962 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    As I already stated O&O shutup 10 is already set to disable Cortana, so is WPD, doesn't work. I'm thinking along the lines of booting Linux from memory stick and delete Cortana directory all together, I just need to know how it's started and delete all startup entries, so it doesn't halt boot up or downloads new copy before screen comes up.

hmscott likes this.