Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2019

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, Jun 7, 2020.

1. Casowen

Casowen Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Has anyone here done anything to show that there is an advantage to these higher tier versions of windows over standard editions? I would be curious what benefit windows enterprise or workstation has to a more casual power user such as myself. Stability maybe?

Mr. Fox likes this.
  2. TheQuentincc

TheQuentincc Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    There is no "microsoft garbarge" in enterprise/LTSC version like every consumer version got

Ashtrix, jc_denton, Mr. Fox and 2 others like this.
  3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    This (below)
    Well said, Brother @TheQuentincc

4. jc_denton

jc_denton BGA? What a shame.

Reputations:
    Amen to that.

5. slayer2333

slayer2333 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey guys, thanks to you i also made the jump to Windows 10 LTSC and i am quite satisfied without the M$ crap apps. I purchased an LTSC key from ebay (did the same for M$ Office 2019) and all good so far. Now i tried to do a fresh install of Windows 10 LTSC and i am getting an error message during Windows activation (the key is already used, same for Office).
    I read somewhere that i have to 'un-license' the prior install first using the commands slmgr /upk and slmgr /cpky then i can re-enter the key in a fresh install. Can anyone please confirm if this is the correct procedure? (i just don't want to go through another fresh install and end up with the same error again).
    As for Office, is there a way to 'un-license' so that i can use the key on the fresh install?
    Thank you in advance folks.

jclausius and Mr. Fox like this.
  6. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    You need to do a phone activation.

For Windows, type slui4 in the run dialogue box and hit enter

For Office, I also got a Professional Plus 2019 key but I haven't tried it yet as I am waiting for my new laptop, see if there is anything like troubleshoot activation where you can select phone activation.

7. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Congrats and welcome to the LTSC elitist family. This is the only edition of Windows 10 that is worth a damn, and you're super-smart for recognizing that.

Yes, that is correct. Phone activation is the way to go. Before installing Office, back up the Windows activation with Micro$oft Toolkit. As long as you avoid updating the BIOS (which is the smart thing to do) you should be able to restore it if you ever clean install again. You can still do phone activation again later, but it's easier to not have to deal with any of that nonsense. If you install Office it will back up that activation as well, but the chance is good that the Windows activation restore will fail, so just don't do it. Back it up first, then install Office.

For Office activation, I like to do it this way. Run this command: setup.exe /configure config.xml using this file in the same folder as the 64-bit Office setup.exe
    Code:
    <Configuration>
    <Add OfficeClientEdition="64" Channel="Targeted">
        <Product ID="Proplus2019Retail" PIDKEY="XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX">
          <Language ID="en-US" />
          <ExcludeApp ID="Groove" />
          <ExcludeApp ID="Lync" />
          <ExcludeApp ID="OneNote" />
          <ExcludeApp ID="OneDrive" />
        </Product>
        <Product ID="ProofingTools">
          <Language ID="en-US" />
        </Product>
    </Add>
    <Display Level="Full" AcceptEULA="TRUE" />
    <Updates Enabled="TRUE" Channel="Targeted" />
    </Configuration>

Save as config.xml and replace the X's with your product key. This will omit the totally worthless feces (Groove, Lync/Skype, OneNote, and OneDrive) and install only the meaningful applications in the Office Suite (Word, Excel, Access, Outlook, PowerPoint, Publisher, etc.).

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
    0lok, Ashtrix, jclausius and 5 others like this.
  8. slayer2333

slayer2333 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Pretty neat stuff there, thanks @Spartan@HIDevolution and @Mr. Fox . I can confirm that the phone method works for windows activation (still i tried to unregister the previous Windows install but still got the error with key already used, phone activation solved that).

9. metacarpus

metacarpus Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    But also no feature updates until the next LTSC release, which is years away. I *need* individual DPI app scaling for apps that don't play nicely with 4k screens. And sadly that feature is not in the LTSC release yet as far as I know. Same with HAGS/WDDM 2.7 for GPUs. While not beneficial yet, Ampere may change that and it's only available on the latest consumer version update.

jclausius likes this.
  10. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    Yeah, it's a Choice between the Plague and Cholera. None of them is tempting.
    [​IMG]

Ashtrix, 0lok, Mr. Fox and 1 other person like this.