Windows 10 Drivers [M18xR2]

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Homer S, Oct 13, 2019.

1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    You'll know that it is not working when the laptop runs extremely hot, even after more than enough heat and time have been present to melt the pad. When you eventually give up, more likely than not you will find the pad was never fully melted. But, definitely give it a try since you already have it. You might get lucky and find it works great.

I have not had good overall success using metal pads on laptops when they have to melt or burn in. Indigo Extreme is another example of a good product conceptually, but only works great when everything is near perfect. Indigo Extreme actually worked amazingly well on my desktop with an 8700K... as good as liquid metal. It did not work worth a darn on Clevo laptops with the same CPU. I tried about 4 times and it never turned out right. The Indigo would never fully melt and spread out as intended. The heat sink fit and pressure was too poor for use on a laptop. It only worked on my desktop because the water block contact was flawless and I could use much higher pressure.

https://www.performance-pcs.com/search/indigo

The only downside I encountered with the Indigo Extreme was when it came time to remove the metal pad, most of it came off in a nice sheet. There were some little bits of the melted metal pad left on the water block and CPU IHS that were a real nightmare to remove. Those bits were like they were welded on and I had to use a razor blade and wet sanding to remove them. Fortunately, most of the sheet peeled off in one piece or it would have been a whole lot worse, But, it was far more difficult to remove those little pieces that were stuck than anything I had experienced with remnants of liquid metal. So, while it delivered impressive results I have never used it again for that reason. Ain't nobody got time for that, LOL. I might have been able to apply some liquid metal and let it soak in and dissolve those fragments that were stuck, but I never thought to try that at the time.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
    Papusan and MagicMike like this.
  2. MagicMike

MagicMike Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for that Mr Fox, very useful feedback!

Mr. Fox likes this.
  3. Homer S

Homer S Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I did the Intel update as part of trying to get 3dMark to run, no luck there. I'm firing the 1070 in today since I found an X-bracket in an old drawer. Wish me luck! I'll do a full how to post as I took pictures along the way. Even with the rectangular card, I had to do some minor dremel work to clear on or two of the capacitors (?).

Homer

Mr. Fox likes this.
  4. MagicMike

Reputations:
    Yes the heatsink would still need some dremelling to even out the "bump" on the aluminum part of it.

5. Homer S

Reputations:
    Alright it's in but I'm not super happy, yet. I got the wrong heat sink. I suspect it is for a different laptop. The palm rest frame bulges up right where the heat pipes are. Also, the heat pipe closest to the back should end a few mm short of the other. It doesn't so the keyboard frame also sits up. I'll have to reorder the heat sink and dremel all over again. A few pics.

GPU-Z HD4000.gif GPU-Z GTX 1070.gif

I'll try again to get 3dMark running.

One other item. The fan is running full bore. How do I set it to follow the temp/GPU load?

Homer

6. MagicMike

Reputations:
    Well done!

I can't remember exactly now, but I think I read somewhere that no matter which heatsink you get you will have to live with the bulge on the keyboard around the ASD keys. I have tried both Nvidia and AMD heatsinks (both dremelled to fit where the VRMs are) but both make the keyboard stick out.

If it is possible to make it sit flush then I am all ears!

PS. What is your 3d Mark Time Spy score please?:)

7. Homer S

Reputations:
    The bulge is more at the top under the caps lock lights. It is an NV heat sink but I suspect it is from another AW, maybe the 18 rather than the M18x. The fins were straight across, higher than the heat pipes. The ones on my 980m were sloped slightly downward, starting just below the heat pipe. Looking again, I think the heat pipes sit lower, almost below the surface of the heat sink. I'll do more digging on the right part number and scour eBay again. Here is a first pass at Time Spy. I feel this sucks.

Time Spy Initial.png

Homer

8. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    It's not performing properly. There's no way my MacBook Pro's AMD Radeon Pro 5500M is faster than a 1070.

https://www.3dmark.com/spy/9364919

Try firestrike?

9. MagicMike

Reputations:
    It's throttling. Mine hits 5.1k in Time Spy when it's not throttling and hits 2.6k when it is. Fire strike will not be as fast as it could be either.

I presume you have modded the drivers?

10. Homer S

Reputations:
    I used the ones linked here. Fire Strike was like 8192. Again, seems rather low. Is it possible that 3dMark is only running the internal graphics rather than the 1070?

Homer