Windows 10 Drivers [M18xR2]

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Homer S, Oct 13, 2019.

1. Homer S

Homer S Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ordered this one today so I hope that is the right one. Should be here by Monday of Thanksgiving.

Anyone have tips on getting 3dMark to run? I have it installed and both Firestrike and Timespy generate "valid" results of 0. I'd like to do a before, total stock, and an after. I'm thinking I can do some modest overclocking as I'm taking ~150W out of the equation by going to a single GPU.

Homer

2. Maxware79

Maxware79 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Good luck with the upgrade! I really want to do the same. I was going to upgrade my Ranger but I've decided to sell it and get the M18x back running again. The 1070 is about $850AUD though so it's hard to let go of all that cash on a GPU.
    I am looking forward to seeing how you go.

3. Maxware79

Reputations:
    Any news on this upgrade? Did you get your card?

4. Homer S

Reputations:
    Card is here! Crazy fast from Hong Kong. It was picked up in Hong Kong on Monday and on my porch Wednesday AM (Midwest USA). I'm still trying to get benchmarks before swapping. I will try one last thing: image my Win 10 and restore the Win 7 I did before wiping and starting fresh with Win 10. I'm off on Friday... look for details. I'm capturing a complete how to as I think the only ones I've seen are for MSI cards. This one seems to be Dell, same rectangular shape with no extra bits. I do have to scrape up an X-bracket...

Homer

Maxware79 likes this.
  5. Maxware79

Reputations:
    That is amazingly fast! Thanks, a how-to would be great.
    There is a guy selling two MSI cards here in Australia for $700AUD ($475USD) each. They have the 'extra bit' though and need more modification to the machine which I'm not keen on.
    If I can just sell my 17 then I think I'll pull the trigger on one.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
  6. MagicMike

MagicMike Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The modding of the MSI 1070 isn't really difficult if you follow the correct steps but I have heard they are the full fat version, and the black board rectangular 1070 aren't...unless that's not the case?

7. Homer S

Reputations:
    Uh... "full fat version"?

Homer

8. MagicMike

MagicMike Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Full fat meaning best quality components and I cant find the topic now but I think I read somewhere that either the clocks or performance (or both) are circa 10% slower.

Will refer you to the elders of this forum for confirmation:)

@Mr. Fox , @DaMafiaGamer , @ssj92 , @TheReciever

My MSI 1070 works a treat in my M18XR2, yes sometimes, e.g. when the battery is removed and replaced (although not always), it will start throttling again, but I have been able to successfully use Mr.Fox's trick of putting it to sleep and then waking it up after a couple of minutes (with a few custom tweaks) and the throttling would then stop.

Not sure if you get throttling from the non MSI cards too so would be great to hear other people's experiences.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  9. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I haven't kept current on this since my focus has been desktops exclusively for about 2 years now, so maybe one of the other guys can confirm for you.

MagicMike likes this.
  10. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    If you buy one of the standard eBay MXM 3.0b 1070 models, it should have no issues. No heatsink modding, it has less TDP (105W I think they told me) so it should not throttle either.

Keep in mind an MSI one has higher TDP and the little tab on the side.

Running latest Intel iGPU drivers from Intel and modding the INF file properly should result in correct performance.

I recommend the following drivers to start:

nVidia:
    Intel: https://downloadmirror.intel.com/28799/a08/win64_15.33.48.5069.exe

Homer S, Maxware79 and Mr. Fox like this.