Windows 10 Drivers [M18xR2]

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Homer S, Oct 13, 2019.

1. M18x-oldie

M18x-oldie Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    What would be the benefit of such a card upgrade at all?

MagicMike likes this.
  2. Homer S

Homer S Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    WiFi 6? and I had to get a new router so I grabbed this one.

Homer

M18x-oldie likes this.
  3. M18x-oldie

Reputations:
    Thanks!
    Obviously nothing for me :D not yet.

4. Homer S

Reputations:
    OK,

Partial progress. I got the adapter card, fitted the AX200 and installed it in the DMC slot. To get it to boot to Windows, I had to disable the BT and Wireless cards, leaving the DMC enabled in BIOS. It booted and something installed. I see a globe in the tray in place of the usual wireless icon. Device Manager shows everything installed. I can't seem to turn the WiFI 2 on. I get a slider to turn it on but it doesn't seem to stick. I wonder if Windows is confused thinking it should be finding a cellular modem.

I left the original WiFi card in it's slot and switched back. I think I'll try again and see if the BT on the card is working. It shows as installed in Windows.

UPDATE: I couldn't get to connect BT either. I'm thinking I have to pull out the old WiFI card and leave all three turned on in the BIOS. I'll wait until Monday when the antennae connectors arrive.

Homer

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  5. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    You will need the antenna to see any networks probably. Also remove the old cards. Make sure to install the latest driver

6. Homer S

Reputations:
    Alrighty!

I got the antennae adapters in and stripped it down to the motherboard, I left the memory and BIOS battery connected. Installed the card with it's adapter in the slot, added the antennae adapters and reassembled. The fit was pretty tight. I had to make sure one lead went left and one went right to make sure everything cleared. Put it all back together. Posted right away and booted into Windows 10. The new card connected to the router and I verified that I could pair with a bluetooth headset. All good. Last check was to put one channel of the new router into ax mode and reconnect. Windows reports it is connected to WiFi 6 (802.11ax). All seems to be working as advertised. I do have one item in the device manager that appears like it is not working, not sure what that is since I can connect to BT and there is only one WiFi/BT card installed now.

Homer

M18x-oldie likes this.
  7. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Could you post a pic of the installed card?

Sounds good, maybe if I ever get an AX router I may upgrade my card as well.

M18x-oldie likes this.
  8. Homer S

Reputations:
    Here you go, some pics.

20191028_160830.jpg
    Before installation (I was a bit aggressive with removing the side parts of the board. Should have supported them to snap more cleanly, like the top one. I replaced the HD board clip at the same time, that is it peeking out)

20191028_163522.jpg
    In the board (I was optimistic that the leads could be on the same side.)

20191028_171650.jpg
    Back together (Note there is one lead to each side now.)

Homer

M18x-oldie likes this.
  9. Homer S

Reputations:
    I'm pulling the trigger on the 1070 MXM for my M18xR2. Looking forward to having some headroom on my single PSU. While I'm waiting on the delivery... some questions.

I'm getting a "new" 100W NVIDIA heat sink for the left side if you were facing the open screen. Is that the correct one? The card is a "Dell" rectangular card, will I need to modify the heat sink or is that only for the MSI or Clevo versions with the extra side bits.

I already have the unlocked BIOS (Raidriar) and I'm on Windows 10. What driver version do I need with the right mix of laptop identifier and 1070?

BTW Once I'm done and stable, I'll have two 980Ms with heat sinks available if there is anyone looking. Just sayin'...

Homer

MagicMike likes this.
  10. M18x-oldie

Reputations:
    Facing the screen, you'd need the right one. That's the position of the primary port.
    Post a pic of the one you're talking about.