Windows 10 Drivers [M18xR2]

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Homer S, Oct 13, 2019.

1. Rengsey R. H. Jr.

Rengsey R. H. Jr. I Never Slept

Reputations:
    You should start a new thread. Name it something like , the road to superior cooling for M18X R2.

2. Rengsey R. H. Jr.

Rengsey R. H. Jr. I Never Slept

Reputations:
    MagicMike and Maxware79 like this.
  3. Chivalrous Roamin Knight

Chivalrous Roamin Knight Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi everyone! I am very new here and I am posting to this thread because it seems like the most recently active thread involving the 1070 gpu upgrade to the Alienware 18; I've seen on some posts in this thread that a 1070 GPU upgrade was successful for the AW18. I have looked at some threads on this upgrade at least 4, maybe 5 times; they can be a bit overwhelming since almost all of them intertwine the Alienware M18x R2 and the Alienware 18 if that at all. After making comments on the Alienware 18 Facebook page, a comment came in from a FB user who upgrades the 1070 in the M18x R3's and he informed me that the upgrade works on the AW18 also, as he referred me to NBR and said that this community has very helpful and knowledgeable members.

Well, I have the Alienware 18 (R3 as it's sometimes associated as) 2015 Extreme Edition: 4940MX processor, 32GB Ram, Nvidia GPU, BIOS version A14 06/25/2018. So, I would please like very much to know of this upgrade for this Alienware 18; I would like to know what actual physical hardware is needed and where to get such hardware and also then, what modifications, hopefully, just software modifications is required. I'm hopeful that a standard MXM form factor 1070 GPU will be the goto GPU, as I've read at least with the MSI 1070 GPU, a physical modification is required at least as I understand with the Alienware M18x R2. Appreciate anyone's insight and experience with this upgrade and as most of these upgrades were quite some time ago, especially with the 1070 GPU, maybe anyone knows of some recent hardware and/or software advancements in this upgrade. Thanks everyone, I appreciate any replies. I love my AW18! Thanks again!!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
  4. Maxware79

Maxware79 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  5. Chivalrous Roamin Knight

Chivalrous Roamin Knight Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
  6. Maxware79

Maxware79 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No problem. There are probably more M18x users that the 18 but we're here to help if you have more questions.

7. KKthebeast

KKthebeast Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Question for you guys, when did the advice switch from running in PEG to SG? (Just brought out the old girl to see if i could get these dang Nvidia drivers past V 419.35 for the kiddo), Running Swick BIOS and Custom one off Prema vBIOS' on the 980 SLI (throttleless), Windows 10 v1909. Haven't used the old M18X R2 as a daily driver in the last few years.

Thanks for the update

8. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I am not 100% certain what you are asking. Some folks found 980M to have fewer throttling problem using SG mode. You cannot use SG mode with dual GPU, only with single GPU. If you select SG mode with both MXM slots filled the system will fail to POST with 8-beeps and it sometimes requires a blind flash to recover.

M18x-oldie likes this.
  9. KKthebeast

KKthebeast Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey Brother Fox, glad you are still around :), Yeah I was pulling out the old girl to get my kiddo setup, was having trouble getting anything newer then 419.x to install (got it fixed with the normal driver mod technique). So, it had been so long since we messed with the old laptop, I forgot what SG stood for (there might have been a few beers involved). PS, I got 5 beeps when turning on SG and artifacts all of the the screen. So i used this opportunity to tear her down, repaste with Conductonaut, thermals are awesome, and even got it stable at a higher frequency. I just pulled the cards, hooked up the power button and display panel with an external keyboard and got back in and un-screwed it :p. Used your old youtube video to get the setting back in the BIOS and good to go.

Mr. Fox likes this.