Windows 10 Driver Guide ~ M18xR2 and Alienware 18

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by ssj92, Oct 2, 2014.

1. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Just finished installing all of the drivers on my M18xR2. Everything is running great! [This guide should work for the M18xR2, M17xR4 and M14xR2]

Here's a simple driver guide to get windows 10 fully working! This guide will probably also work fine with the final version of Windows 10 when it is released in 2015.

All of the drivers can be used from the dell site, except the realtek media card reader, airplane mode switch and the free fall sensor. I've noted how to get these to work below.

Enjoy!

Aienware OSD

Alienware Command Center [NEED .NET FRAMEWORK 3.5 first! Go to control panel, programs>add/remove windows features!]

Audio Driver

Chipset Driver

Intel Management Engine

Intel Dynamic Platform & Thermal Framework [EXTREME CPUs ONLY!]

Dell TouchPad Driver

Intel HD Graphics Driver

nVidia 344.11 Graphics Driver OR AMD Mobility 14.9 Drivers

For the airplane mode switch and the realtek card reader, go to windows update. The drivers will be there.

For the free fall sensor, download the extracted driver HERE then go to device manager and manually install the driver.

That's it, overall 10 is working great. No problems so far but it's only been a few hours. For wi-fi, just use the default windows wi-fi drivers built-in. If wi-fi doesn't work then try the 8.1 driver for your card. Killer cards seem to work out of the box.

maxslo, rsr_am, Glzmo and 5 others like this.
  2. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    So now all I need is Windows 10 :p

3. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    UltraGSM and TBoneSan like this.
  4. TomJGX

TomJGX I HATE BGA!

Reputations:
    Have you tried to game on it? Also is DX12 is there?

5. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    I'm almost certain DX12 wouldn't be on their.

6. sy5tem

sy5tem Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    downloading the preview now going to try it in a vm

7. TomJGX

TomJGX I HATE BGA!

Reputations:
    How do you use it in a VM? I was thinking of dual booting but how would make my games work on it?

8. sy5tem

Reputations:
    vm = virtual machine, you can get oracle virtualbox or vmware workstation... so the install doesn't touch your stuff... but you can't games in a vm....

if you want to game you better dual booting it.

normally i would highly suggest not to try and gaming with a new windows os because of drive maturity ,,,

but my guess is right now that windows 10.. in fact is just windows 8.3 ish lol so it should work just like windows 8! with a start menu lol

9. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    No DX12 yet. DX12 will be available in the final version or consumer preview. DX12 requires nVidia and AMD to update their drivers.

Steam and Origin work fine. I played a game and it ran fine. So far it seems stable.

UEFI/Fast Boot allows this OS to boot within 3-5 seconds total, from the Alienware logo all the way to the desktop.

I've already left tons of feedback using the windows feedback app. I suggest anyone else using the preview to do the same. Hopefully Microsoft listens to its customers this time.

I will be installing the rest of my applications tomorrow and see if everything else works. So far it looks to be compatible with most 8.1 compatible applications.

Another thing to note. Microsoft will continue to provide updated builds with fixes/features through windows update. This is a similar process to the mac os x yosemite public beta.

10. sy5tem

Reputations:
    i am wondering about the USB3 drivers .... my alienware 18 .. usb3 work really badly on windows 8 , so much i had to go back to windows 7,

hope intel as usb3 driver for windows 10