Windows 10 Clean Installation Guide

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, Sep 7, 2015.

1. PDUB72

PDUB72 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Well, it was worth a shot. I was hoping resetting BIOS to default might fix it. After this clean install, the first day it stayed at 100% overnight, but this morning it's showing 10% drain. Now I'm starting to miss the 6% drain only twice a week, LOL.

Could there be any possibility a 10% drain is normal after a clean install or something? I'm at my wits end, but was really hoping clean install was the solution. I followed this guide to the letter.

2. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    I dunno about you bro but I never even care to check. I use this laptop connected to AC all the time and don't care even if it drains anything while off. To heck with it. The only time I might need the battery is if I perhaps go to a coffee shop and need to surf the net which is very rare especially with the Corona Virus so IMHO, just stop checking and forget it. Think of a desktop replacement laptop's battery as a back UPS device or something that will allow you to move the laptop from one room to another whilst still having it on. Just my 2 cents. You've burned too many calories on this.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
    Vasudev, Fire Tiger and PDUB72 like this.
  3. PDUB72

PDUB72 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Burned too many calories, indeed. I may take your advice.

Spartan@HIDevolution likes this.
  4. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Try uninstalling Dell UWP drivers/apps one by one to figure out the issue. That battery drain is not normal.

PDUB72 likes this.
  5. PDUB72

PDUB72 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks for the input. I'm willing to try anything. 10% every other day is the latest on my system. Like clockwork.

To your comment, I have a clean install of windows with no Dell or Alienware software installed except for AWCC and necessary drivers that I download and install individually. I purposely didn't install Dell update or Alienware update or SupprtAssist. The only updates I get are forced by Windows Update. Is that what your talking about? If so I'd have to do another fresh install and completely block Windows Update, is that right? Sorry if I'm not clear on your input, but I'm very much interested if there's a remote chance it works. Dell is no longer acknowledging my requests for help.

It's either keep trying or accept 10% drain every other day for the remaining life of this laptop.

6. Spartan@HIDevolution

Reputations:
    I don't disable Windows update. Here is what I do.
    1) From Group Policy Editor, Administrative Templates > Windows Update > Do not include drivers with Windows update. (Enable that rule)
    2) Extract this ZIP and double click on Disable Driver Updates.reg
    3) Extract this ZIP, then double click on Disable automatically installing suggested apps.reg

Now, only the driver related app stores will be installed like nVIDIA Control Panel, Realtek Audio Console, etc. No other garbage

Also, before I connect to the internet, I always make an image using Macrium Reflect so if I had to go back I don't need to spend a day to format and configure all my settings/tweaks

Fire Tiger, PDUB72 and Vasudev like this.
  7. 0lok

0lok Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Out of curiousity Spartan. What Win10 Version do you use? 1809 LTSC?

8. PDUB72

PDUB72 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I always skipped that part of your guide because I only have Home Edition, but I found instructions to "enable" group policy editor on home edition. I haven't done that, yet because I was unsure if it's safe or recommended. If you can verify it's safe to do so, I'll enable group policy editor and do as you instruct and do another clean install as layed out in your guide.

I've been using Macrium, but didn't make a backup before updates, unfortunately. I'll be doing that next time, of course.

Vasudev and Fire Tiger like this.
  9. Spartan@HIDevolution

Reputations:
    I tried that Group Policy Editor on Home once and it didn't work. Not sure if it works now. But if you use that Reg Tweak it should also do the trick. I would also do it from Winaero Tweaker as a double safety measure:

ScreenShot00090.png

Vasudev and PDUB72 like this.
  10. PDUB72

PDUB72 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I ended up downloading the batch file from MajorGeeks. Seems to be good. Just reinstalled and at the point where I'm about to do windows update. Luckily, I have a Macrium Backup before drivers, etc so I can keep playing working with it, if needed.

Strange part is, as soon as I connected to wifi, I suddenly found Intel Graphics Control panel and Realtek Audio Console installed. Also, I found Intel Optane Pinning Explorer Extensions in Control Panel>Programs and Features. Also, I'm guessing AWCC auto installed Alienware Pointing Devices because I haven't done that, yet. I set Windows Update on Pause before I connected, so... weird.