Windows 10 - Bloatware Free Edition

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Phoenix, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    OK, now this is extra stupid. The metered connection crap with Outlook just suddenly and unexpectedly started happening on my third system (16L-G-1080) for no apparent reason. It is not running RS3 (still RS2). I had to use the same tweak to stop it as I did on the fresh installations of RS3 on the other two machines. Nothing I did to change any settings and it has never, ever, done this before. So, something retarded is definitely going on under the hood of the OS.

Vasudev likes this.
  2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Did you enable any tweak to set Ethernet as Metered?

3. XiCynx

XiCynx Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    @Mr. Fox Instead of using Macrium Reflect, what are your thoughts on using Active@ Boot Disk to replicate your current image into an .adi format? Boots off of a flash drive into it's own little OS. I have never used Macrium Reflect so I'm just trying to gain some knowledge here on pros and cons if you have.

http://www.boot-disk.com

4. XiCynx

XiCynx Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Just uploaded the newest revision today. In case you haven't imaged yet or want it for another machine.
    http://www.nomaher.com/forum/index.php?topic=3350.msg28296#msg28296

steberg likes this.
  5. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I am not sure. I use Macrium Reflect for image/backup because it is the most reliable (and fastest) product I have found. It boots WindowsPE and also allows you to create a residence recovery system without having to use an external flash drive (either way works well). I have had imaging corruption and failures with Acronis, Easus, Clonezilla and others I have tried. But, I am not familiar with that one. It may be OK. If it is not OK and you run into problems, the free version of Macrium Reflect is all 99% of us need. The extra features in the paid version are worthless and unnecessary for most of us.

hmscott likes this.
  6. Lynx2017

Lynx2017 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

Thanks downloading now. I don't know how to install Win 7 on a NVMe drive, so I will be saving this for when I get back home and regular SSD desktop I plan to use again/sell laptop. downloading now though, cheers

I went back to Windows 8.1 tonight, WSUS offline updates, its just so clean and snappy and even feels cleaner/snappier than RS2 bloatware free edition which surprises me, I have no need for DX12 games, screw it. Using anti spy beacon, and bitdefender firewall on paranoid mode. i am surprised how much crap bitdefender firewall catches even over ZoneAlarm, just random crap... one was M$ office 2013 telemetry... like why does that need to talk to M$? why oh why... i don't have any office install btw, just LibreOffice. lol. I'd be lost without paranoid mode, if nothing else at least it gives me the illusion of being in control.

hmscott likes this.
  7. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    new Windows 10 RS3 feature that @Papusan and @Mr. Fox will surely love......now apps that were open when you restarted will relaunch when you boot up again...... :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

hmscott, Papusan and Vasudev like this.
  8. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Maybe that would get rid off the lag on older devices???
    I think its the enhanced version of Prefetch. Disabling Superfetch service should be the end of that caching mechanism. App hibernation is the exact word.
    Bye Bye RS3.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    hmscott and Papusan like this.
  9. Lunatics

Lunatics Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hm, so I reinstalled Windows using the latest version from the site, everything seemed to have worked properly this time and is missing cortana search etc and everything by default. I am having trouble activating Windows however and it is telling me my product key is not valid for this version of Windows, it is the same key I was using previously on the machine. I try to run slui 4 to open the other activation window and try to do it by phone, but when I enter the command nothing happens/opens. Any idea? I am using Win 10 Pro.

Edit: Well, this was a key I had bought online through Kinguin or something about a year ago for my Razer Blade when I bought it, I contact Microsoft about it not activating and they said it was blocked because it is pirated. Do I spent the full money to support m$ or buy another potentially pirated key, oh decisions decisions.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    Vasudev likes this.
  10. XiCynx

XiCynx Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Shooting you a PM, not sure if what I want to advise you of is allowed on the forums here.

Papusan and Vasudev like this.