Windows 10 and nVidia 980M GTX upgrades for Alienware (M17X-R4, without Optimus: Working Great!)

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by woodzstack, Jun 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ziggydi

Ziggydi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi there

So I have had used DDU again in Safe Mode, then disabled DSE in startup options and after restart installed 385.41 Eurocom drivers. Restart and code 43 again...

2. woodzstack

woodzstack Alezka Computers , Official Clevo reseller.

Reputations:
    yeah for get the EUROCOM drivers, they could be the issue, follow my instructions via PM. I created you your own specific INF etc..

3. Ziggydi

Reputations:
    Whoever is following the thread and for anyone who may consider it as help.

Now finally I have completed the installation of the card. Eventually I had to send back 980M because of code 43 that couldn't be resolved. Thanks to @woodzstack who was trying to help me as much as possible on PM, he even asked me to send him a card to look after and sort out. Unfortunately there was to point to do it as the cost would be very high. So.. I have been refunded for 980M from China and bought 1060M from @woodzstack for very reasonable price. The card came within 5 days from Canada to Ireland. I have put the card in run modded drivers and the card worked nearly perfectly. The only thing was it wasn't switching (Optimus switching problems) so all games were using Intel HD4000. The problem was in drivers or rather modding the drivers. Again @woodzstack have sorted for me and sent me nicely modded inf file. After that is switching great. I've been testing the card for last 4 days and all games running on high or ultra settings with 60fps capped. Firestrike result is around 9400pts.
    Summary that may help anyone who want to upgrade their m17xR4 to 1060M.

My system is running on Win 10 Pro with FullHD 60Hz (non 3D) screen, i7-3630QM, 16GB Ram, 512GB SSD + 2TB HD and now with 1060M 6GB. The nVidia drivers I have downloaded from nVidia website 397.31 (latest for this moment) and run with modded nvcvi.inf by @woodzstack which enables Optimus to switch easily. The Driver must be installed witth DSE disabled and run as Administrator.

I hope this will help someone.

And yet again big thanks to @woodzstack who was a great help and support. Very easy to communicate and helpful.

Attached Files:

woodzstack likes this.
  4. woodzstack

woodzstack Alezka Computers , Official Clevo reseller.

Reputations:
    oh wow thank you for the kind words, it was a pleasure helping you too.
    if you need anything else ever let me know.

5. Johann

Johann Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello I'm new on this place. I come from france. I supposed that this post was the most appropriate for my problem.
    I have a m17xr4 with the 970m and windows 10 64 bits. For now always work find. I found a nvcvi config file for updating. But since few update available on nvidia site i couldn't update my system. Card driver installation failed.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance for yours answer
    Regards
    Johann

6. Ziggydi

Reputations:
    Hi. Try to use the file I have updated for 1060m but change the line with your device (mine was 1C60 05511028) this works with the latest nvidia drivers. This file switches like 650m. Before installing disable DSE and run setup as administrator. During install it should ask you if you're sure to install unknown (not signed) drivers.
    Good luck

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

woodzstack likes this.
  7. Johann

Reputations:
    Hi thanks for your prompt reply

I tried with your file and latest nvidia oem driver 397.64. Always the same
    Installation process failed.

Current graphic card driver 353.54
    Bios a12
    Id card 13d8 0551 1028

8. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    You find bro @j95 modds for Nvidia drivers here (check each nvidia driver posted). This one is the latest.

9. Ziggydi

Reputations:
    I've been doing this with DDU first.

Does it fail when checking the hardware or during the installation (Says driver as Not Installed)?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

10. Johann

Reputations:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.