Windows 10 and nVidia 980M GTX upgrades for Alienware (M17X-R4, without Optimus: Working Great!)

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by woodzstack, Jun 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. woodzstack

woodzstack Alezka Computers , Official Clevo reseller.

Reputations:
    What would you like to know about drop box ? I am not by any means one of thier employee's or anything, lol.
    Or are you asking me to link you a drop box link or how to create an account or are you asking what is drop box ?
    There might be some older links from years ago at the beginning of this thread, I stopped maintaining them shortly after Pascal videocards became a the norm.

2. Ziggydi

Ziggydi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi there

Could you read my thread and advise me please as I'm losing my mind.
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/going-to-upgrade-7970m-to-980m-on-m17x-r4-980m-7970m.814883/

If I use these steps would I successfully install the card?
    I understand that I have to use SG mode.

Now I know now I have to change MBR to GPT... (silly me:()

Is it better to install Win10 from scratch without 980M inside, install all drivers and then after disabling DES put in the card and install video drivers. which driver if my card is
    ID 13D7 05511028 ??? Is this one 385.41 from Eurocom would work ok?
    When I bought it it was supposed to be non gsync I'm not sure it is... I just want to have it running no OC planned..

3. woodzstack

Reputations:
    changing to GPT just causes less headaches in the long run but it shouldn't stop you from using your card.

your just using a 980M , on a AW17 I am guessing, by the hardware ID you gave i.e 055X1028...

do you see your hardware ID in the device manager ? is that where you got it from ?

if so, then you should just disable DSE and run a modified driver as admin and your good to go.

you mean this driver on the FTP ? http://downloads.eurocom.com/suppor...Alienware/M17xR4_05511028_9xxM_385.41_W10.zip

yeah should work fine. You can just drop those INF's into a newer driver and should work too.

4. Ziggydi

Reputations:
    Got it from device manager 980m was 13D7 05511028, and currently my 7970m is 6800 05511028
    It;s definitely m17x R4 :|)

That;s the one I tried, I also tried directly from nvidia 353.62 and aftre modding inf it was recognized but installation failed.
    I tried 391.35 without any modification and driver (actually the whole setup with physics and the rest) have installed but after restart there was code 43 in device manager.
    After installing 358.41 from eurocom it has failed during drivers only installation and then code 43 in device manager.

So my plan now is to do a clean Win10 install on GPT instead MBR (with or without 980M?) And then disable DSE from your tutorial (before I just changed in system properties->hardware->device installation setting to No

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  5. Ziggydi

Reputations:
    Hi

I have installed everything from the scratch. Followed instructions from the first post.
    Set up as SG, boot options as per instructions, bios A11 unlocked.
    Then primarily SSD drive-> removed all partitions and MBR changed to GPT.
    Secondary HDD MBR changed to GPT.
    Then installed Win 10 Pro with 980m installed already because when it was out there was a problem with starting windows in SG mode (black and red stripes on screen).
    All drivers, patches, and AWCC and AWOS apps installed.
    The 980m is recognized as 13D7 05511028 - the same as before.
    980m_1.jpg
    Now then I tried to install 358.41 drivers from Eurocom (http://downloads.eurocom.com/suppor...Alienware/M17xR4_05511028_9xxM_385.41_W10.zip)
    The card was detected but on the installation summary was the driver failed.

I also tried 395135 from nvidia. I didn't modify anything and the installation was smooth. Driver installed successfully. But after restart again Code 43.
    980m_2.jpg

So in summary the effect after all work is the same. 980m not working properly with Code 43.

Where to go from there?

Thanks for help

6. woodzstack

Reputations:
    Are you disabling DSE ? Does a windows pop up asking you to trust this installer/install anyways half way through he install ?

7. Ziggydi

Reputations:
    Now I've tried to install the drivers again. I run DDU in Safe Mode just in case. I'm have disabled DSE just before installation and they failed again, There was no pop up about trusted installer .
    980m_3.jpg

Anything I can do?

Should I try to run PEG mode again? But most likely it will brick it again...

8. woodzstack

Reputations:
    if no pop up about trusted installed comes up then DSE was not disabled.
    It only lasts a single boot, some times same NVidia drivers will let you think the driver is installed properly and then you will get a code 43 will not start, but usually it will just fail to see compatible hardware.

find me on Discord, I will guide you, just PM me once we share the server : https://discord.gg/7RQEHJa

Papusan likes this.
  9. woodzstack

Reputations:
    disable DSE by going through the startup options and selecting the 7th one etc...

Also, meet me on discord and I can guide you with a driver in real time afterwards.

10. Ziggydi

Reputations:
    Sounds great. I'll try this evening. My time zone is UTC 0.

The first time I tried to switch of DSE in startup I couldn't leave recovery mode so had to reinstall Win 10 again....

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.