Windows 10 and nVidia 980M GTX upgrades for Alienware (M17X-R4, without Optimus: Working Great!)

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by woodzstack, Jun 10, 2015.

1. Kingofanything

Kingofanything Newbie

Reputations:
    Sadly it still hasnt worked. It is so strange that only the aforementioned driver (347.09) works and not any other.What should we try next? trying an unlocked bios? thanks again.

2. woodzstack

woodzstack Alezka Computers , Official Clevo reseller.

Reputations:
    if 347.09 works, use it.

However, I've only seen this issue when windows was not a fresh install, I had it too, people even have it on desktops. Windows scans the hardware it identifies before the upgrade and makes note of what not to install i.e unsupported hardware ID's it doesn't recognise, and puts them on this almost ignore list (least it acts that way..) then you can never use the hardware, and it always uses what was there when it was being installed from the free upgrade.

You want windows 10 to work, use a windows 10 product key (or email address) and install it fresh. I have the feeling you did not do that.
    You also might just be able to copy the nv_dispi.inf from the display.driver folder in the 347.09 driver and replace the one in a newer driver, or at least CTRL+F to use "FIND" and see the lines that represent your hardware ID's in this case look for 13D8 and spot the line that also has 05511028, then modify the newer drivers to have the same lines in the same area of the same file, etc..

then make sure you DISABLE DSE everytime you install a driver. Some people try it once and think its a permanent feature or something. The driver will pretend to install, you will notice it doesn't give you the prompt saying "install anyways" thats when you know DSE was not disabled. Windows has a tendency to triple confirm you wish to do something ... like an insubordinate lackey questioning every decision...

Mr. Fox likes this.
  3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Brothers @woodzstack and @j95 - try this. It works and I just recently discovered the command.

Open an elevated command prompt and run the syntax below. Reboot, and it should be disabled for good.
    Code:
    bcdedit.exe /set nointegritychecks on
    I am now able to install modded drivers without having to boot with DSE temporarily disabled. Works on the Sky X9 and Panther with W10 TH2. I've done it probably a dozen time in the past two weeks.

hmscott, Solo wing and woodzstack like this.
  4. woodzstack

Reputations:
    Oh **** ! Well that sure goes on the first page, awesome tip !

Mr. Fox likes this.
  5. thegh0sts

thegh0sts Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    so it just disables DSE for good?

Mr. Fox likes this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Yessiree... deader than a door nail. Really sweet tweak. You can installed modded GPU drivers all you want without the silly nonsense.

hmscott and Solo wing like this.
  7. thegh0sts

Reputations:
    consider it done!

Mr. Fox likes this.
  8. woodzstack

Reputations:
    Right ?! I was more then happy to find this out.

thegh0sts likes this.
  9. Kingofanything

Kingofanything Newbie

Reputations:
    I have just completed a fresh install of windows 10 and unfortunately the same problem is still happening. I guess I will just have to stick to driver 347.09 then. thanks for all the help and advice though.

Update. Success! Driver M17xR4_05511028_9xxM_358.50 has installed. Im not sure why but it did. What i did was installed over driver 347.09 without removing it first with DDU and it just worked.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2016
  10. thegh0sts

Reputations:
    hmmm....fluke!

install after a DDU wipe and then you're getting somewhere.