Windows 10 and Cloning

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by MobileArtist, Jan 2, 2021.

1. MobileArtist

MobileArtist Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I don't take any performance hit because I'm not doing incremental backups. What I am going to do is attach my external drive every week or two weeks or so, and do a manual, on demand differential backup… Then disconnect.

It's my impression that the restore to any device will not work unless I have the paid version, but the backups I'm making now (from my understanding) will work once I pay for the full version. Am I mistaken in this, as I call asking the gentleman at Macrium.

2. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Best worth clarifying with Macrium, I think the backups will work, but you may need a recovery media created with the paid version. So if it's a non-recovery scenario, you are fine. You buy a new machine, install Home version, create recovery media, boot the new device from the recovery media and restore. if the old device fails though, you will have to jump through an extra hoop: install macrium Home on a throwaway OS on the new device, create recovery media, unregister this installation of Macrium so you dont lose the licence (if it's bound to the OS not hardware), then boot from the recovery media and restore to the new device.