Windows 10 20H2

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, Sep 9, 2019.

1. jotm

jotm Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Using the "latest and greatest" rarely works well, especially in software.

Microsoft seems to be using people as free beta testers with Windows 10, I swear I've not had this many problems since Windows 98.

Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  2. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Just the opposite here. Windows 10 has been perfectly reliable for me. The issues I had were hardware related. Meaning, my SSHD craped out on me. So I had to re install. I have been on the latest version of 10 since it's been released. It's been perfect. Once people start messing with it using shut up this or that, trying to "make it faster", which never works, and tweaking crap for silly reasons, is when issues start. Load it and use it.

jotm likes this.
  3. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    May want to re-check if W10 issued TRIM on a SSHD and may have killed earlier than expected? 20h1/2 had this issue.

4. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    It died long before 20h1/2 was release...like over two years ago. As I said, there are like 3-4 people here who have "issues" with windows. they are hacking it, "tweaking it", and gereally ruining it because they think its spying on them 24/7. so, lets say 6 people here, out of how many windows users here....It's not windows that is the problem.

5. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Problem with the reading? http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/windows-10-20h2.830339/page-48#post-11060516

In May 2020, Microsoft released Windows 10 2004, the May 2020 Update, and introduced two bugs causing SSD drives to be defragged too often and for the TRIM operation to be attempted on non-SSD drives.

Normimb likes this.
  6. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Nope. Not at all. Do you? read what I said again....sorry HATER!

Vasudev likes this.
  7. 0lok

0lok Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @kojack and @Papusan its good to keep people aware of your experience or sharing information like the positive and negative so keep us all updated to your findings. As for me, Im still on redstone 5 as I had bad experience before when updating to the latest and greatest. ^_^
    Surprisingly I'm on Redstone 5 Home Edition and was able to update the LTSC version.. Saved me loads of time switching to LTSC doing a clean install..

Normimb, Vasudev and Mr. Fox like this.
  8. jotm

jotm Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah, some of the problems I've encountered could be platform specific. But I'm always using older laptops, I'd expect W10 to have ironed out any issues.

The fact that Linux, which takes days for a proper configuration and can crap out because the bootloader didn't like something, is more stable than W10, just tells me that MS stopped caring about reliability and are now focused on "features"...

I don't even need any features from the host OS, it's there to run the hardware and let me run all the software that I actually use. I don't use any third party tweaking tools, they always tend to break something.

So far, I've had restarts for updates even though I explicitly set the update hours, blue screens that the recovery tools couldn't fix (full reinstall), partitions simply gone poof (easily recovered with testdisk), strange performance issues like Explorer taking up to several seconds to open, Search simply stopping working (not to mention Taskbar search is still dumber than W7), media sharing randomly stops working, and the coup the grace, laptop hibernating because of "CPU overheating" (it isn't). It happens randomly in the middle of work and drives me nuts.

This would be a golden opportunity for Linux... if it was a centrally managed OS without weird FOSS quirks like WINE developers being forbidden from reading/using Windows source code/files - wow, no wonder it's always behind.

0lok likes this.
  9. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I guess I am just "lucky". I have 2 acers, one s3 with an i5, 500 gb ssd and 4 gb of ram that my son uses. It's been on W10 since W10 came out and he has never had an issue. I have a 2007 7720 with 4gb ram a 120gb ssd and 750gb HDD and it's been running windows 10 since it's been released going through every update cycle without issue. My dell 13 5000 2 in 1 only had an issue because the SSHD crapped out, nothing to do with windows and has been on 10 since purchase and gone through every update cycle without issue. My wife's 11 3000 2 in1, which I am typing on now has been on windows 10 since new, with 4gb of ram and a 500gb ssd. It's gone through every update cycle without issue.

I have numerous desktops running in my two workshops behind my house both on w10 and going through every update cycle without issue. Like I said, from my experience windows 10 has been the most stable, easiest to use and visually appealing OS available. I have used Linux which is OK but not made for mainstream use, and I haveowned and used MacOS computers 3 different times (sucker for punishment) and that's just like using a computer from the early 90's. Remember how crappy that was? I do.

Again, most issues from windows 10 are from "experts" trying to tweak it to do things differently. Simple.

jotm likes this.
  10. jotm

jotm Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It's really strange, I had zero issues with Windows 7. Never seen a BSOD, even (except when undervolting, but that's understandable)! With the same software installed (OK, older versions, which might matter)...

Vasudev, Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.