Windows 10 20H2

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, Sep 9, 2019.

1. joluke

joluke Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes. Asphalt is another one for example. Games that depend on windows store, almost all of them need a minimum windows version to run

2. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    hit, nail, head. If you listen to the select few here you would still be using ms dos. The latest w10 update is fast and stable. I have been using it on all my devices day one. I have had zero issues on any. Even my 2007 acer 7720. Fast and smooth.

3. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I just fired up my acer. I am typing this on it now. 20H2, 2007 era notebook, 4gb ddr2 ram, 120gb ssd, 750hdd. This thing still works fine for most things. Try that with even a macbook from 2012. No new OS updates, software starts to be phased out and more. To run Big Sur you need a device from 2013 at least. Six years newer than this noteobok. Windows 10 20H2 runs on this notebook just fine.

GrandesBollas likes this.
  4. GrandesBollas

GrandesBollas Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Even worse - once your Mac is EOL according to Apple, you can’t install newer apps based on newer but incompatible SDKs. My mother’s 2011 iMac has been on high Sierra for a while now. Got a warning message that this would be last year to install Turbo Tax.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

joluke and kojack like this.
  5. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I will never buy another mac computer. Unlike their mobile devices which have great support for OS/software updates, their pcs have terrible support. I am now looking for the new updates for this notebook now. i am going to replace the cpu with a higher model, it has a t5750 and I am going to install the t9500, add four more gigs of ram, a new higher res screen and a faster ssd. pop in a more modern wifi card and be good for another few years with it.

6. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Just want to update, I thought I was on 20H2 on my acer when in fact, I was using 2004. Now, I am on 2oH2 and the machine is faster, smoother and overall, just better than on 2004. Opening apps, windows etc are snappier and faster. Just another machine running 20H2 with great results.

7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Looks like Microsoft don't trust the latest and greatest. Probably a good decision. Not everyday you see they can use their head:)

Microsoft Begins Force-Upgrading Windows 10 v1903 Devices (Surprisingly Not to 2020 Versions)

But with this move, the company is bypassing 2020's two feature updates, version 2004 and version 20H2, casting doubts on Microsoft's confidence in the two recent versions of the operating system. The company has been extremely slow with the rollout process, with many users still waiting for an update notification for the May 2020 Update (version 2004), let alone the latest October 2020 Update (version 20H2).

Cumulative updates - November 2020 answers.microsoft.com
    upload_2020-11-15_3-41-17.png

Early patching reports for November askwoody.com | November 14th, 2020 at 10:57 Susan Bradley

I’m seeing reports in www.patchmanagement.org from some admins reporting bsod’s after applying November updates to 2004 Windows 10. The BSOD occurs after going into sleep mode

So far the models that have reported issues are:

HP Envy x360

1.hp probook 650 g4
    2.hp elite x2 1012 g2
    3.hp probook 650 g5
    4.hp elitebook x360 1040 g6

I’m not seeing issues on my 2004’s and 20H2’s but if you are on 1909 on these models you may want to ensure you stay there for a bit as I’ve not seen issues reported on the 1909 platform only the 2004.

P.S. I’m not sure if it’s related to the Thunderbolt SSD bsod issue or not.

Windows 10 KB4586781 fails to install and causes other bugs windowslatest.com | Yesterday

Windows 10 KB4586781, which was released in the second week of November, appears to be a fairly stable release when compared to older updates but it’s also plagued with installation issues.

Microsoft’s latest cumulative update doesn’t just fail to address a bug that performs TRIM command on non-SSD drives—but once again introduces installation issues, and other minor gremlins.

Windows 10 in-place upgrade bug means you can no longer keep your files windowslatest.com - November 15, 2020

Windows 10 in-place upgrade also retains settings and your customization. In fact, several pre-installed apps and their data also remain unchanged.

Unfortunately, following the release of Windows 10’s October 2020 Update, it’s no longer possible to save your apps, settings and files when performing an in-place upgrade.

Reinstalling Windows 10 is an easy and most effective way to fix all kinds of problems with the operating system. Microsoft allows you to refresh your Windows 10 installation with the Media Creation Tool.

Note that the Media Creation Tool works as expected when you upgrade from Windows 10 version 2004, but if you install the October 2020 Update (20H2) via Windows Update (enablement package), you’ll be forced to choose the “Nothing” option during an in-place upgrade and lose your files.

Microsoft sources told us that the problem will be fixed in December 2020 Patch Tuesday updates.

The weekend is still young. We will see what may pop up tomorrow:)

jclausius, Vasudev and 0lok like this.
  8. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    And yet, my 2007 notebook hums along with no issues on 20H2. All these things are so blown out of proportion by a couple of whiny haters here.

9. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    OpenCL and OpenGL Compatibility Pack

Vasudev, Papusan and macmyc like this.
  10. hertzian56

hertzian56 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I still have one of those asus eeepc netbooks from I don't even remember, 2008 maybe. Still has Win7 on it works fine for on the go web browsing, msoffice, watching movies, even light gaming if I wanted to lol. It's static though, no new software on it for a long time.