Windows 10 1903

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Spartan, Jan 30, 2019.

1. pete962

pete962 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi Vasudev, I think it was you recommending DISM++ to me in another thread and thank you, been using it since then and cleared massive amounts of junk, but those GB numbers are after the cleaning.
    My problem right now is that my new Win10 laptop writes about 1TB/month and I can't wrap my head around, hows that even possible with the light use that it is experiencing so far. My older Win7 laptop uses 1/3 of that with same use pattern. Either the SSD has firmware error and overstates the usage, or this Win10 is very busy doing nothing. BTW anybody know when MS will finally fix DCOM permission error for runtime broker, it's been there like forever on every W10 computer I have with 6-10 errors logged per hr.

2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Is it on RAID 0+1? With RAID writes will be more to ensure higher data reliability and performance. If your SSD is not MLC, the SSD might run out of spare NANDs due to heavy writes.
    Try disabling windows update using WUMT wrapper script or windows update blocker with protect service settings.
    DCOM is a important component in every windows version, have you tried SFC /scannow in safe mode?

3. pete962

Reputations:
    No RAID, SSD is Samsung 3 bit MLC (I think it's OEM version of 960 EVO with 981 controller), updates are disabled with OOSU10 and with WIFI set to metered.
    SFC is the first thing I run, comes back clean. If you google error 10016, you get many hits going back to 2017. The fix is to change permissions, but I'm reluctant to do so, since I don't fully understand why. I have 2 runtime brokers on my PC, possibly one is left over from before fall update and therefore lacking proper permission on updated system. I'm hoping 19H1 will fix some issues, but I may be overly optimistic LOL.

4. Vasudev

Reputations:
    I hope DCOM services in services.msc is set to Auto or Manual.

5. pete962

Reputations:
    DCOM is full auto, I only disabled few services, that I deem unsafe to run, like remote registry or "user experience". What I don't understand is why runtime broker is even running, since it supposed to check metro programs permissions and as far as I know I do not run any Metro programs and have deleted or disabled most of them. I think I need to look at all programs and services running and kill the metro app that I somehow missed.
    I'm pretty sure the #10016 DCOM error is MS fault, since it shows up on all 4 Win10 laptops we have at home and they all are setup differently, for example my wife's laptop is almost stock from factory with very few tweaks, my kids laptop is updated from Win8, my laptop is updated from Original Win10 disk and another one is 2 months old HP with most tweaks in place.

6. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    One solution to all the problems here: install Linux, and cold-turkey stop using Windows and associated closed-source applications.

MS Office—LibreOffice
    MS Word—TeX/LaTeX, and any editor of choice (Vim, TeXStudio, TeXMaker, etc)
    MS PowerPoint—LaTeX Beamer
    Adobe Lr: RawTherapee, DarkTable
    Adobe Ps: GIMP
    Adobe Ai: Inkscape
    Maya/3DSMax: Blender

Steam and SteamPlay exists on Linux. If you need Windows, VM in. Get an AMD CPU and an AMD GPU, and run Linux. Or use Windows happily! I'm personally quite pleased with the changes in Windows 19H1. I can see some people who'd like the white theme. It's just an option, gents; don't use it if you don't want to.

UNCNDL1, Aroc and Vasudev like this.
  7. Vasudev

Reputations:
    Usually you install windows just to be able to read docx,xlsx and pttx correctly in MSO instead of being garbled text in LO!

Aroc likes this.
  8. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Who needs .docx when you have .tex? :p

Aroc likes this.
  9. Vasudev

Reputations:
    Find a W10 PC with least usage, do a MR image backup. Use regownershipex from winaero and this guide
    Another alternative would running regedit.exe in TrustedInstaller mode using Nsudo and change the permissions in regedit itself w/o getting any errors. Do you see any apps in Appx section of dism++?

10. Vasudev

Reputations:
    TeX is really good for very long docs. 90% of the install base use docx.

Aroc likes this.