Windows 10 1903

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Ultra Male, Jan 30, 2019.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Why would you jump to calling it Beta? Did the updates say Beta?

If you click resume updates then yes any waiting updates will automatically start installing.

That's why I don't like Windows 10 updates, they just come in and start installing and you don't have any say over which ones do or don't get downloaded and installed.

On previous Windows versions you'd get a list of recommended and optional updates and you could uncheck recommended updates and check optional updates to moderate your update downloads / installs.

With the old method you could ignore old driver updates - you've already downloaded and installed newer versions from the product vendor - and you could uncheck and not install updates that are problematic.

With Windows 10 you get all of them, and then you can uninstall the ones you don't want, but they will come right back as soon as you enable updates again.

Mr. Fox and Papusan like this.
  2. Rodster

Rodster Merica

Reputations:
    No, they didn't say Beta but I remember reading that if you click on "Check For Updates" it starts checking and downloading what's termed as B and C updates which Microsoft classifies as Unstable/Beta updates.

https://www.howtogeek.com/369656/do...-unless-you-want-unstable-windows-10-updates/
    Does this still hold true if you manually check for updates?

Mr. Fox and hmscott like this.
  3. hmscott

Reputations:
    If you are pausing and unpausing updates that isn't the same as manually clicking "Check for updates", so no in that sense you aren't changing to getting "beta" updates.

As per Microsoft:

“We Encourage You Not to Click ‘Check for Updates'”

"As Microsoft revealed, only people who clicked “Check for Updates” got bitten by Windows 10’s file deletion bug. When you click the “Check for Updates” button, Microsoft gives you updates early, skipping a normal part of the testing process."

Which is also a really bad change of effect for a long time standard user operation to "Check for Updates" to see available updates before deciding to select and download / install them.

MS has really screwed up the whole Update process by deciding to force updates, then be pounded on by users until MS decided to give users control to pause updates - even if only for a limited time - but still Windows 10 has reduced flexibility in it's inability to selectively choose updates instead of a single on/off spigot setting, "pause".

I use Shutup10 + WPD to disable / block Windows Updates - as well disable a whole bunch of other privacy and useless cruft, and you can then re-enable Windows Updates in both tools - reboot - in order to take Windows updates.

The recommended method is to leave Windows Update disabled all of the time and to manually download and install desired updates, although that can be time consuming it's the only sure way to know what you are updating and why.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    Papusan likes this.
  4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    This takes below 10 min of your time. And there is no need for driver updates pushed out from Redmond HQ.

hmscott likes this.
  5. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Yes, this is very wise. I have been using all versions of Windows with updates disabled for like 7 or 8 years now, and that has always served me extremely well. I have never had any system screwed up by Windows Updates since I started playing god of my computers and allowing nothing to occur unless I do it on purpose. And, with a Macrium Reflect image ready to fix my mistakes there have been zero mishaps or regrets. A few times I erred in my judgment allowing updates without a Macrium Reflect image and it was my fault when things turned out to my own chagrin.
    Indeed. If you are very selective and don't fix anything that isn't broken, that doesn't leave many "important" or security updates to ponder whether or not they need to be applied. Feature updates are almost always retarded. "Important"updates are generally unimportant. "Security" updates deserve consideration if you are paranoid. Driver updates should almost never be allowed if the system functions correctly. You can almost always get what you need, if you actually need it, directly from the device manufacturer. Assuming that newer is better is stupid. Micro$lop drivers frequently are the best, often not the newest, frequently have missing features and are often lacking in some functionality. Cumulative updates and roll-ups are usually trojans that should be scrutinized closely if not avoided.

Ashtrix, hmscott and Papusan like this.
  6. hmscott

Reputations:
    When blocking Windows 10 Updates, you have to be vigilant in maintaining your regimen of blocker app settings - especially if you run an Update - manually or via allowing Windows Update to get the latest updates. And, don't forget to reboot for those changes to take effect...I left Windows Update Service running...

After you run a Windows update go into O&O Shutup10 / WPD and re-set to disable Windows Updates, because a applying a Windows Update may re-enable Automatic Windows Update. And, don't forget to reboot for those changes to take effect... sigh.

Today when I was making the post describing the tools I use to block Windows Updates I tested enabling Automatic Windows Updates (for Science) - rebooted - allowed the Updates (yes it's risky), then went back and re-set the options in Shutup10 and WPD, but got distracted and forgot to reboot and didn't use WUB to verify Windows Updates were blocked.

WUB on it's own can block Windows Updates, but since I am already using Shutup10 and WPD I only use WUB as a sanity check to verify Windows Updates have really been disabled.

Just now I noticed I have a Windows notification, and it was requesting a reboot to apply Windows Updates - automatic updates done since I did the test earlier today and accidentally left Windows Update Service running. Fortunately nothing bad happened (I hope).

So I checked Shutup10 and sure enough the last 2 options in the Windows Update section were Red, and should be Green - blocking as shown here.
    OO Shutup 10 after Windows Update allowed to get updates.PNG

My failure to reboot after changing settings in Shutup10 / WPD allowed the Automatic Windows Update to run - the Windows Update service wasn't stopped - and the Automatic Windows Update went in and re-enabled itself.

It's fixed now, and I verified by checking the state of Windows Update with WUB:
    Use Windows Update Blocker to verify you are stil blocking Windows Updates.PNG

WPD blocking shows green as well:
    WPD Rules BLocking for Windows Update - Green is blocking.PNG

This is another reason I don't like Windows 10, hyper-vigilance isn't 100% possible, human distractions or errors can bite you when these things are being reset by Windows 10 Updates.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    The cancer continue. With Windows Update enabled you have a Ticking Bomb in front of you...

Microsoft Acknowledges Another Bug Brought by the Latest Windows 10 1903 Cumulative Update

The initial roll out may have been near flawless, but the Windows 10 May 2019 Update has now fallen into the same pandemonium of problems over problems. Regardless of how few users may be affected, it goes without saying that an update that is supposed to bring fixes should not be bringing more issues to users.

hmscott likes this.
  8. 6730b

6730b Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Jeez, they can't even manage to get it right for their own products.

"To safeguard your update experience, we have applied a compatibility hold on Surface Book 2 devices with Nvidia dGPUs from being offered Windows 10, version 1903, until this issue is resolved."

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/status-windows-10-1903#517msgdesc

btw "To safeguard your update experience" "applied a compatibility hold" etc ...who the heck is responsible for their use of such utterly stupid wording.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    Papusan and Ultra Male like this.
  9. Rodster

Rodster Merica

Reputations:
    In the past 1-2 yrs, Apple has gotten just as bad with some of their updates as well.

Vasudev likes this.
  10. epguy3

epguy3 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    assuming you are using the latest version of O&O Shutup10 because only the latest version of that tool supported the Win10 v1903 release. older versions of Shutup10 may not work with the newest Win10 version like 1903. O&O didn't yet update their Shutup10 page to mention 1903 support.

hmscott likes this.