Windows 10 1903

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Spartan, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Why you think you own M$'s own property? CIGAR.gif Of course, they (not you) have the right to do whatever they want:hi:
    upload_2019-1-31_14-54-44.png

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Same with Apple as Macintosh HD instead of Papusan's Mac HD.
    Enable Reserved storage regtweak:
    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ReserveManager]
    "ShippedWithReserves"=dword:00000001

Disable Reserved storage junk:
    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ReserveManager]
    "ShippedWithReserves"=dword:00000000

The regtweaks are available at chef koch's github repo.

vIkInG_w0w, c69k, Aroc and 1 other person like this.
  3. pete962

pete962 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    As others already mentioned: disable reserved space and you could disable, or at least control updates (easiest way is to set your wifi as metered connection). Also clear all the other garbage MS dumps on your computer and you'll be fine.

macmyc, Vasudev and Aroc like this.
  4. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    yep, and with every new W10 version the list of tweaks and tunables doubles, because we have to reverse/disable/remove more and more CRAP! :p

c69k, macmyc, Papusan and 2 others like this.
  5. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Yes, my Tweaks & Fixes had like 15 tweaks/fixes. Now look at the list, you have to do at least 50 steps before the OS is considered to be even usable

Fire Tiger, c69k, jaybee83 and 3 others like this.
  6. macmyc

macmyc Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I did not see that. How do i actually disable reserved space?

c69k likes this.
  7. Vasudev

Reputations:
    Some of them does cause conflicts with some third party software esp. Removal of Cortana,Game mode and some pesky SW.
    I integrated only half of your tweaks and apply some of them post install.
    Any suggestion for music players on Win 10? I tried foobar2k but UI is confusing when coming from Groove Music. Although I prefer iTunes Grid based album view which is easy to scroll and play. I'm retiring most UWP apps in favor of better Win32 apps. It looks like Win 10 consumer version will be similar to LTSC in another 8 years.
    I also tried Clementine which has same UI as Foobar2000. I do use iTunes for syncing iPhones but its too resource intensive whilst playing music.

6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9 likes this.
  8. Vasudev

Reputations:
    6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9 and macmyc like this.
  9. pete962

pete962 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    One of the main attractions from the very beginning of Windows (at least for me) was the fact that you could adjust and change a lot of things (try to do that on Android or iphone without root), but none of the tweaks is really necessary, if you don't want to do them. Even the 7GB reserved space is just another nonsense but irrelevant for most: right now my Windows install is taking about 55GB, out of which at least 25 -30GB is useless. 9GB is restore, which the only one time I tried to use didn't work, another 10GB is Winsx, again useless (I don't remember ever rolling back the driver, normally I would uninstall or restore from backup), then whole bunch of metro apps, which don't work too well, then logs, traces etc which again mostly nobody ever look at etc etc. Come to think of it, the 7 GB reserved space is not the biggest wasted space. My biggest fear is that they will lockout the user completely, like it's done on Android and iphone, so l would need to break into my own computer, to actually do any of those tweaks, since they're making it more and more obscure.

10. Vasudev

Reputations:
    I've cleared off 20-40GB of Windows update junk file that kept downloading updates to latest builds even after multiple failures. Dism Cleanup also cleaned up several GBs and after that I was able to update Windows to newer builds.

jaybee83 likes this.