Windows 10 1903 Update Not Completing After Restart / Booting Back into 1809

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by codester, May 23, 2019.

1. codester

codester Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I seem to be having an issue with this update on my XPS 9550. I am trying to use the Upgrade Assistant to update from 1809 to 1903. (All previous upgrades have worked fine in the past on this system.) The tool downloads and prepares the upgrade just fine and prompts me to restart. After restarting it stays on the Dell logo screen for a minute or so with a spinner. Then it just shows the log in screen and I'm back in 1809. The Windows.old folder it creates during the preparation is no longer there after the restart, so I'm guessing something went wrong and it rolls back. There is no indication or message at all stating that the upgrade failed. Is there any common issue that can cause this, or anywhere I can see what exactly failed?

2. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    1) You need to have all your drivers updated before attempting to update.

2) Try the manual upgrade tool: https://download.microsoft.com/down...85-9E63-AEAED1B9E98E/Windows10Upgrade9252.exe

Vasudev, codester and Papusan like this.
  3. codester

codester Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks, that did the trick! I last updated them about six months ago, but didn’t think it’d be that picky. I ended up updating a few things...
    • Updated BIOS and reset to BIOS defaults
    • Updated Intel RST/RAID driver
    • Updated Intel graphics driver
    • Updated NVIDIA graphics driver

Ultra Male likes this.
  4. Jdpurvis

Jdpurvis Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I tried the manual upgrade tool in the link above for my Gigabyte P35xv5. After a long period of updating, it rebooted, "worked on updating" to 27%, then rebooted again and hung after the initial Gigabyte logo . Ctrl alt Del produced a reboot to the same point. I forced it to shut all the way down with power button. When it rebooted, it reversed all the changes and went back to 1809. There is a Windows10 Upgrade folder with a mix of new and old files ~ 3 GB. Not sure whether to consider deleting it. 1809 seems back to normal. Will sit tight for now.

Any thoughts?

Joe

5. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Superb!! Be smart...be like Ultra Male!

6. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Did you update all your drivers?

7. Jdpurvis

Reputations:
    As far as I can tell, the only thing I didn't do was to reset bios to defaults: NVIDIA driver was most recent, all Intel drivers were most recent except Bluetooth (I have a Killer 1650 Wifi, and I have the most recent driver from Killer installed. Bios is most recent. The Intel driver check has one a bit more recent. I will try installing it and resetting to defaults.

8. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Would you like me to remotely login to your laptop to update all your drivers from A to Z?

Jdpurvis, Papusan and Vasudev like this.
  9. Jdpurvis

Reputations:
    Thanks for the offer. BY the time I saw it, I had updated the Bluetooth driver, reset the BIOS to defaults, and tried again. Same result. I think I will take a step back and see if I can figure it out. Perhaps by then there will be a newer version. :)

Best,

Joe

10. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Micro$lope want Guinea pig
    [​IMG]
    KB4497935 Windows 10 1903 18362.145 (manual download) + KB4498523 as SSU + KB4502374 as dynamic update

Microsoft has released a new cumulative update for the Windows 10 1903. The KB 4497935 increases the version number to the Windows 10 18362.145. There is also a new Servicing Stack Update KB4502374. Both are used by Microsoft in the Release Preview Ring

Ultra Male likes this.