Win 10 upgrade on this laptop (P7805u)

Discussion in 'Gateway and eMachines' started by TreeTops Ranch, Aug 3, 2015.

1. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Moderator

Reputations:
    The P79 is the same chipset and all, only real difference is the GPU, sound card and CPU capability. The last one is because of power structure which has nothing to do with drivers etc. The bios is a different version but if you are running 9c.17 you should be Windows 7 ready as well.

I upgraded from Windows 7, again the big issue is it say's there is a memory management error when memory is fine. Allot of other users are getting this error even where the link does not fix it. You may have to wait for M$ to sort this out.

2. bobkathaire

bobkathaire Newbie

Reputations:
    Has anyone else with older Gateway laptops that were updated to windows 7 not been able to update to Win 10? It has an older Nvidia gaming card installed. Please post all experience upgrading....god or bad.

Thanks

3. JohnWhoTwo

JohnWhoTwo Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So, guys and gals, what's the verdict - is my p7805u upgradable to Windows 10 from Win 7 or not?

I haven't used mine in awhile and am now cleaning it up and running all the Win 7 updates to get it current.

It is in great condition and I'd sure like to see it chugging along on Win 10.

4. bobkathaire

bobkathaire Newbie

Reputations:
    I tried everything to upgrade my p-7805u from win 7 to 10. Install hung when loading settings and drivers. Although win 7 runs fine, ms tools do say I have un-repairable system files. But that should not affect the upgrade to newer system files.

5. downloads

downloads Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    @bobkathaire Check SMART status of the HDD, it might be dying on you.

6. TANWare

Reputations:
    Also this appears to hang but in reality takes a real long time, like hours at some points.

7. JohnWhoTwo

Reputations:
    Yes, I've upgraded 3 PCs so far - all from Win 8.1 - and there are some times when the delay is somewhat long.

I recall it getting to 92% and then seeming to stay there for a long time before finally moving on.

8. JohnWhoTwo

Reputations:
    I can now report that Windows 10 does, in fact, work very well on this stock notebook.

I am watching a movie on it (standard DVD) right now using Microsoft's DVD player.

Kinda large to be a portable DVD player though. :)

9. TreeTops Ranch

TreeTops Ranch Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The "stock" version of this laptop had Vista. So that is not answering the question about Win 7.

10. TANWare

Reputations:
    What question about W7? I know stock these were Vista machines but I think the guy already had previously upgraded to W7.