Win 10 upgrade on this laptop (P7805u)

Discussion in 'Gateway and eMachines' started by TreeTops Ranch, Aug 3, 2015.

1. TreeTops Ranch

TreeTops Ranch Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I sure would like to hear some words on how smooth the upgrade works for P-7805u.

2. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Moderator

Reputations:
    went well for my P79xx.

3. TANWare

Reputations:
    I have to come back to say I had to revert. The problem is the updates broke and they did not give enough information to track it down. On reversion the task scheduler was corrupt s probability is that was the issue. If it would have indicated that I could have stayed but alas.

4. Omexis

Omexis Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    How do you mean that your updates broke? I'm also thinking about updating to Win 10 but really windows 7 offers everything I need (although a nice change of OS is always nice :))

On another note, I did install the window update for Windows 7 to allow for Windows 10 installation but never received a notification on my taskbar to download and install, on further investigation this could be a Windows quirk or that my system does not meet the minimum requirements...bizarre.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
  5. TANWare

Reputations:
    Windows 10 is mandatory upgrades. If they do not go through all subsequent upgrades are a no go. With the new cumulative one it would get to 59% and then say it could not upgrade and would bring me back. Form there you coukld only select the upgrade again. This is a known issue. My fix was after going back re-installing. For me the task scheduler got corrupted. but I still have other issues now.

6. Omexis

Omexis Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That is one of the major things from getting me to upgrade...the automatic (you have no choice) updates. While most are bug fixes I do feel that Microsoft are potentially adding whatever they want to their Windows platform.

7. TANWare

Reputations:
    yes they are/will. This is something that will happen with W10 and we have no control. My primary consern, one that effects us right now, is the driver forced updates. I know updates on the UI and functionality will be yet another bridge to cross in the not too distant future.

8. bobkathaire

bobkathaire Newbie

Reputations:
    OK.....Regarding upgrading P-7805u to Windows 10!

Tried everything and still the upgrade process hangs when loading drivers and application on first re-boot phase.

This leads to reverting back to windows 7 with the following error message:

0xc1900101-0x30018

Failed in the first_boot phase during sysprep operation.

Please give me some assistance?

9. TANWare

Reputations:
  10. bobkathaire

bobkathaire Newbie

Reputations:
    No luck! Seems this Gateway FX hardware is just not compatible. Since it was originally purchased with Vista and upgraded to Win 7, wonder if an upgrade to win 8, followed by win 10 may be a solution. Never purchased Win 8, so an expensive option. Has anyone out there with a Gateway P-7805u had succes?