Win 10 pro random reboots on cf31

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by sunrk, Apr 30, 2021.

1. sunrk

sunrk Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I've been seeing a gradually increasing rise in these happening with my mk3 cf31.

I don't know the cause, and because Windows Update has broken again (I cannot install updates because of the dreaded 0x80073712 error that I am unable to repair), I don't know if the cause is software or hardware triggered.

The fan in my cf31 runs a lot of the time and I was wondering if that means I need to take the cf31 apart to clean it inside (remember how a fan draws dust in)?

Craig.

PS. Last time I had that same windows update error the only way I could fix it was re-install Win 10 pro from scratch.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
  2. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
    I would start by cleaning the fan. It is the easiest thing to try.

BaRRmaley likes this.
  3. BaRRmaley

BaRRmaley Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Had this problem with passive cooled Samsung's win tablet. Exceeds 100C and shuts down or reboots. Seems like a bug. Of course check the fan for beginning.

4. sunrk

sunrk Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I don't know if the reboots are actually being caused by localised overheating. How is the fan, etc. actually acesses in a CF31 and where does the air path start from?

I'd like to fix the Windows Update error as it's about 4 months since it started to happen again.

5. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
    Bob Johnson video should help explain where everything is. Cleaning the fan won't require a complete removal.

6. safn1949

safn1949 I'm sure I'm on the wrong planet

Reputations:
    Are you using a recovery dvd or a Win 10 iso and driver pack, I ask because I am running Win 10 here for a game and as much as I hate to admit it, this version is flawless. If you want it. :D

Cognetic likes this.
  7. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    Do you have an SSD and did you clone it when you installed it?

toughasnails and UNCNDL1 like this.
  8. mattpayne

mattpayne Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I think there must be an update that has caused this... My MK3 Performance has started doing the same, just out of the blue.

Running win10 (edu) for probably 3 years, flawlessly, and all of a sudden won't boot 3out of 5 times with a 'something went wrong' and I can't remember the error code.

Reinstalled from scratch and after all the updates, exactly the same behavior... Would love to figure it out, the CF31 isn't used much, but when I need it, I need it to behave!

9. safn1949

safn1949 I'm sure I'm on the wrong planet

Reputations:
    toughasnails and Shawn like this.
  10. Cire3

Cire3 Newbie

Reputations:
    CF-51J MK2 with same issues, it will hang and give issues with heavy lag as if the mouse is unplugged. On large hangs ejecting USB helps break it free for a few seconds, and then starts again.

I believe it's heat related as I can use canned air to cool the heat sync and it actually helps with the lagging until it warms back up. Removed system board (My first CF-31 board and it sucks) and it's not dirty.

What I found was one CPU core hangs @ 100% and the fan keeps kicking on and off every 5-10 seconds and runs hot.

I think it may be intel dynamic platform and thermal framework driver ? Tried installing what I thought was most compatible and it rewarded me with a BSOD :)

Still working on my end.