will VGA to 22 inch monitor look good?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by bpage, Feb 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gazza_DJ

Gazza_DJ Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    As long as your VGA cable is decently shielded it will be fine. However ,if you put both side by side DVI does look crisper.

2. sublime313

sublime313 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    is this always true? i'm on a 24" WUXGA connected through VGA and it looks great, although i have nothing to compare it to. i need a DVI to HDMI converter, but they look fairly pricey. are you sure it will make a difference?

3. Gazza_DJ

Reputations:
    I can tell the difference with my S2409W (1920x1080) between the VGA cable and using a HDMI cable. However, I havent tried using a better VGA cable, and the VGA cable does run next to a lot of power cables etc so there could be some interference.

4. Michel.K

Michel.K 167WAISIQ

Reputations:

I have had a Dell 2007WFP (those pricey S-IPS panels) and a Samsung 19" TFT (TN panel) both with VGA and DVI.

My eyes couldn't see any differences at all between the quality of DVI and VGA. But i think it's all in the eyes of the beholder.

5. Datamonger

Datamonger Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You mentioned that you were buying a notebook from Best Buy. Since you are going there, you may want to take a look at the notebook that I have, the Gateway MD2614u. This thing has both HDMI and VGA as well as four USB ports. Just one thing though, it has one of the new 16:9 LCD panels. Some things tend to look a bit too stretched out on this display.

6. bpage

bpage Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  7. sublime313

sublime313 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    well, i'm going to go get a Vizio 6' HDMI 1.3b cable tomorrow from walmart.. it's only $19. actually, dell.com has it right now for $14, which seems like an unbelievable deal. 24k gold plated and everything. only crappy thing is my docking station does not have HDMI...

8. Gazza_DJ

Reputations:
    Just double check it is 1.3b, if it isnt it may not support resolutions much higher than 1280x720.

9. PhoenixFx

PhoenixFx Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    According to specifications all HDMI versions starting from 1.0 upwards supports 1080p.

10. Gazza_DJ

Reputations:
    Yes, but you will find that most cables will say they are HDMI 1.3a or 1.3b compliant or nothing at all, hence why you should make sure it is 1.3b.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.