Will having too many antivirus programs be bad?

Discussion in 'Security and Anti-Virus Software' started by evilmonk, Jul 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bmwrob

bmwrob Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Unless you're running Norton 2007, Sam, giving Trend Micro a "try out" is probably an excellent idea. If yours is an earlier version of Norton, I think you'll find Trend Micro to be a great improvement.

Each probably protects computers well enough, but TM is not as great a system hog as the old Norton program, IMHO.

2. Sam

Sam Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yes, you're absolutely right. I don't really like Norton, I prefer Trend Micro and I have quite an interest in Kaspersky as well. But buying antivirus isn't my decision, so my opinion/interest doesn't matter :p.

3. kinkouin

kinkouin Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Exactly, all you need basically is a firewall and an anti-virus. Anti-spyware, you can either just run manually, such as spybot and adaware, which both catch different spyware/adware that the other doesnt.

Too many just leads to a major slowdown on your computer, and in the end, just more stress for the CPU.

4. lottdod_1999

lottdod_1999 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    jesus what are you so afraid of?

5. elscorcho

elscorcho Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    i'm the visceral opposite of you - i have Vista's default firewall up (alongside my router's firewall), windows defender and zero anti-virus programs. i toyed with the idea of installing AOL's Active Virus Shield (a free full version of Kaspersky), but that seems increasingly unlikely; in my 10+ years using computers, i can count the amount of times real-time scanning has flagged a virus in one hand.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.