Will D900C/D901C support Q9300, Q9450 and Q9550?

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by grunnsat, Nov 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grunnsat

grunnsat Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm trying to find out if the Clevo D900C/D901C will support the new quadcore Q9300, Q9450 and Q9550 cpu's. These processors will become available in January.

They should have the same power consumption as the present Q6600 and Q6700 cpu's, and the 965 chipset can support them. Only a bios upgrade might be needed.

The SSE4 instructions in these new cpu's can speed up video codecs quite a lot, up to 60% ...

2. steponz

steponz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I sure hope soo..... If so I will be upgrading....

I really don't like that we get stuck with this crappy bios... Hopefully we won't need one... If we do... a company out there needs to step it up and offer us one.....

Joe

3. Gophn

Gophn NBR Resident Assistant

Reputations:
    at the moment, any CPU (dual or quad-core) using 95w or less will work fine in the Clevo D900c/D901c.

Any CPU with more than 95w will probably work, but probably cause damage or instabilities due to the CPU not being able to pull enough power.

4. CRFfred

CRFfred Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This is more good news for 9260/9261 owners. I will definitly make the upgrade to the Penryn when available. This would be well worth the money along with the 8800M GTX SLI upgrade. Thanks Eurocom for the info.

5. grunnsat

grunnsat Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I think you could be mistaken. The D900C/D901C uses the P965 + ICH8R chipset. Now have a look at this list of Asus motherboards that can support the Penryn class cpus. It lists 10 motherboards with the same chipset that can be used with these new cpus. Other motherboard manufacturers have similar lists.

I would conclude from these lists that in principle it is possible that the chipset of the D900C/D901C can support the Penryn cpus.

6. kl5167

kl5167 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Sorry for my confusion on this, while I will probably not look at upgrading the CPU for 4-6 months it looks like I will have to replace my system. Is that correct? I have the 9261 (currently being sold as the D901C) with a q6700 currently. If I understand what you said it means the new CPU is not supported. Is that correct?

7. CRFfred

CRFfred Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You will have upgrade your MB which is worth roughly 500.00 USD if I am not mistaken.

8. kl5167

Reputations:
    Err... I think if that is the case I will wait to the upgrade to the video card as well then. Unless this is something that I can do myself. But still it is really good news. It will be truly the most impressive mobile platform to date.

9. steponz

steponz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I agree with grunnsatt from the specs we currently have.. the current motherboard should support the newer chips....

From what I have read.. We should be fine til the newer CPU line comes out at the end of next year... Having a brain lapse on what the name of it is...

Joe

10. kl5167

Reputations:
    I think I need to do some more research on this for later. I was under the impression that this would be good with the new chips coming out in the next few months. But I could be wrong, something in the specs could have changed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.