Will an OS reinstall wipe over a trojan/virus attack?

Discussion in 'Security and Anti-Virus Software' started by Simic, Dec 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wave

wave Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    You don't need to buy any new anti virus program to scan files. Norton has Security Scan and Clean which is free ware. It is the same as the normal Norton only that it has no live protection. The scanner is the same as the one used in the Norton commercial products. It is perfect for scanning an external disk or any back ups you might have made. I think other companies have similar free ware.

2. DetlevCM

DetlevCM Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Which begs the question - why use Norton in the first place?
    Microsoft Security Essentials is free, does a good job and includes live protection :)

Oh, and it isn't noticeable even on a SSD (where sadly KIS was)

3. Simic

Simic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thank you to everybody who replied.

I was traveling over the holidays, but I'm back up and running. I'm now trying to decide what freeware security to install. It seems MSE or Avast may be best, though I'm hesitant to install Avira since I had Avira running when the attack occurred (while browsing online)...perhaps MSE is better since it includes live protection, as a poster points out?

4. $immond$

$immond$ Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Id still use killdisk or dban, using the Vista/Win7 standard format is hardly a thorough format.

5. Angelic

Angelic Kickin' back :3

Reputations:
    :) I would give MSE a try, it's what I'm using now. It got a good review.

6. $immond$

$immond$ Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Its good if your not going to nasty sites and downloading extra flash codecs, or going to "crack/serial" websites to unlock pirated software. I am not sure how effective it is at stopping the notorious "80ies classic" from p2p programs.

7. DetlevCM

DetlevCM Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    So what do you call a through format?

A quick format in Windows deletes the Master File Table.
    A full format overwrites every "cell" with I think zeroes.

And that is the definition of a format - nothing else.

8. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    While this site does not permit discussion of virtually anything that contains the 2 words you mentioned (the policy on that when it comes to these forums is a bit absurd though), MSE is effective in preventing all kinds of threats (including the ones you mentioned).
    Norton got scared and tried to slam Microsoft down because of it, fearing they will lose customers because MSE is completely free while retaining high level of detection rates and excellent all round protection.

Free solutions ARE more than adequate, provided you are using programs like Avira or MSE that have high detection rates.

9. UniqueQ

UniqueQ Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Also make sure the virus is not hiding in another partition. Might need to clean the disk in its entirety.

10. qhn

qhn Notebook User

Reputations:
    . A clean install would remove traces of any virus

. What good does it do if one loads back up data afterward to this new install? OP might want to scan them and make sure they are clean first before copying them over. Same goes with 3rd party apps.

. Agreeing with many posters here that MSE or Avast is plenty for protection. My personal preference is MSE at the moment, recently leaving Avast.

cheers ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.