Wild Fan Mod Idea! Share your knowledge and opinions!

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by DawnFalcon, Jul 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DawnFalcon

DawnFalcon Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Here I am 4am in the morning looking at some records of my stress tests, suddenly an interesting idea popped into my mind.
    Seeing my 3920xm in my M17xR4 down clock to prevent it from passing the 91C mark and knowing that the GPU fan pumps out much more air than the CPU fan, I wondered if it's possible to modify the CPU fan to use the GPU fan so it is able to pump out even more air to cool down the components.

This idea isn't completely random as I know the GPU fan with a bit of trimming can easily fit in the CPU fan space. But I am not sure the fan plugs is compatible with each other.

Getting a R4 fan from eBay isn't very hard either.

Looking forward to seeing your opinions and advices! :D

reborn2003 likes this.
  2. vs3074

vs3074 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Plugs and power requirements should be the same (5v under 1a). Just the matter of fitting the fan there, not sure if it will fit properly though.

Plugs should be identical and compatible in terms of wiring, just make sure both fans have same ratings for v/a.

3. DawnFalcon

DawnFalcon Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    if that is true, it would be awesome. The fitting isn't as big of a problem when compared with compatibility. Unfortunately, I currently lack a spare fan and the proper tools to check the specs of the fan plugs. Can somebody with the tool please check for me. Thanks ahead of time.

4. Alienware-L_Porras

Alienware-L_Porras Company Representative

Reputations:
    If you can get that done please let us see some pics :)

reborn2003 likes this.
  5. widezu69

widezu69 Goodbye Alienware

Reputations:
    Sorry for resurrecting an old thread. I've looked into this and the fans in the M18x are all like the ones in the M17x R3/R4 for the GPU. The M18x Left side fan MIGHT fit as is. I'll try it, If it won't fit I'll mod it by cutting it out.

reborn2003 likes this.
  6. juliant

juliant Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have the m18xr2 and the new 17 system. When I go home I will try to see if it fits and and post back here. If possible, I will also add pictures. Btw, it seams that the new 17 has the same fans as the previous version (I had the m17xR3), but they must have changed the part no. I will get back later today.

Hi again (sorry about the late reply). As far as I could see at both fans they are 5v and 0.5A, so this is not an issue.

The problem is that the m18x fans are bigger (6.5cm or if you want 65mm :p), I checked and measured all of them and the m17x / 17 systems have the fan smaller for the CPU (6cm or 60mm). It is not difficult to swap the blade, the issue is if you are willing to cut them to the size. I wouldn't do that because the bigger blade from the 18" system has a limit to it's size and if you reduce that, the air intake will be much less than expected + if you are not able to cut the blades to an exact size, you may experience noise distortion and probably in a short time, damage the fan itself (this is my opinion). If I had spare both the fans, I would have tried this mod, but since those are the only ones I have fixed in the systems, I will have to pass this test... I hope my info's have been of any use (or atleast some of them).

Best of luck!

7. vs3074

vs3074 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Changing the fan blade alone is a bad idea in my book. Fan blades have more design in them than we realise, unbalanced/thickness/width all are very important issues, screw up either one and the fan won't perform as well as it should.

Best bet is, if the whole fan can be changed or a more powerful fan can be installed.

8. Wizbeer

Wizbeer Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    if it can been done I would do it asap.......

9. bobthedespot

bobthedespot Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Do it!!!!!

10. widezu69

widezu69 Goodbye Alienware

Reputations:
    Once I get some time and money I'll look into it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.