Wii-U becoming a viable game platform?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Mitlov, Jun 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    Well every platform has exclusives, it's just that Nintendo exclusives are the ones I actually want to play since most AAA's nowadays are just so stale.

$400 might be unfeasible, but you can quite easily build a very decent entry-level gaming PC for $550-600, e.g. with an FX-6300 & R9 270X, that'll provide a better gaming experience than either of the new-gen consoles for the entirety of their lifespan. And the money you save on games and online subscription fees in the long run will more than make up the difference in initial investment. This is what I helped a friend do earlier this year, and he's using the money he saved by going the PC route to get a Wii U.

And the rumor on the street (from AMD no less) is that the PS4 and Xbone are gonna be refreshed much sooner than people expect because of how anemic the hardware inside them is.

2. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    Yeah, I just found out about the $549 Alienware Alpha, a tiny Windows gaming PC (about the size of a Wii) with an awesome custom GPU and upgradeable everything else. It was originally designed as a Steam Machine, but released as a TV-friendly Windows gaming rig when SteamOS got delayed. It's hard to make up the difference in price between a $400 PS4 and a $2000 gaming laptop with monthly subscriptions and Steam sales, but making up $150 isn't hard at all.

Interesting. The long lifespan of the game consoles is a big part of why I've argued they provide excellent value compared to a gaming PC.

3. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    Yeah the Alienware Alpha is surprisingly good for the price, and it's probably the most affordable/bang-for-buck PC Alienware has ever released LOL. The form factor is fanatastic. And the Haswell i3 + Maxwell 860M in the $550 base model is very close in performance to the FX-6300 + R9 270X rig I helped my friend build for $600. The CPU in the Alienware might even be better, but the GPU is a step behind (860M = 750 Ti/7850, R9 270X = 7870).

The situation with the consoles this time around is very different than last gen because they're just very middling gaming PC's being sold at cost.

4. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    And no offense to your craftsmanship, but I bet the Alienware Alpha looks a LOT classier/sexier/sleeker in an entertainment center than any homebuilt PC does...

I'm wary of what the fan noise is going to be like, though. The PS4 is quiet, the Xbox One is basically silent, but the Alienware X51 and the Alienware 14 both have a reputation for loud-as-hell fans. And with an even smaller form factor, this could require one heck of a fan to keep it cool.

5. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    Yep can't argue with you there. I used an NZXT Source 210 white. Nothing fancy could be done aesthetically with that kind of budget. And the Alpha is tiny compared to it.

Yeah thermals is the big question mark.

6. XxxKing YBxxX

XxxKing YBxxX Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If I ever get a Wii u, it will be for super smash bros. 4 alone lol

Syndrome and Mitlov like this.
  7. Yotsuba

Yotsuba Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    All I can say is that you're missing out on some really awesome games. The same applies to games in development. Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8, and Super Mario 3D World are just a few. Not to mention the awesome looking Splatoon that's coming out next year. The Wii U may not have the install base or eye candy that the other two systems have, but when you get down to the bottom of things, it's the quality of games that matters most. I'd rather have a few really good games released over the course of a year than a bunch of mediocre titles shoved down my throat every month.

8. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    The Good Nintendo Giveth, the Good Nintendo Taketh Away.

It looks like Nintendo is going to tie in their Skylanders' competitors, Amiibo, to a number of their first-party titles (including Smash Bros and Mario Kart). It's like microtransactions and DLC, because everybody LOVES microtransactions and DLC and wishes there were more of them in console gaming! No wait, even better, it's like microtransactions and DLC that your kids can lose behind the couch or your dog can chew on! And while I have no problem with Skylanders, because they're only used for the Skylanders game, Amiibo is going to be something you can't get away from in a number of Wii-U titles.

Sigh...

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2015
  9. µGamera

µGamera Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Personally I think you just like the TV->gaming experience. There's nothing wrong with that. But you gotta' be open minded to new/cheaper options. The TV gaming experience can be achieved with the PC. To each his own I guess, and it's quite a bit cheaper for PC gamers too

10. Yotsuba

Yotsuba Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah, but Amiibo isn't required to play every game thus making it completely optional to buy them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.