Wii-U becoming a viable game platform?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Mitlov, Jun 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    I wouldn't go quite that far...you can't get The Last of Us or the Uncharted series on PC, and you can't get a gaming PC for $399 that stays current (i.e., able to play new AAA games) for seven years without upgrading. So I wouldn't call a PS4 "inferior in all aspects" to a PC; there are some advantages. But yeah, of the three consoles, Nintendo is definitely the furthest removed from the PC gaming experience.

tijo likes this.
  2. µGamera

µGamera Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I'd love to agree with you on this one, but if one mods and optimizes the games themselves, you can have console quality, for years.
    I recall a Crysis mod which played Crysis on medium settings while making it look like high without any sacrifice of framerate whatsoever, it can be done, the games are just not as pre-optimized as they are for consoles..

Think of most consoles as computers that play games on medium-high settings at a capped 30 FPS, that have limited operational functions.

When people bring up the PC being more expensive than the console, they don't consider the facts that:
    A)You're usually paying $80+ for controllers
    B)You're not going to be magically running this console without a TV, they discount the fact that they already have a TV
    C)In the case of a laptop, not portable at all in comparison, and the set up time is about the same.
    D)As of recent some cases and microPCs, (Let alone laptops) are easier to travel with than
    E)PC's are almost always backwards compatible
    E+) Meaning that the library of computer games is not lacking
    E++)Emulators.
    F)Consoles are limited to 1 controller, I have personally used almost every single controller on my PC
    G)Consoles have SIGNIFICANTLY limited operations otherwise, browsing on consoles is more often than not a huge pain for me
    H)PCs have notoriously better frame rates

If you're not lazy, there's really no cons list here.

I'd say the WiiU is there cause of the community, and the exclusives. I mean, you can not really have that Mario Kart experience without a Nintendo console. Mario games work best on Nintendo consoles, as do Pokémon etc. I don't think any other console can come close to that..I mean even the Wii (Original) offers an experience which you can't recreate on a PC.
    But I will definitely put it out there that we have some exclusives on PC that simply cannot be recreated on consoles...To each his own though.

3. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    That's a time commitment, a hassle, a degree of technical know-how that a lot of people don't have, etc. To label everyone who doesn't want to mod and manually optimize AAA games for seven years, instead of buying a $299-$399 system where they don't have to, "lazy"...it's really uncalled for and not particularly accurate.

4. µGamera

µGamera Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Understand this, when it comes to the modern day modding process, it's usually as simple as:
    Google Mod-> Youtube Tutorial-> Install Mod
    You're paying a premium on your optimized games anyway since PC games are usually cheaper, so I think you're saving more in the long run anyway, since maybe 85-90+% of console gamers also own a PC of some sort.

Unless you don't like mixing business with pleasure of course which is a totally fine way of thinking , and other than exclusives, I personally do not see anything besides theoretical laziness which would cause someone (especially someone tech savy) to take the console route over the PC. Just putting that out there.

5. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    Okay, if you're going to keep pushing this "lazy" BS...time is money and my time is worth something. Modding and optimizing games is not fun for me, it's work, and if I'm going to be working, I'll do some real work and make a whole lot more money than the price difference between a console game and a PC game. So buying a gaming console doesn't make me lazy. It makes me efficient.

And then there's the exclusives. How many of the games posted in this thread are coming to PC? How about Halo, Uncharted, The Last of Us, Forza Horizon, etc? If you prefer these games to PC exclusives (generally flight sims, real-time strategy games, etc), that doesn't make you lazy.

And this is the console gaming forum, not the PC gaming forum, amirite? So about that Wii-U...

6. µGamera

µGamera Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I did say you were entitled to your own opinion, but there is no "BETTER OPTION", they all have their falls.

7. heibk201

heibk201 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    one thing you forgot to add is that you also get the cheapest games for PC. how many times a year does steam give sales and how many times a year console games get a sale? not to mention any torrents and cracks that you can find on PC. in the end, console guys end up spending much more on gaming titles while PC gamers get their way through steam

8. Kuu

Kuu That Quiet Person

Reputations:
    I got a Wii U back in march around the time MK8 was announced, didn't regret the decision at all since Nintendo's games usually keep me playing for a while as opposed to one and done of damn near anything else I play. The way I look at it, $1 per hour of game time is fair to me, so I rarely pay more than $40 dollars for a game, and when I do, it's usually something from Nintendo.

I'll probably pick up Bayonetta 2 (since it includes the first game from what I read), and probably Splatoon (moreso because I don't like hyper "realism" in most FPS). Probably SSB, but undecided on that once since I don't really have anyone to play with locally.

9. tijo

tijo Sacred Blame

Reputations:
    Sometimes, I just want to sit back on my couch with a controller in hand, fire up the device and get to gaming right away and the console provides just that. Yes, you can recreate the experience pretty closely with a PC, but the console remains the most hassle free way of doing it. Is it laziness, probably, but still, there are those days when the console just feels right. There are also the exclusives of course.

Speaking of the Wii U, no metroid game, no buy, the lineup is looking pretty interesting, but give me a Metroid game made by Retro à la Prime and then I will seriously consider it. Considering the hours I put into ll three Metroid Prime games, I got awesome value for the money. When I don't know what to play, it's one of those games that doesn't really get old for me.

10. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    "So it has been a while since we released the last one and we're having discussions internally about what we can do next. So at this point we have two different types of Metroid games. We have the Prime style of Metroid game and we have the more traditional style of Metroid game. We feel that we do need to take care of both of these styles of play. And the hope is that at some point in the near future we'll be able to share something about them." -- Nintendo's Shinya Takahashi talking to Kotaku on June 12, 2014

Booyah.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.