1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Wifi disabled, can't turn it on

Discussion in 'HP & Compaq' started by mariana, Jul 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mariana

mariana Newbie

While closing my laptop before leaving for work yesterday, I accidentally disabled the wifi with the wifi button. When I returned home, I noticed it was turned off and tried to enable it again. But the button doesn't work -- it's disabled regardless of whether it's turned "on" or "off." I've disabled wifi before without ever having a problem in turning it on again. What could be wrong? I have a DV6245 running XP (wiped Vista) that I bought in February. I haven't had any other issues with it.

2. SideSwipe

SideSwipe Notebook Virtuoso

checked device manager for it?

3. mariana

mariana Newbie

Yes, it's still listed.

4. SideSwipe

reinstall it.

when u enable wifi with the button, does it say wifi is enabled with a popup or something?

did u recently install any new programs?

have u tried clicking on the network icon in the taskbar at the bottom right of the screen and searching for the wifi spots?

5. mariana

mariana Newbie

When I enable wifi with the button, the light stays orange and there's no Wireless Assistant notification that it's been enabled.

The only program I installed recently was FlickrDwn (to download all of my photos from Flickr at once).

And no, I can't find any wireless spots.

I tried reinstalling it, and that didn't help. Still doesn't work.

6. Zcott

Zcott Notebook Consultant

It might seem like a basic question, but have you tried restarting your machine?

7. mariana

mariana Newbie

A few times.

8. mujjuman

mujjuman Notebook Deity

i think the button itself is broken.... save all your work to a DVD/CD etc and reinstall Vista (otherwise warranty is cancelled) and call hp warranty.

9. SideSwipe

well try and go back to the point before the installation or before you had this problem and see if it works.

if not then try formatting and reinstalling, and if this doesnt work then yeah the button is probably broken.

10. BMan12

BMan12 Notebook Enthusiast

my 6500t has done that before, where hp's wireless assistant says that WLAN has been disabled no matter which way i had the switch. I went into the device manager and disabled the network adapter then re-enabled it. worked fine after that.

11. mujjuman

mujjuman Notebook Deity

hopefully that works

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.