Wifi Connection Really Bad On One Floor?

Discussion in 'Networking and Wireless' started by Drew1, May 14, 2021.

1. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The original two routers i looked at

TP-Link AC1750 Smart WiFi Router (Archer A7) -Dual Band Gigabit Wireless Internet Router - 58+tax

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079JD7F7G/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Price and value seem very good. But this isn't wifi 6. Also when i read reviews, i did read some people say signal isn't that good etc. So my first link in my previous post is much better in signal with the antenneas compared to this one? I guess this would be great to buy only if you are living in a one story home or an apartment?

NETGEAR Nighthawk Smart Wi-Fi Router, R6700 - AC1750 - 80+tax

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R2AZLD2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

This is probably the worst router to buy out of the 7 choices i listed now? First off, the price went all the way up to 80 dollars plus tax now. Its not wifi 6 and its netgear? Because there are many wifi 6 routers i listed in my previous two posts which cost less than this even.

Again the main thing here is i want the signal to be strong ... from the second floor all the way to the basement.

So on these 7 routers i listed, would most here agree the TP-Link WiFi 6 Router AX1800 Smart WiFi Router (Archer AX21) - 89+tax

is the best option here?
    Thanks.

2. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Going with anything AX based will provide the benefits you're looking for. Not only does it extend the 2.4Ghz signal for penetrating walls / floors it also bumps the speed up from the AC levels.

TP-Link WiFi 6 Router AX1800 Smart WiFi Router (Archer AX21) - 89+tax
    NETGEAR 4-Stream AX1800 WiFi 6 Router (RAX20-100NAS) - 60+tax

TP-Link WiFi 6 Router AX1800 Smart WiFi Router (Archer AX20) – 802.11ax - 131+tax
    TP-Link Wifi 6 AX1500 Smart WiFi Router (Archer AX10) – 802.11ax Router, 70+tax - If you don't need the USB option this would work fine.

TP-Link AC1900 Smart WiFi Router (Archer A8) -High Speed MU-MIMO Wireless Router - 80+tax
    TP-Link AC1750 Smart WiFi Router (Archer A7) -Dual Band Gigabit Wireless Internet Router - 58+tax
    NETGEAR Nighthawk Smart Wi-Fi Router, R6700 - AC1750 - 80+tax

Based on prices I would narrow it down to the 2 bolded options. Since it's Amazon if you don't like them you can return them within 30 days w/o any fees if you mark them defective even if they're not.

Side by side they're pretty much the same but, if you want to attach a USB drive to them the Netgear wins with a USB 3 port vs the TP with USB 2.

If you want to get even nerdier about things looking at the chips info can give more insight....
    http://en.techinfodepot.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Qualcomm_Atheros#ax

Alternatively you could just go AP and hook it up to your existing router for WIFI that blows away the prepackaged list.

NETGEAR Wireless Access Point (WAX214) - $99.99 // AC adapter $129.99
    NETGEAR Wireless Access Point (WAX610) - $149.99 .// AC adapter $159.99

As for the AC adapter option over POE you can find the adapters for ~$5-10 vs the markup you see with the WAX214 $30 more which is ridiculous. Both are also rated for AX1800 which is just the aggregate WIFI speed of all clients being used together WIFI to WIFI since the LAN port on them is only 1gbps. If you consider the WAX610 then stepping up to the Zyxel NWA110AX might be a justified contender as well as it's the same price.

I guess for you it comes down to price / performance / USB? More importantly penetration of walls / floors for reaching everywhere. The case for the AP's might get scratched off the list for the option of adding Antennae to extend the reach of the other options. Grabbing a couple of RP-SMA antennae with better reach is an option and fairly cheap ~$20 When I was using the QNAP AC card in my deployment I used these antennae / bases.

[​IMG]
    The bases gave me about a 6-8 foot spread of the 2 antennae. https://www.data-alliance.net/ When playing around with RF you can improve things or hinder them if not placed correctly as they can cancel each other out depending on the antenna patterns / placement. If you wanted to you could just get the bases and put the OE antenna onto them. Since the above routers have 4 antennae on them you could take 2 bases and get more reach but locating the antennae in different positions.

This all goes beyond the scope of picking a cheap but effective router but, it's an option if you're wanting coverage w/o paying for multiple routers to extend the signal penetration / coverage.

3. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Okay those were 2 of the choices I was looking at most likely. The AX1500, you say its fine if you don't use the usb option. Can you explain what is meant by this? I don't know what use of the usb is for this. What surprised me was lot of bad reviews recent for this one though compared to the AX1800.

I think I will just go with the first option most likely AX1800. You are fine with that then right? So if it works, then great. If not, then maybe mesh or return it? But you agree do not get anything that is not AX right? Thing is i read other forums that wifi 6 isn't necessary and most of your current devices don't even have wifi 6 capabilities and thus not needed..

4. Tech Junky

Reputations:
    Some of the MFG's add a USB port to a router where you can connect devices to them for network use i.e. printer / HDD / etc.

not AC

Needed / Wanted is always a debate. I can speak from experience with AC/AX devices on my AP work better / smoother with AX over AC. Traffic management is better with AX and you'll see better speeds / penetration with AX.

AX1800 isn't the highest but, it's better than 1500. Like I said before if it's not strong enough you can add different Antennae fir better signal strength or at least bases to spread out the signal from the Router. If you really don't like it then return it and try something else. If neither of them work then think about going with a dedicated AP instead of a router as they are designed for WIFI in a business environment where there's more issues with signal.

Bottom line you can do it once and do it right or do it multiple times and waste your time. If it's a defect it might work with a replacement or find something different to replace it with.

5. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Okay but how is the AX1800 better than 1500? You mention it has usb... then again we never use that and probably never will. But does it say the signal is much better? When looking through reviews, the recent ones... i see so many negative things about the 1500 compared to the AX1800.

I also looked at mesh wifi on amazon and saw these

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Deco...ld=1&keywords=mesh+wifi&qid=1625954000&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Deco...ld=1&keywords=mesh+wifi&qid=1625954000&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Deco...d=1&keywords=mesh+wifi&qid=1625954000&sr=8-10

So the third option cost same as the AX1800. But these are the same it seems, just new upgraded versions each time.

Would you choose either of these easily over the AX1800?

6. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I just thought about something else which I didn't consider. Back then, i would use my laptop/desktop wired with an ethernet to the cable modem/router as i never liked using wifi. Because the modem and router right now is in the second floor... does that mean if i buy the mesh wifi and thus have three mesh devices and put one on each floor... second floor, first floor and basement... if i wanted to use my laptop on the first floor or basement and connect it via ethernet... i can do this?

Asking this because i couldn't use wired internet no more since the modem and router is on the second floor and i would be on the first floor or basement only when i use the wif there.

Also i just thought about this now. But i dont think i ever did any firmware upgrade to the old netgear n600 router. Do you think doing that might improve the range or anything like that? Again we had it for years and i don't remember even doing any firmware upgrade or anything like that.

Okay so right now i will most likely get the AX1800. Now let say the signal isn't that good all the way to the basement. It should have no issue on the second floor since that is where it will be. And I don't think there would be much issue on the first floor.

Now we have two story house with basement and each floor is around 750 square feet, so its like 2250 square foot house.

Which wifi extender could i buy to make the issue better? The thing is this tp link router will cost 90 dollars plus tax. So if i get a wifi extender... i will most likely need only just one for the basement right and not necessary for first floor? So let say it cost 35 dollars or so... now you pay around 125 dollars plus tax at least.... but if you buy the 3 mesh wifi... that will cost how much? Because i see some deco TP ones that are reasonably priced. The deco 3 cost exact same as the tp link router.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2021
  7. Tech Junky

Reputations:
    Yes, some pods offer an Ethernet jack on the back. but, we were talking routers and not MESH

NO

The 1800 is speed not SQ FT.

Instead of messing around with pods just get a good AP and mount it on the ceiling on the 1st floor and be done with it. $100-$150 and keep it simple.

8. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Someone told me the netgear ax1800 you recommended along with the tp link 1750 doesn't have high power fem which is improving signal coverage. Do you know anything about this? They said the tp link ax1800 does have this though.

What about getting one of those tp link deco mesh wifi system then? I see there is 3, 4, 5 and 6. The thing is the tp link ax1800 is 90+ tax. All these tp link deco is at least that amount... 90 dollars, 130 dollars, 150 dollars or 170 dollars.

The thing though i read is those mesh with tp link deco isn't good because there is no privacy? I read they record all websites you visit which isn't good for privacy. Do you have thoughts on this? That is the one thing with me not wanting to go with mesh. Also i read some articles that said mesh isn't that good if you want lot of speed? Some articles say if you want lot of speed, you want the regular router and not mesh?

9. Tech Junky

Reputations:
    So, you started this thread 5/14 and most of these questions have been answered.

Order a ROUTER from Amazon and if it doesn't work order another one to swap out and return the original choice for free.

If you wan to do things properly it might not be CHEAP.

Properly would mean a new router and probably adding an AP connected to it to extend coverage. An AP gives you 100% of the BW vs the pods which reduce BW by 50% as they use BW to communicate back to each other. This wouldn't be an issue if they supply 1gbps in BW which nets you 500mbps in WIFI BW. If you hardwire the pods they will give you 100% of BW.

For $250 or so you should be able to fix your coverage / speed issues.

10. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Tis is what someone else tells me

All tp-link deco M3, M4, M5 and m9 seem to have an ethernet port problem that does not exceed 100 Mbps. So do not buy tp-link deco. Take the tp-link ax 1800 router + extenter to make a wifi mesh system. The triband is supposed to be better but according to the reviews there is no difference with non-triband system.

Yes, the TP-Link Wifi 6 AX1500 Smart WiFi Router (Archer AX10) is supposed to have less range.

The extender must be in the basement but if the signal is too weak the extender will not connect to the router then it will have to be put on the first floor and see the speed in the basement with the extender on the first floor. The waves will cross the ground with a high flow which comes from the extender.

The ethernet ports of the mesh system on the first floor and in the basement are there so as not to have a more or less fluctuating speed of the wifi.

Can others confirm here the TP Link Deco doesn't allow you to exceed 100 Mbps on wifi? If so that is ridiculous. So basically if you get a mesh system, you are sacrificing fast speeds for signal coverage right? But how come i don't see any talk of this on the amazon reviews for these tp link deco?

They suggested to get the AX1800 and one extender to be put in the basement and that is the best option. Do you agree with this? They say this is like a mesh network as well with the extender.

Is that why you never suggested a mesh wifi?