Wifi Connection Really Bad On One Floor?

Discussion in 'Networking and Wireless' started by Drew1, May 14, 2021.

1. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So the netgear n600 router that i been using, it only gets max 100mbps via ethernet... and it will be a bit slower via wifi then right? Then why did it advertise 300mbps+300bmps then? I bought this router many years ago... might been 5 years or so... had no idea this router came out 10 years already.

I took a look at that netgear ax1800 that cost about 10 dollars more than the two routers i linked. But what is so good about this one? The reviews are good but it doesn't have anywhere as much reviews as the netgear and TP Link one i listed.

Well I don't need a cable modem... i need a router. Because they would be getting verizon fios. I believe we have to get our own router or pay for router rental which is ridiculous.

Well the thing is i saw these two routers i listed and seem to have very good reviews and many reviews. Again i had no idea my router was so old... that its max 100mbps etc.

I mean i see lot of routers that are $100 and $150 and up and i thought that isn't necessary because they wouldnt ever get that 1gb speed for internet. They only getting the 300mbps speed from verizon fios. So wouldn't getting a really expensive router that is $150+ just not necessary?

The ones i listed seem to be more than fast enough for the 300mbps from verizon fios.

2. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So either of the two i posted would be more than sufficient right? If so, which one is better... the netgear or TP link? In terms of speed, both are up to 1750mpbs right? But why they say the tp link is 450mbps for 2.4ghz and 1300 mbps for 5ghz? Because if you are choosing either 2.4ghz or 5ghz, then aren't the max mbps you get going to be 1300 mbps and not 1750mbp? But why doesn't netgear router show an amount of mbps for 2.4ghz compared to 5ghz? Also in the tp link router, it says when comparing different tp link routers... this one is good for up to 300mbps. But other ones are good for up to 450mbps, or 1000mbps etc. So basically the TP Link is sort of like a budget router still? So they are saying if you got like 1000mbps speed... this tp link router wouldn't be good enough? Then again, it says if you are on 5ghz... its up to 1300mbps.

3. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    YES

If you're doing adhoc PC <> PC over wifi transfers it might be able to exceed the 100mbps limitation of the physical ports

Mostly the fact that it puts you in CURRENT technology with AX vs AC and will provide better results over AC

First off AC was released almost 10 years ago as well.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In addition to AX being another leap forward there's some behind the scenes improvements to how traffic is managed and forwarded across your network / through the router.

OKAY... beyond the 300mbps mental barrier here.... If say someone is hosting a media "server" to stream video within the house to a TV or tablet or whatever... Having the additional bandwidth internally keeps things flowing w/o buffering or interrupting the show/movie. While most video only takes ~25mbps if you're pushing 4K video you can easily hit 100mbps with higher bitrates associated with the video + audio (5.1/7.1).

As for AX I just picked the cheapest router that came up that wasn't a no name knockoff from china. As for the $100-$150 routers they may be more substantial in durability or offer "features" that are appealing but in reality don't do much. Sometimes those "features" cause more issues than not having them turned on at all. Some of them enable QOS and slow the rest of your traffic down in the process or lockup the router and cause it to reboot frequently. Some offer antivirus others offer x y z.

You make it sound like you don't actually spend time in this location? Why not have them pickup what they want and connect it to the FIOS box?

------------------------------------------

Ok... the whole 1000000000mbps stuff is mostly marketing of the internal speeds as you will bottleneck at the 1gbps port sped leaving the location onto the ISP backbone.

As you can see the graphic above shows the max physical data rate per technology... WIFI ONLY... still limited to the physical egress port speed and data only moves as fast as the slowest connection. The 2.4ghz band provides 150mbps / user. So, if the equipment on both sides allows for bundling and is dual transmit / dual receive you can get 300mbps out of it as a SU or 2 users get 150mbps/ea.

There are other settings on 2.4 you can tweak manually and aren't usually enabled out of the box such as bumping the spectrum to 40hz instead of default 20hz in effect doubling your speed.

for 5ghz it's an entirely different beast when it comes to speed/distance due to the higher spectrum it travels shorter distances but, enables a larger pipe for data to travel through. 2.4 max is 40hz and 5ghz can go up to 160hz which is 4X the bandwidth at the expense of distance from the router.

Another thing that plays into this trickery of marketing numbers / speed being advertised is the WIFI MODULE and the number of antennae you have hooked up to it. Laptops typically max out at 2 and cheap OEM's ship crap card with a single antenna most of the time. The newer AX technology takes those 2 antennae and works some magic to get a more stable connection and organizes the traffic better than AC did to speed things up.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Most of the benefits of AX are realized with the changes in how things get sliced up and pushed across the air. Smaller slices are easier to bundle together into a limited packet size. The methodology shift from AC to AX is potentially as big as going from N to AC. The reason I say potentially is because we're still not even seeing the full potential of AX being realized w/ WIFI6E / 6GHZ bands being produced and used yet. Freeing us from the 5GHZ band will be like having your private highway w/o RF leaks slowing you down.

Personally I held out on AX a bit longer than I normally would due to my setup and wanting to keep things internal on my hybrid "router / server" and was going to wait for a AX based internal card to be released but, that doesn't seem to be happening anytime soon with Intel dominating the AX field and routers mostly being extremely high cost. The same is going to be an issue with 6E / 6GHZ for a little while and with the chip shortages going on with the pandemic it's likely going to be very costly to procure equipment anytime soon.

$10 isn't going to break the bank. Now if it was hundreds that's a different story for some.

4. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Okay so you have this AX netgear router you are talking about right? I see the price now is $50 now.

The thing is how come there aren't that many reviews on it compared to the TP Link or Netgear router i posted though?

This is what confuses me. I mean the TP link one got so many good reviews and is amazon best seller. So isn't that a very good option? Also if say in the future, i get 1 gigabyte internet... would that $58 TP Link router be good enough? I mean it has to right since it advertises up to 450mbps for 2.4ghz and 1300mbps for 5ghz? Also speaking of that... anyone that has internet speed of like 1 gigabyte speed... almost all these people make sure to put their wifi on 5ghz as oppose to 2.4ghz right? Reason being since most routers... even the most expensive ones don't go higher than like 574mbps on 2.4ghz?

Look at these two TP Link routers that are more expensive.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08H8ZLKKK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085288G3M/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=AWJMXP5IJRVY4&psc=1

These advertise up to 1.8ghz speed and say 574mbps on 2.4 ghz and 1200mbps on 5ghz.

So these two routers... would be much more faster than the two i linked earlier right? Then again, isn't this not necessary since the verizon fios would be 300mbps speed... and thus this isn't even necessary? Thus the TP link and Netgear ones i linked earlier would be more than enough? So if you use it on 2.4ghz... then its faster on the more expensive router. If using 5ghz, its faster on the cheaper routers?

But if in the future, let say i get 1000mbps internet speed from fios. Would the TP Link and Netgear i posted earlier but good enough? Or it wouldn't be able to take advantage of the full 1000mbps? It does say that TP Link the cheaper one i posted can do 450mbps for 2.4 ghz and 1300 mbps for 5ghz. If that is the case, how is this TP link not faster than the more expensive ones i linked then? I mean its faster 1300mbps>1200mbps on 5ghz... but slower 450mbps<574mpbs on 2.4ghz.

5. Tech Junky

Reputations:
    Just pick one.

6. Tech Junky

Reputations:
  7. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So you are saying the $60 TP link and netgear router is not current technology and modern then? Again im not that tech savy but the difference between those routers and the one you listed of netgear wifi 6 router means a big difference? Yea price difference is not much since its 10 dollars more... its just i see so many reviews from the other routers as oppose to the one you posted. But you do currently own this router right?

So the two $100 tp link routers i posted... that would be the best routers to have ... then the one you posted... and finally the $60 tp link or netgear router right? Are those $100 tp link routers wifi 6 as well?

Thus if i get the cheaper router, few years down the line, i would need to buy a new one? But if i get the one you linked or the $100 tp link routers, it would be good for many more years? Then again, aren't majority of users going to get something like the $60 tp link or netgear router compared to the much more expensive ones? Like i know how ppl say you don't need something like that as thats way more than you need etc. Like when i check the $60 tp link router on amazon, it does say its good for use up to 300mbps... then they list other tp link routers that would be good up to 450mbps, 600mbps, 1gig mbps etc. But could the $60 routers be good enough for 1gig internet if one was to upgrade to that in future? Again we going to get 300mbps only.

8. Tech Junky

Reputations:
    300mps is your link to the outside world

1gbps is your internal stuff - streaming / file transfers / backups

WIFI6 was released in the past couple of years vs WIFI5 (AC) almost 10 years as shown in the graphics

if it's a $10 difference for something more reliable why wouldn't you go with that?

You're spending way too much time not pulling the trigger as you could have had the router above for $10 cheaper but, now it went up to $10 more.

You asked for a recommendation and I gave you an alternative that's up to date and in the same price range. Set a price alert for a lower price on the WIFI6 above or bite the bullet and just snag one and be happier longer. Just because there may be more reviews for the other 2 because they're older models doesn't mean it's a better buy in the long run. Lots of people buy stuff on Amazon and don't bother leaving a review because it's not a priority. There's even the chance the seller's paid for reviews to bump their ranking in the display order. Based on the technical performance / personal use of WIFI6 with the correct AX210 WIFI card it's superior to the AC. Even w/o upgrading your WIFI card you'll see better handling of traffic.

9. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well the price of it now is 60 dollars. But when i read the reviews, the recent ones, its not good though? What has me confused is why is it some routers that are not wifi 6 cost even more than routers like this netgear one that is wifi 6? Also i mentioned the current router we have is netgear c600... and for some reason i don't want a netgear anymore for some reason

This is what im strongly leaning towards. Do you say okay to this?

TP-Link WiFi 6 Router AX1800 Smart WiFi Router (Archer AX21) - 89+tax

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08H8ZLKKK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

10. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Like to update on this. Well apparently we are going to stick with optimum online.

As of now, still undecided on which router to buy. But im leaning towards the first link i post below because its wifi 6 and has very good reviews... mention it has many antennas and signal strength is very good from reviews. Again two floors and basement.

TP-Link WiFi 6 Router AX1800 Smart WiFi Router (Archer AX21) - 89+tax

NETGEAR 4-Stream AX1800 WiFi 6 Router (RAX20-100NAS) - 60+tax

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-4-St...keywords=netgear+ax1800&qid=1625724337&sr=8-4

Recommended by you because this is wifi 6 and very cheap. But reviews don't seem that good though?

TP-Link Wifi 6 AX1500 Smart WiFi Router (Archer AX10) – 802.11ax Router, 70+tax

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Wire...4378&sprefix=tp+link+router+ax,aps,847&sr=8-1

Wifi 6 but cheaper version of my first choice? Review don't seem as good

TP-Link AC1900 Smart WiFi Router (Archer A8) -High Speed MU-MIMO Wireless Router - 80+tax

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-AC19...keywords=tp+link+router&qid=1625722875&sr=8-9

More Expensive router than the two wifi 6 routers above but not wifi 6? Anyone know why this is priced so much higher than the wifi 6 routers above?

TP-Link WiFi 6 Router AX1800 Smart WiFi Router (Archer AX20) – 802.11ax - 131+tax

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085288G3M/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=AWJMXP5IJRVY4&psc=1

Completely unnecessary?