WiFi 6E Introduced

Discussion in 'Networking and Wireless' started by WhatsThePoint, Jan 3, 2020.

1. Aivxtla

Aivxtla Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    SmallNetbulder has their preview out as well since a few days, Tim Higgins did some 5Ghz vs 6Ghz performance testing.
    https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wir...iew-with-asus-gt-axe11000-rog-rapture?start=1

I'm limited by NDA so I can't speak as to my own 5 Ghz vs 6 Ghz testing details but his data is pretty good.

I think 6Ghz is going to take a hit till or if the FCC passes the upgrade from 5Mhz to 8Mhz/dBm Power Spectrum Density (PSD), which some incumbents maybe against, ie TV stations, satellite service providers etc. 6Ghz doesn't surpass/catch up to 5Ghz power levels wise till HT160 at present.

Some more info if people are interested:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/solut...2-11ax-solution/nb-06-wi-fi-6e-wp-cte-en.html

Not much loss in signal, strength granted a 3dbm loss is a halfing of the signal strength, from the beginning of 5Ghz to end of 6Ghz.
    [​IMG]

https://www.mist.com/power-spectral-density/

5Ghz vs 6Ghz (6Ghz uses constant PSD)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
    Papusan and WhatsThePoint like this.
  2. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Papusan and WhatsThePoint like this.
  3. WhatsThePoint

WhatsThePoint Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I looked closer at the tweaktown review and not seeing any mention of the wireless card being used and the driver version.
    I've sent the reviewer a message asking for more info.

4. Aivxtla

Reputations:
    Tim used my instructions to get 6Ghz working for his testing. To enable 6Ghz you need 20.30.0.11 driver and W10 20H2, but Intel hasn't officialy enabled 6Ghz in the drivers. Even if you enable it you need to use OWE (Open Access), WPA3 on 6Ghz requires SAE-H2E (Hash to Element) and to get that you need W10 21H1 preview plus a NDA protected intermediary driver which Intel won't give regular users.

I tried to put a support request with Intel for 6Ghz support hoping for a beta driver but was told to wait till W10 21H1... Intel won't have driver support till after 20H1 drops in May or June.... Likely a beta driver may drop in the meantime.

5. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Papusan, downloads and etern4l like this.
  6. Aivxtla

Reputations:
    Right now only a few mobile devices like the galaxy S21 have fully working 6Ghz with WPA3... and I believe Intel's updated firmware for Linux should also be working in full, with Kernel 5.11, I tested with the older firmware where it wouldn't connect though it detected it a few weeks ago.

Would I buy one now and at that cost? Probably not, but for those who decided to buy a 6E router or want to buy one regardless because they are enthusiasts and especially for those who are on the fence if they should buy one, this thread would be pretty useful.

7. Tech Junky

Reputations:
    Well, WPA3 is working on my 2 clients that support it and the AP I'm connecting to. Null Issue here

My server/router is running 5.11 already as well but doesn't factor into the authentication as the AP is doing it now instead of wpasupplicant/hostapd as before with the internal card hosting.

The biggest issue is finding a host/AP to test these things with since the current AP is 6 not 6E. I'm making some headway with Zyxel though on getting the QOS issue resolved and potentially implementing a 80+80 configuration in the next release to boost bandwidth.

$550 + tons of issues doesn't make for a viable venture into 6E at this point.

I've been considering the idea of 5G instead of paying Comcast since you can get Visible (VZW) for $40/mo unlimited... just need a 5G AP with a sim slot to truly cut the cord.

downloads likes this.
  8. Aivxtla

Reputations:
    I think most firmware issues should be rectified as these are just rehashes of the old AX11000s using the same radios, chipsets...but newer filters. As I mentioned previously WPA3 on 6Ghz is not like 5Ghz... it requires SAE-H2E (Hash to Element) which W10 and Intel's current driver don't support.

As for HT80+80 if you mean split bonding and not HT160, that's probably a lost cause as outside of routers like the R7800/R9000/RAX120, very few clients would support it and from what I heard the hardware overhead may not be worth it especially since 6Ghz offers a lot more 160Mhz channels..

Someone by the name of Fatwan on SNB Forums brought up the fact that current filters used in routers for 6Ghz actually are not good for the first 160 Mhz block of the 6Ghz band so the likes of the Asus AX11000E and any 6E router coming in the next few months would be missing that section of 6Ghz. Apparently the new filters supporting the entire 6E band are only entering the supply chain now. So probably another revision of 6E routers before we get fully capable products.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  9. Tech Junky

Reputations:
    For the 80+80 I was only speaking of the AX not AXE AP I'm running currently.

Speaking of drivers I was speed testing and Intel prompted for a new driver after a couple of them 22.30.0.11 Funny how those prompts come up when you're actually testing things. Had to do some channel changes since the 40/42 chan's weren't pushing bandwidth properly and switched to 128 and back in the high 700's for testing through VPN.

Anyway... Filtering spectrum is always an issue until someone comes up with the right recipe and then releases the cookie cutter template everyone else ends up using once it's perfected.

10. Tech Junky

Reputations:
    https://www.senaonetworks.com/en/products/enterprise-wi-fi/indoor-access-points/wifi6-triband/

This looks like a beast sporting 6E+ 5GE on the ethernet port.

Not sure how they come in with pricing though It does have 4:4:4 though which is appealing for those with tons of clients but even w/ 2 clients you both get 2x2 w/o interference with each other.

Potentially they're rebranded in the US as Engenius when looking up their current AX AP - ECW230
    https://www.senaonetworks.com/en/products/enterprise-wi-fi/indoor-access-points/wifi6-dualband/
    https://www.engeniustech.com/engeni...ged-wi-fi-6-4x4-indoor-wireless-access-point/