WiFi 6E Introduced

Discussion in 'Networking and Wireless' started by WhatsThePoint, Jan 3, 2020.

1. WhatsThePoint

WhatsThePoint Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Today the Wi-Fi Alliance introduced new terminology to distinguish forthcoming Wi-Fi 6 ahead of CES 2020 that starts next week.

Current Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac) and Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax) devices use 2.4GHz and 5GHz radio frequencies to transmit relatively huge quantities of data at homes, businesses, and schools. Wi-Fi 6E extends the latter standard’s support to include adjacent 6GHz frequencies, with 14 additional 80MHz channels and seven additional 160MHz channels to serve as extra wireless pipes for data.

New adapters and routers coming?

https://www.wi-fi.org/discover-wi-fi/wi-fi-certified-6

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
  2. Starlight5

Starlight5 Don't call me Chris, my name is Elvis

Reputations:
    ****. I just bought a Wi-Fi 6 router...

Spartan@HIDevolution and hmscott like this.
  3. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Yup, just before a major electronics products conference is really the worst time to go out and purchase new hardware... I've got lists and I can't act on them until I hear what's what for 2020 release, starting with CES 2020.

Starlight5 likes this.
  4. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    and usual with technology, now it's a yesterware router

Papusan, Starlight5 and hmscott like this.
  5. Aivxtla

Aivxtla Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    To be honest none of the current WiFi 6 routers even support all the draft AX features, plus AX finalization is taking longer than expected. Some newer 2nd gen Qualcomm chipset based routers/APs are only now coming out on the market with support for all draft specs. I remember WhatsThePoint said a while back that maybe they can be added in later but as I suspected most of the first gen half hazard AX implementation routers won’t get all the features and even if they do get some additional features it may be in a non working/detrimental hack job fashion.

Best to wait like a year minimum when a new standard is announced to actually get a full spec product. Initial testing with a Broadcom based Mesh AP on SmallNetbuilder wasn’t very promising with at least the Uplink OFDMA. Then again manufacturers these days just seem good at including things just to tick boxes than to properly implement new features in a proper working manner just like Broadcom’s mess with MU-MIMO earlier.

Hopefully by the time actual 6E routers appear, all the standard AX features will be implemented in those new chipsets.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
    Starlight5, hmscott and alexhawker like this.
  6. StormJumper

StormJumper Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I wait til there is actual hardware not pre-post hardware. Also if your devices aren't WiFi 6 your wasting good money that can be first spent on hardware upgrades first.

7. WhatsThePoint

Reputations:
    hmscott likes this.
  8. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I haven't heard, has the FCC approved the 6ghz unlicensed use by "Wifi 6E" already? I thought it was still up in the air, as there are licensed usage in that proposed frequency range:

Wi-Fi Alliance Announces Wi-Fi 6E Moniker for 802.11ax in the 6 GHz Spectrum
    by Ganesh T S on January 6, 2020 3:35 PM EST
    https://www.anandtech.com/show/1532...-6e-moniker-for-80211ax-in-the-6-ghz-spectrum

"Unlicensed Operation in the 6 GHz Band
    The FCC has been considering the opening up of the 6 GHz band (essentially, the 1.2 GHz unlicensed spectrum span just above the currently used 5 GHz band) for unlicensed operation.

Wideband unlicensed channels of 160 MHz and more may become essential to achieve expected performance from 802.11ax, 802.11be, 4G LTE, and 5G NR in unlicensed spectrum. Opening up a continuous 1200 MHz chunk will enable substantial amount of new bandwidth over multiple wide bandwidth channels.

Unfortunately, even though there are no currently unlicensed users of the 6 GHz band, certain fixed wireless point-to-point long-range deployments are licensed to utilize it.

Wi-Fi platform vendors such as Qualcomm and Broadcom have been confident of working with those users to prevent any interference.

Their key message to the licensed incumbents is that any Wi-Fi deployment in the 6 GHz band would use LPI (low-power indoor) operation and can also implement AFC (automated frequency coordination).

LPI operation, for example, may impose restrictions on the total EIRP (effective isotropically radiated power) and PSD (power spectral density) for Wi-Fi devices. This will prevent interference due to low power levels and substantial building losses."

That's not that long ago... I haven't heard of any updates, so maybe we shouldn't get excited about it until it's allowed by the FCC explicitly? Has anyone seen any new ruling as of late?

This has been going on since at least 2018, and it looks like it's still not through the process of approval through the FCC:

FCC filing: Support for full-width 6 GHz Wi-Fi gathers momentum
    [BREAKING NEWS] by Claus Hetting | February 13, 2020
    https://wifinowglobal.com/news-and-...-for-full-width-6-ghz-wi-fi-gathers-momentum/

"...The group – which includes Apple, Amazon, Facebook, Google, Microsoft, Comcast, Charter, Broadcom, and many more – say they “urge the Commission to designate all 1200 megahertz of the 6 GHz band for unlicensed use, with appropriate measures to ensure incumbent licensees are protected from harmful interference.” The filing comes in response to opposing forces advocating for first clearing and since licensing parts of the 6 GHz band. Read the full filing here.

The FCC is expected by most to issue a final ruling on the 6 GHz band within the first half of this year. "

Note this quote of their letter to the FCC:

"Yet no new mid-band unlicensed spectrum suitable for Wi-Fi has been made available in the United States since before the smartphone was introduced."

That's a long time without an allocation even though it's been asked for many times in the interim. It would be unusual for the FCC to override the wishes of the current 6ghz license holders quickly, a clearing process could last for years.

The answer by Ajit Pai to the Senator Murkowski's request on 6ghz allocation seems definitive, that the FCC will protect incumbent license holders 6ghz allocation for technical reasons if they exist, not political pressure:

January 24, 2020
    Chairman Pai’s Response to Senator Murkowski Regarding 6 GHz
    https://www.fcc.gov/chairman-pais-letters-congress

We all know how Ajit Pai ignores public demands, taking his guidance from industry influence over incumbent public requests, so the enthusiasm from the Wifi Industry and their level of expectation may be warranted.

Given the potential for a changing of the guard coming in early 2021, Ajit Pai may be motivated to comply with the industry requests for Wifi expansion while he can...

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    Aivxtla and alexhawker like this.
  9. WhatsThePoint

Reputations:
    Starlight5 and Aivxtla like this.
  10. WhatsThePoint

Reputations: