WiFi 6 + Intel AX200. What to really expect?

Discussion in 'Networking and Wireless' started by Tyranus07, Sep 9, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Tyranus07

Tyranus07 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I know that 867 Mbps is the maximum throughput including the 802.11ac header and IP header, so the max theoretical of TCP payload has to be around 80% of 867 Mbps = 694 Mbps

In that case I'm getting up-average 39% of max and down-average 65% of max. Do you think my speeds are ok?

I found this interesting article:

MAC INEFFICIENCYThe degradation in MAC efficiency is asmall factthat is usually left unspoken. In the ‘old’ 802.11n standard operating at 20 MHz the MAC operated with over85% efficiency.By comparison, the 802.11ac MAC efficiency is 65%. We are ‘wasting’ 20% more time on overheads.

https://www.winncom.com/images/stories/GoNet_WP_Things_they_dont_tell_about_80211ac.pdf

2. Aivxtla

Aivxtla Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah it's pretty decent, also remember the client such as a laptop or mobile device generally has a weaker output (though not always) than the router so it makes sense in regards to the upload. Best sustained on actual transfers I've seen on a 9260 AC or AX200 at HT80 on 5 Ghz (AC) is around 80-85 MB/s (640-680 Mbps) down and 60-65 MB/s Up (480-520 Mbps) on the few Dell Latitudes and Precisions I tested.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020 at 2:32 PM
    Starlight5 likes this.
  3. downloads

downloads Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    @Tyranus07 Your average speeds are allright-ish. Keep in mind that most of the time people will mention speeds they reach as in the best one they have seen, not an actual average. So you'd be comparing your actual speed to someone else's best effort.

Apart from that there are so many environmental variables with Wi-Fi that you have to leave a lot of wiggle room for what would be considered confidence interval in statistical terms.

Aivxtla likes this.
  4. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I tend to hit 60-70MB/s over AC. It's consistent with the settings I have in my self built box of many trades and expert of none. If I could get hostapd to unlock 160mhz channels and work in a stable manner I would blow it out of the water with up to 1.7gbps like the Netgear router I had successfully gotten working. The card I'm using with hostapd has the same chipsets as the Netgear so in theory if hostapd was working to the extent that documentation says it should then life would be just a smidge better than it is now.

Mind you the 60-70B/s is symmetrical speeds when pulling / pushing files. Meaning I'll see those speeds in either direction but, usually only dong one direction at any given time other than some basic beacons in the background from other devices.

The ideal situation is to make sure both the Card / AP have a similar setup whether 2x2 or 4x4 or more depending on the technology. Maximize the throughput with the antennae on both sides. OEM cards tend to ship 1x1 and simple upgrades like a 9260 fix some of that doubling you from 433 to 867 which is typical even these days for most clients / AP's to negotiate to unless you opt for AX then the options are there for more but, it's mostly marketing since you can't typically get those speeds end-to-end anyway.

If you're in need of a refresh anyway then go for it... otherwise it's not really worth the cash unless you're speeds are really really slow and unbearable. For instance if you weren't on AC already just that upgrade gives you 8X the speed of BGN. Going from AX >> AX just introduces more streams available for more devices and a way to keep them passing traffic simultaneously in congested environments. Sure, if you're in a dense area of signals it might alleviate some issues if you're close enough to the AP all of the time to use the 3rd band to negate the interference from others around you.