Wide Bandwidth AX Access Point?

Discussion in 'Networking and Wireless' started by vaio.phil, Oct 12, 2021 at 11:34 AM.

1. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    700mbps for the 110 seems a bit low. even a 2x2 single client should be able to hit the right numbers like an AC multibeam. The Intel AX210 card for AX-E is a 2x2 which I'm using with the AP.

I think some of the testers / writers don't have a full understanding on this stuff. If you setup the network A-Z with proper hardware it works as designed. If you mix in an AC card with an AX AP you won't see 900+ over wifi because AC is 866 and w/ overhead it's going to be significantly less.

For testing this stuff the clients have to be capable of handling the kind of throughput enabled by the setup. Making sure you knock out any bottlenecks from the mode / router / AP / client and segregating the 2.4 / 5 bands / clients from each other improves the performance. Trust me when I say you don't want to be duriing a sports car in rush hour traffic with a manual transmission because your leg will get tired and cramp. With the 2.4 clients being mostly a/b/g/n they throw more road blocks in timing into the equation causing your AC/AX clients to have to hit the clutch more often to allow the other traffic to merge.

2. vaio.phil

vaio.phil Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That tester sounded pretty sharp. He tested 4 APs the same time and the 210AX came up tops. Anyways I just looked behind/inside the wall. Looks like my small project just turned into a bigger project. The cable will have to go around some studs/framing and there's more custom sheetrock work to make it look pretty (wireless).

3. Tech Junky

Reputations:
    Yeah, mounting / installing out of the way can get to be a huge project. If I were going that route I would probably follow the wiring for my doorbell as it's centrally mounted less than 10 feet from where I have it sitting on a bookshelf. The doorbell is an easy option because there's access / low voltage line run already that goes back to a box that is prewired for ethernet to other locations wire throughout. Would make it easy to bridge things from the wall / box / to another wall / server.

If you don't want to run cabling twice use Cat6 but, if the length is reasonable you can get away with cat5E and still run @ 2.5GE.

4. vaio.phil

vaio.phil Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have some leftover cat 6e cable from the previous projects... soon will cut it to the appropriate length and crimp the connectors (giant 1000 ft roll/box, some DIY projects here and there). All those rolls/boxes of network cables came from Fry's and Fry's is sadly no longer around. Anyways will find the shortest path and string this network cable from the open hallway/wall to behind the TV/entertainment area/wall where i have some network ports handy. The amazon van just brought over the POE injector and NWA110AX (couldn't cancel this in time). So i'm toying with them now and trying to figure which way to point it.

5. Tech Junky

Reputations:
    Sounds like you've been thinking about this for awhile now. I just lay mine on a bookshelf I use for a media stand. If you're doing a mounted it should work in either position but, I would opt for ceiling for better coverage radiation out from center.