Wide Bandwidth AX Access Point?

Discussion in 'Networking and Wireless' started by vaio.phil, Oct 12, 2021.

1. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    700mbps for the 110 seems a bit low. even a 2x2 single client should be able to hit the right numbers like an AC multibeam. The Intel AX210 card for AX-E is a 2x2 which I'm using with the AP.

I think some of the testers / writers don't have a full understanding on this stuff. If you setup the network A-Z with proper hardware it works as designed. If you mix in an AC card with an AX AP you won't see 900+ over wifi because AC is 866 and w/ overhead it's going to be significantly less.

For testing this stuff the clients have to be capable of handling the kind of throughput enabled by the setup. Making sure you knock out any bottlenecks from the mode / router / AP / client and segregating the 2.4 / 5 bands / clients from each other improves the performance. Trust me when I say you don't want to be duriing a sports car in rush hour traffic with a manual transmission because your leg will get tired and cramp. With the 2.4 clients being mostly a/b/g/n they throw more road blocks in timing into the equation causing your AC/AX clients to have to hit the clutch more often to allow the other traffic to merge.

2. vaio.phil

vaio.phil Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That tester sounded pretty sharp. He tested 4 APs the same time and the 210AX came up tops. Anyways I just looked behind/inside the wall. Looks like my small project just turned into a bigger project. The cable will have to go around some studs/framing and there's more custom sheetrock work to make it look pretty (wireless).

3. Tech Junky

Reputations:
    Yeah, mounting / installing out of the way can get to be a huge project. If I were going that route I would probably follow the wiring for my doorbell as it's centrally mounted less than 10 feet from where I have it sitting on a bookshelf. The doorbell is an easy option because there's access / low voltage line run already that goes back to a box that is prewired for ethernet to other locations wire throughout. Would make it easy to bridge things from the wall / box / to another wall / server.

If you don't want to run cabling twice use Cat6 but, if the length is reasonable you can get away with cat5E and still run @ 2.5GE.

4. vaio.phil

Reputations:
    I have some leftover cat 6e cable from the previous projects... soon will cut it to the appropriate length and crimp the connectors (giant 1000 ft roll/box, some DIY projects here and there). All those rolls/boxes of network cables came from Fry's and Fry's is sadly no longer around. Anyways will find the shortest path and string this network cable from the open hallway/wall to behind the TV/entertainment area/wall where i have some network ports handy. The amazon van just brought over the POE injector and NWA110AX (couldn't cancel this in time). So i'm toying with them now and trying to figure which way to point it.

5. Tech Junky

Reputations:
    Sounds like you've been thinking about this for awhile now. I just lay mine on a bookshelf I use for a media stand. If you're doing a mounted it should work in either position but, I would opt for ceiling for better coverage radiation out from center.

Spartan@HIDevolution likes this.
  6. vaio.phil

Reputations:
    ok all done and it's working ultra good!
    Thank you Tech Junky for the Zyxel 160 MHz bandwidth setup method/info. It helped me a lot!

Since i have both the Zyxel NWA110AX and NWA210AX... i got to speedtest.net both lol.

Laptop is the Dell XPS 15 with intel AX210 wi-fi module. Phone is a Samsung S21 Ultra. Internet is Comcast/Xfinity with their 800 mbits/sec service.

NWA110AX: Fastest i could get is 652.87 mbits/sec to my laptop in the normal spot (formal dining room table, 14 ft away LoS). Phone is 529 to 650 mbits/s at my 3 favorite spots (all LoS too, 14 to 25 feet away).

NWA210AX with 160MHz bandwidth enabled: It's already 941.5 mbits/s to my laptop on the first try!! Same spot... and that's going thru 2 Netgear switches and a Cudy PoE500 injector! Phone is 905 to 935 mbits/s at my 3 same favorite spots. The internet speed with this NWA210AX is like standing next to the Asus RT-AX86U Zaku-II wi-fi router in the closet upstairs!! Ok i'm most definitely keeping/using this NWA210AX box!!

Install Pix-sm.jpg

Tech Junky likes this.
  7. vaio.phil

Reputations:
    That box runs warm. I have the Max Power setting enabled for both boxes too before running speedtest.net. I'll probably add a 3/4" thick spacer one of these days so that it's slightly further away from the ceiling.

Spartan@HIDevolution likes this.
  8. Tech Junky

Reputations:
    50% faster with the 210 is good to hear. I wondered how they would compare since they're fairly similar other than the 2x2 vs 4x4 = the 21- has the 2.5GE port on it for full speed backhaul. For the extra ~$70 getting closer to your subscribed speed makes it worthwhile.

When I first saw the AX210 + 110AX numbers I was worried and then the 210AX kicked its butt. I'm fairly certain with the 210AX/AX210 card combo hitting 1250mbps w/ VN on is the most they can do per client even though they sync up at 2400. Just waiting to fid out when they release a 6E AP w/ full 6ghz private band. Then we should be seeing some real full throttle speeds internally at least.

I'm glad it worked out for you though and you saved some $$$$ on other brands that charge 2X the price w/ 1/2 the speed.

9. Aivxtla

Aivxtla Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Its there for a reason. It’s not as simple at seems, it definitely can cause interference, would show like a line or wedge shape fashion on a radar map especially if multiple APs in neighborhoods are involved, some decent articles out there with decent explanations. Radars if I’m not mistaken often use high enough gain antennas to pick up these signals especially when in high concentrations it can be pretty intrusive.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
  10. downloads

downloads No, Dee Dee, no! Super Moderator

Reputations:
    It's there for a reason but it works like crap. The pastern recognition routines embedded in the radio chip firmware that are supposed to recognize weather radar are crap.
    I'm sure they recognize the radar - eventually, having reacted to everything else before.