Why Silver?!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by cowtech, Apr 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cowtech

cowtech Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Why is the majority of notebooks in America silver?!! Just my personal taste, but I prefer black notebooks.

2. Andrew Baxter

Andrew Baxter -

Reputations:
    Toshiba is using midnight blue for some cases and Dell has added the skyblue look to its line. But in general you are right, but I'd say silver is a lot better than the beige we suffered through once upon a time with desktop case colors!

3. cowtech

cowtech Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    That's true, I remember nothing but bland beige computers and nothing else.

4. Big Calhoun

Big Calhoun Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I think we, Americans, appreciate laptops more for their functionality than style. Personally, I appreciate good lines and style in any laptop that I purchase. But I've also felt that's why some of the more nicer laptops come out exclusively in Japan, they seem to appreciate detail more.

At least know you have smaller PC makers like Voodoo mixing it up a bit. Dell has a nice emblem, could be a little cleaner; and nothing beats Vaio violet IMO. As more people become comfortable with computers and purchase more laptops, the market should respond.

5. nobbie

nobbie Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Colors are determined by a variety of factors. Silver, in particular, is the obvious choice right now because it's the "in" color. Look at cars.

Silver imparts a solid metal connotation of strength and imperviousness. If it looks like metal, it must be as strong as metal, no?

I like black, too, but black has its issues. Hard to keep clean. Easy to lose sight of. Absorbs sunlight and gets hot easy. That kind of stuff. (Of course, I've had about five times as many black cars as silver. But my current car is silver. So what does that say?)

Nobbie[:p]

6. arcane

arcane Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm with cowtech - black notebooks look much nicer. On the same notion, I prefer a "squarer"-looking notebook, to the newer curvy designs. What can I say... I'm a sucker for Thinkpads! [:D]

7. nobbie

nobbie Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Lucky for you, then, that ThinkPads are black and square!

Nobbie[:p]