Why shouldnt I get a 1.0 liter engine car?

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by Ramzii, Aug 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MidnightSun

MidnightSun Emodicon

Reputations:
    Just read a Car and Driver article on the Audi A1 being sold in Germany - 1.2L 84 hp engine. While its acceleration isn't great, it isn't all too bad either (~11 seconds to 62 mph/100kph, I think), mainly because it's light. So, depending on what car you're looking at, it'll probably be a good daily commuter, although of course it won't be as fun to drive as a sports car with a large engine :rolleyes:

2. Ramzii

Ramzii Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Wow, this topic decided to just be what I wanted it to be, filled with car experts! ( compared to me, that doesnt take much )
    Thank you all very much for your expertise and answers/experiences.

Ofc. I dont mind. Its just.. that I have no idea! :eek:

Here's what I was thinking, dont laugh:

- Small car, 3 doors.
    - No diesel, too much tax
    - An asian car ( cheaper in maintenance? )
    - Preferably only 1, max. 2 previous owners
    - Between 1.0 & 1.8 L.
    - MPG or KPL.. about 1 L / 14 KM ? Thats not too expensive I think.

How much kilometers should an used car have max.? I was thinking anywhere between 150 and 200k. If more I should walk away.. right?

And Quote:

I doubt it, I usually take a month off. Renting a car for a whole month will cost me about €1000,-.
    Excluding gasoline, and the price I pay for the kilometers made.. a heap of dough.
    On the other hand, if my secondhand car breaks down during the roadtrip. hmm lets not think of that.

I remember asking this question, wait..

Would like to hear your advice on that red question. Overall advice about travelling large distances is more than welcome. :D

1. Dont go on a holiday.
    2. Take your future car and explore the roads of Europe!
    3. Just go by airplane, nimwit.

3. TofuTurkey

TofuTurkey Married a Champagne Mango

Reputations:
    How many mountains will the car be climbing? If it is going to be carrying a month's worth of clothes, more liters will be necessary :D I think the best bet would be to go for a test drive up some hills.

I have another crazy thought: why not buy a car just for the holiday, sell it when you get back? :D

I think the price of a car depreciates less over time. In the first couple of months for a new car, its price goes down really fast. The depreciation levels off after a while. So, I think the price difference between say 50k and 100k may not differ as much. Or so I think :eek: I would just focus on the budget, then pick one I like based on mileage as one consideration.

As for how long it can last, it depends on the brand/model. I think Subarus, Hondas and Toyotas generally have long lives. Also, if it uses a timing belt, that needs to be changed around 160km (100k miles). I believe manuals generally last longer than automatics, though they need the clutch to be changed too.

4. KimoT

KimoT Are we not men?

Reputations:
    I've crossed the US in a VW Cabriolet (about 80 HP). No trouble, even crossing the Blue Mountains. A 1.5 should do in most places, and still be economical in town. I, too, think a smaller engine in a light car with a manual transmission is more fun to drive than a heavier car, even with more power. My daily driver is a 1977 MGB with a 1.8/100 HP motor, and a 4-speed, and a modern engine will produce far more power in the same displacement than my car.

5. xxERIKxx

xxERIKxx Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeah my Honda civic has a 1.7l single cam that makes 115 hp/110 tq with a 5 speed manual. It is somewhat light too at 2400lbs with no driver so it can be fun to drive but I want more power. I also get about 40 mpg which helps because I drive up and down California all the time.

6. booboo12

booboo12 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    A Toyota Yaris might be a good choice, esp. secondhand. Also look at the Honda Jazz (Fit to us in NA) as that is very versatile for cargo managment.

EDIT: You mentioned frugal maintenace costs as a must. Well Honda Jazz apparently is reliable, but not so cheap to maintain: http://www.whatcar.com/car-reviews/used/honda/jazz-hatchback/full-review/23657-5#tabsection3

Ford's Fiesta and the Renault Modus apparently will have cheaper running costs than Jazz. Have you looked at the Suzuki Swift? That car seem's to be well liked.

7. catacylsm

catacylsm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Nissan micra k11, really light, beyond reliable, straight swap to the 1.3 engine if you get the 1l version.

Turboable if you've got the knowledge,

1l engine has 60bhp (Can be taken to 80 with some upgrades, not to expensive either)
    1.3l engine at 80bhp and can be taken to over 100 with some upgrades,

Did i mention its like 900kg in weight too?

can get some average (35-50 mpg depending on conditions.)

The acceleration in the 1.3 is very good though, your talking it being capable of 0-60 in 11 seconds stock. (Aslong as its healthy).

THEY'RE CHEAP!

8. linuxwanabe

linuxwanabe Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The Toyota Yaris is kinda crude. It's cheap, but it looks even cheaper. On the flip side, the Honda Jazz/Fit is far from cheap for what it is.

The Suzuki Swift is anything but Swift. It was sold in the United States for multiple generations, both as a Suzuki and as a "Geo" and Chevrolet - as well as a Pontiac in Canada. A lot of different efforts to rename a crappy little car. None were impressive. Arguably, the Geo Metro was the worst car available in North America after the Yugo bit the dust.

Currently, Suzuki is still a brand that sells best in 3rd world markets.

9. millermagic

millermagic Rockin the pinktop

Reputations:
    Suzuki is just one of those brands that I can't take serious. Extremely low volume. Kind of like Isuzu's "consumer" vehicles ... when I think of Isuzu I think of the rebadged S10.

10. Woodpigeon4

Woodpigeon4 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If you have no interest in cars and just want something cheap and reliable, most 1l cars will fit the bill. If you get one though, I can almost guarantee you'll have no fun at all with it. I've got a micra sport 1.6 as my "city" car, and whilst it's not exactly slow, it's noisy and is geared incredibly low - no fun to drive at all.
    Whenever I drive for any length of time I take my explorer - faster, more fun, and miles more comfortable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.