Why shouldnt I get a 1.0 liter engine car?

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by Ramzii, Aug 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. booboo12

booboo12 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    if you don't mind me asking, op, exactly which car are you considering?

2. coriolis

coriolis Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I love little Euro cars, I've vacationed there a few times and the roads and the streets of Europe just can't cater to v8 and v10 fatties, since alot of roads were created after the buildings, whereas in North America, roads and buildings were planned as one.

Once I finish school, I'm hoping to find a career in the UK, buy a small Turbo hatch and call it a day for the rest of my life haha :)

But if I'm staying in Canada, Gonna get me a Camaro SS, *drool*.

3. Jasp

Jasp Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Ive got a 1.6 honda civic sport Vtec and am more then happy with it coming from a 2l astra. On the Vtec its quite fun to drive and accelerates nicely while still doing over 40mpg on a run.

1.6 seems to be the sweet spot in terms of not getting screwed on insurance and tax but still having enough power to get out of trouble if need be.

Would i drive a 1.0 car? not a chance in hell their mostly crappy 3 cylinder engines that run like trains.

4. millermagic

millermagic Rockin the pinktop

Reputations:
    I'm not entirely sure train is what you're looking to compare to. When I think of a train engine, I think of a biiiiiig, smooth diesel with thousands or tens of thousands of footpounds of torque.

5. Jasp

Jasp Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Loud, annoying, uncomfy, generally unpleasant to be in yer id say train lol.

6. gdansk

gdansk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I thought I'd mention the obvious: gravity and hills. I'm quite certain these 1.0L cars are not geared, nor do they have the power, to properly go up the hills in my hometown. They're quite steep. Of course, if you live in Nebraska then that wouldn't be a problem.

7. xxERIKxx

xxERIKxx Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I drive a 1.7 liter Honda and the only good thing is the MPG.

8. r0b0t c0rpse

r0b0t c0rpse Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I come from America, and as you know we are wantonly irresponsible with our energy resources. I drive a 550 HP, all American (as long as you count germany, australia, mexico, canada, UK, as "America"), land based cruise missile, and I would be furious driving something as slow as a 1.0 L car. My throttle has 2 positions, idle and "balls to the walls". On street tires any blip of the throttle unleashes it's tire-shredding fury, as it viciously hunts for traction by clawing up the pavement. The sensation of hitting the throttle is similar to having "Connan the Barbarian" Arnold Schwarzenegger smash your face in with a 20 lb sledge hammer, or perhaps getting tackled at full speed by the entire Green-Bay Packers. It is a hybrid, burning both gas and rubber, so I feel like I'm doing my part for our blue marble. Huge brakes and custom KONI double adjustable coil overs helps me keep this animal reigned in, but it's like a rabid dog on a chain, constantly pulling against you to get loose. Keep in mind, displacement =\= everything. I seem to recall a smart car with a 1300 CC super bike engine in it running in the mid-high 13's in the 1/4 mile, which isn't terrible. A car should have enough power to put the car where you need it, when you need it, on demand. When it doesn't, like my winter car... 190 hp, 5900 lb 04 Blazer ZR2... it's depressing. If I actually liked that blazer, I would put an LS7 in it.

9. TofuTurkey

TofuTurkey Married a Champagne Mango

Reputations:
    I'm going to get a 1.3L car soon, yes I'm in the US. Depending on the weight of the car and its torque, it may not be so bad. I'm assuming that it's a manual, so you'll have quite some control over the gears.

For me, it'll be a reduction of two-thirds of my current car's horsepower. What I realized is that it's not so fun driving a high-horsey powered car: step on the accelerator, go fast. Big woop. It's much more fun fiddling with the gears, getting it right, than to be braindead stepping on the accelerator. The ultimate prize is that I can never get a speeding ticket: even if I actually am speeding, the cop will probably think, "There's no way that car can make that speed, my radar gun must be broken." :D

Exactly what I'm thinking...

10. booboo12

booboo12 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I drive a 85 horsepower, 1.9L Saturn SL1. While that seems horrible by today's standards, it's a pretty light car so it actually manages to get along quite well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.