Why people are not allowed to discuss by means of closing up the threads?

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions, Announcements and Guidelines' started by ivar, Jul 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ivar

ivar Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Sometimes threads are loosing their point and get closed. It's OK then.

However, sometimes the threads are closed even if the people do discuss the original subject. My recent protest against the closure of the thread related to the expected new Russian aggression against Georgia (in PM to a mod) was replied with ... a ban. I don't write rude or offensive PMs as it may be presented to justify the sanctions.

I would share my more specific observations, but I feel myself besieged by those who are presenting reasoned critics or disagreements as insults and then using it to ban.

I think the public action on this forum is needed in order to save its credibility from the arbitrary execution of moderators' power.

Please don't close/delete the thread. Let is live its life.

2. Howitzer225

Howitzer225 Death Company Dreadnought

Reputations:
    Because if the thread is left to run its course with the posts leading to nowhere or to some place else, the point of even establishing the thread would dissipate.

Closing a thread for reasons of keeping the forums in good shape is a professional way of doing it. That's why we have mods around here. Otherwise, this would simply be some sort of chatter box.

3. X2P

X2P COOLING | NBR Super Mod

Reputations:
    Honestly do you ever post anything positive? You are continuously making threads and they are always pessimistic and always just criticize or complain.

4. Fragilexx

Fragilexx Get'cha head in the game

Reputations:
    Also, sometimes threads are closed because, although the discussion is positive, it has been discussed many many many times before. A point in case would be 7.2K HDDs vs 5.4K HDDs. So many threads dedicated to the same thing.

Also, even though a thread is sometimes consisting of only reasoned critics, it can sometimes end up going round in circles. Some arguments simply have no straight answer.

At the end of the day, it is down to the moderators to determine if a thread should remain open or not. That is something we all accept. Most of the time it is justified. If you feel a specific thread closure is unjustified you should discuss this with the moderator in question rather than trying to sully them all. Personally I think they do a good job on a very busy forum.

5. Sam

Sam Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I'd like to quote crash, a fellow moderator, who sums it up quite well:

Furthermore, within the same day that Political closed, you posted two threads in Off Topic that asked for political discussion (it wasn't even implied, it was direct request for discussion). Just that in itself, violation of Forum Rules, is reason for infraction.

Threads are almost always discussed between moderators before closing - and even if a thread is closed without discussion, there usually will be a discussion afterwards. There's a lot of factors that go into the decision - including history.

Most of the moderators, if not all (and I can say I definitely follow this :p), are not "power-hungry-power-wielding-maniacs-throwing-out-bans-without-consultation" :p. We were all once ordinary members, most of us being members for over half a year or a year before being invited to become moderators. And no member is ever chosen to become moderator if they're power-hungry, strongly one-sided, or easily offended.

The decisions that need to be consulted are never black and white - they're shades of gray (where have we heard this before?). The easy decisions...are dealt with easily. Too often, when the difficult cases come around, any decision we moderators make will have some sort of downside, but we discussed them and weighed out the good and the bad - ultimately we decided x decision was the best one to make.

And no, I'm not closing this thread :p. If any moderator plans to, they have my full support and understanding. I just don't feel that I have been following this case close enough (I have been away from NBR in general for a while).

6. Xirurg

Xirurg ORLY???

Reputations:
    Sam, you made it sound like you work @ Pentagon :eek:

j/k of course :D

7. stewie

stewie What the deuce?

Reputations:
    A quote from a new movie I saw last night.

8. talin

talin Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    What happened to ivar? :confused:

9. narsnail

narsnail Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I will bet lots of money it had something to do with Russia

10. Budding

Budding Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yeah, Putin didn't like how close he was getting to the truth. Did I just post that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.