Why macbook?

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by danltu, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Rhodan

Rhodan NBR Expert of Nothing

Reputations:
    So you had a out of warranty hardware failure on your mac and warranty repair by Dell? Would Dell have repaired your system if it had been out of warranty?

2. batboygotoj

batboygotoj Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yea mac was out of warranty, and basically its a $300 flat rate. So if you have multiple failure it'll still be $300 so it can be good and bad. Dell they'll still repair the system out of warranty and the cost depends on what's being fixed.

This is their price atm I guess:

Minor Part
    Repair for your Hard Drive, Memory Issues, CD/DVD drive, Network & other Cards
    - Only $159
    Major Part
    ** Repair for your LCD, Motherboard, Solid State Drive or Processor
    - Only $269

3. KCETech1

KCETech1 Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I had an off warranty M4600 in, and Hinges and a DVD drive was a $100 repair. Memory check and replace seems to be parts plus $20. along with lots of other small issues ( Business models may be different than consumer )

4. jlp0209

jlp0209 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Fwiw, I just went through this myself. I've posted in the Lenovo forum, I'm currently awaiting delivery of a 3rd X1 Carbon, due to defects. Up until a month ago I had a 13" retina MBP and decided to sell it. While going through returned X1 Carbons I fell in love with the MacBook Air all over again and just got a 2015 refurb 13" from Apple that is as good as new. The X1 Carbon (when it arrives) *should* be my primary laptop + work laptop and MBA will be home + backup laptop. I have a feeling the Air will get a lot more use than I had planned.

It seems completely nonsensical to spend close to $1000 in 2016 on a laptop that has a 5 year old design, isn't the lightest, and has a 1440x900 TN screen. The experience as a whole is just so nice compared to every Windows laptop I've ever used, even Thinkpads, as great as they are. Mac has the best and most accurate touchpad ever. It isn't even close. I've used a Surface Pro 4, Dell XPS 13, and several Thinkpads. I am a huge TrackPoint fan. The smoothness, scrolling, accuracy and features of Mac touchpads are unrivaled, amazingly, in 2016.

Second reason is the battery, for me. The Air outlasts everything else out there for simply light web browsing and scrolling through PDF files for work. OS X is so power efficient.

Third is the screen. 16:10 is great. Yes the Air is TN. I'm an IPS nut, every other monitor and screen I own is IPS. But it isn't bad at all. I have grown to hate HiDPI and scaling over the past year, in Windows and OS X. It mostly looks awesome, but for work (remote desktop, other remote login programs) it is not good. Even 1440 x 900 scaled on a retina MBP has some blur to it, although it is decently sharp overall. Some lag w/ HiDPI as well but not bad. Windows scaling is an absolute joke. So, the Air is the only laptop of its kind- 13" and 16:10 native 1440 x 900 resolution. This is perfect for a 13" laptop and also 16:10 is far more useful than 16:9 on a 13" screen.

I will say Lenovo support is generally STELLAR. I've gotten through to someone pretty quickly and they are based in Atlanta which is good. Onsite service is great and quick assuming the replacement parts are in stock.

5. NK4

NK4 Newbie

Reputations:
    The OS and the build quality. If you are looking for hardcore performance to do some task the MacBooks are not your choice. If you., however is looking for a good everyday tool, that will make you feel very productive when working, the macbook is a good choice. Mine has lasted for over 5 years each so price/year is not that bad after all. The build quality of the products are way superior to anything I have had my hands on. Keyboards are super fast to type on in the new MBPs. Screens have excellent natural colors too. For programming web/apps the linux-in-a-nice-shell is really great.