Why is the Passion topic locked???????

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Sequoia225, Apr 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sequoia225

Sequoia225 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thats all I wanted to know.
    d

2. Underpantman

Underpantman Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I'm guessing cause it turned into a bit a Slat vs Quikster affair, and digressed off the topic a bit. Its funny how religion can get peoples blood boiling.
    [}:)]

3. Slat

Slat Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    <blockquote id='quote'>quote:<hr height='1' noshade id='quote'>Originally posted by Underpantman

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
  4. Underpantman

Reputations:
    Unfortunately I have not seen the movie, thus I can't disucss it that much with you. The reviews turned me off, that is the violence just sounded to much for me, and as I'm an athesist I doubt I would have coped to well with it as I would not have had the same emotional response as a christian. My wife did go the other nite, she is a little more open minded on the god issue but she only made it 1/4 of the way thru before the violence became to much and she left.
    That all I have to say about it !
    [:D]

5. Shua

Shua Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    if anyone is interested, I would still like to talk about the movie. Funny, how the other one got shut down, by the person making it into a theological discussion, and heated.

6. Shua

Shua Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    That's been a lot of the complaints, but if you compare the violence in this movie to some of the others out there, such as wasr movies, they are pretty similar. The only difference is that in the "Passion" all the violence is directed on one person, where as in the other movies it's directed to numerous people, so it seems like less violence. Anyways, I would say give it a try, but if not oh well.

7. Underpantman

Reputations:
    From my wife, and my impressions from others the problem with the violence is that it doesn't stop for 2 h. It is continually and there is very little story line to break it up. Thus it becomes v.hard to watch. To compare with other movies I really enjoyed kill bill, probably because it was almost humours violence, and I'm a bit of a sick bastard, however I found saving private ryan pushing my limits. I also found the last samauri to be over the top in places. Thus the theme is that I find depiction of realistic violence to be sometimes to much for myself. I also think that it is not necessary in some cases. Take for example the last samauri where about 30min in the japanese general gets his head cut off and you see his head fly off and role around on the ground. Personally this was too much, they should have stopped just as the blade struck his neck and my brain would have filed the rest in. I think this would be more powerfull as the brain can be much more imaginative than a picture.
    As I have no religous beliefs what so ever the passion would for me just be a 2h movie of a guy being brutially beaten to death. This is something that I am not going to pay $10 for infact you would have to pay me a hell of a lot of money (no pun intended)to see it.
    I respect that for some this movie will mean quite alot, and hopefully those people can also except that others dont and that difference is a good not bad thing. Just because people disagree doesn't mean you cant be friends. The world would be a much better place if people were more "I like you for you flaws" instead of "your with me or against me" mentality.

Anyway thats enough from me and sorry for my rant and the long post

a

8. Shua

Shua Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I totally understand where you are coming from. If that is what truly happend to this guy named Jesus, then it's just and acurate portrayal. No harm done. It's what He did for us. If you don't believe in that, that is your choice. I am not condeming you, I have athiest friends, and I am a Catholic missionary. I just pray for them. I don't push anyhting on them, just pray for them. We can all be friends. I am curious though, how you became athiest or did you always have those beliefs. Anyways, thanks for your feedback.

9. Underpantman

Reputations:
    They say curiousity killed the cat lol:) To answer i'm guessing its my scientific background. I have been a "non-believer" since I was about 14 I think, and I'm now a biochemist/cell biologist by trade, and I don't tend to believe in very much at all unless I can repeat it a minimum of 3 times independently. Even then I dont fully believe. Some find this lack of faith in anything disturbing. But I actually find it very liberating, as I choose to believe in myself instead(with a heavy focus on common sense and logic to get me through each day). I guess it is also strange as I went to a farily strict christain high school, I've read a fair bit of the bible etc etc, and I think that there are some good life pricipals in the bible and other holy books, but that is all I think those books are. Just a bunch of fictional stories that tell us how we should live our lifes. I think that one of the most important stories is to be respectful of others. I have a number of v.religous friends and we get along great because both parties accept that were different on one issue and repect that. Thus I think it is great that you are a missionary and also aviod forcing your beliefs on others. At the end of the day I figure if your beliefs and actions are not hurting anyone then whats the problem? The hard bit is defining what is good and bad. eg some think blowing yourself up is good while others think this is bad (myself included 2 wrongs never make a right).
    Anyway I hope this has quenched some of your curiousity, and I have enjoyed the chat.
    Feel free to ask more questions if you like
    :)
    a

10. Shua

Shua Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    thanks underpants, why the name? Also, what is your thoughts on what/how/who created us? Curious if you believe in a higher being or not? Just curious. Thanks for the insight. I am a people watcher (not a peeping tom), but someone who is very interested in how/why people do things. You've been a big help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.